Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Lakewood
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power loss from muffler delete?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clit_Beastwood View Post
    It's usually better to either do something right or not do it at all. Cutting off the muffler sounds exactly like you cut the muffler off. It doesn't sound like an exhaust system, it just sounds like a bastardized stock exhaust.

If you already have in your head that the Cobb is the sound you want, you won't be satisfied with fart piping your car - either get the Cobb you want or leave it alone until you can afford to do so. No other solution you nickel and dime is ever going to make you happy so long as your ideal sound is the Cobb. You'll always wonder "what if". You know what you want to do, just save up your money and do it. Do not worry about the diameter of the Cobb exhaust unless you plan on going big turbo; this information is plainly available on the forum if you look around.
    I went through a similar thought process and agree with Clit. Wanted to go off the shelf with FS Werks or Thermal but started with a muffler delete and a black single tip outlet. Sounded cool but it droned so bad that I replaced the stock res with a Vibrant the next weekend.

Super happy with the result but noticed the drone around 3-3.5k at 75mph on the highway. I spend most of my highway driving at 80mph so it got noticeable quick. Followed Clit’s post on a 1/4 wave resonator and got one installed last month. It’s not as aggressive sounding now but it sounds closer to stock at those speeds.

All in all if you have the time to visit the local exhaust shop but save some money, then go for it. Mine was really cool and learned more about exhaust systems. Otherwise, save up, find one used, or wait for Black Friday and do it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member 180 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Laguna beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sageese View Post
    I went through a similar thought process and agree with Clit. Wanted to go off the shelf with FS Werks or Thermal but started with a muffler delete and a black single tip outlet. Sounded cool but it droned so bad that I replaced the stock res with a Vibrant the next weekend.

Super happy with the result but noticed the drone around 3-3.5k at 75mph on the highway. I spend most of my highway driving at 80mph so it got noticeable quick. Followed Clit’s post on a 1/4 wave resonator and got one installed last month. It’s not as aggressive sounding now but it sounds closer to stock at those speeds.

All in all if you have the time to visit the local exhaust shop but save some money, then go for it. Mine was really cool and learned more about exhaust systems. Otherwise, save up, find one used, or wait for Black Friday and do it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad the quarter wave stuff helped you :) it kills the internal resonance but I assure you it sounds the same outside. It’s just not using the body of your car like it’s the body of a guitar now :D

Testing and development of my exhaust was probably... 1800? I’m not very budget sensitive, I was doing it for fun. With what I learned I could knock out another in stainless for probably 600-700. I went through multiple iterations for it to sound how I wanted. It makes more sense to buy off the shelf, but I regret nothing :D

I believe sound wise I’m equivalent to the thermal but smoother (that’s the ultra quiet for sure)

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Queens
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sageese View Post

Hmmm... I must research this wave resonator. I have been looking for used setups, but not much out there right now.

Member 180 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Laguna beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ts atseif View Post
    Hmmm... I must research this wave resonator. I have been looking for used setups, but not much out there right now.
    I made a thread about it. If you do a muffler delete you can record the sound and use the recording to figure out how long of a quarter wave res you need

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Queens
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clit_Beastwood View Post
    I made a thread about it. If you do a muffler delete you can record the sound and use the recording to figure out how long of a quarter wave res you need
    I will need this! I just did the delete and man oh man, HUGE drone!

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Queens
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I went with a single tip. Very happy with how it looks over the double.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123