Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Power loss from muffler delete?

It's usually better to either do something right or not do it at all. Cutting off the muffler sounds exactly like you cut the muffler off. It doesn't sound like an exhaust system, it just sounds like a bastardized stock exhaust.

If you already have in your head that the Cobb is the sound you want, you won't be satisfied with fart piping your car - either get the Cobb you want or leave it alone until you can afford to do so. No other solution you nickel and dime is ever going to make you happy so long as your ideal sound is the Cobb. You'll always wonder "what if". You know what you want to do, just save up your money and do it. Do not worry about the diameter of the Cobb exhaust unless you plan on going big turbo; this information is plainly available on the forum if you look around.
I went through a similar thought process and agree with Clit. Wanted to go off the shelf with FS Werks or Thermal but started with a muffler delete and a black single tip outlet. Sounded cool but it droned so bad that I replaced the stock res with a Vibrant the next weekend.

Super happy with the result but noticed the drone around 3-3.5k at 75mph on the highway. I spend most of my highway driving at 80mph so it got noticeable quick. Followed Clit’s post on a 1/4 wave resonator and got one installed last month. It’s not as aggressive sounding now but it sounds closer to stock at those speeds.

All in all if you have the time to visit the local exhaust shop but save some money, then go for it. Mine was really cool and learned more about exhaust systems. Otherwise, save up, find one used, or wait for Black Friday and do it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I went through a similar thought process and agree with Clit. Wanted to go off the shelf with FS Werks or Thermal but started with a muffler delete and a black single tip outlet. Sounded cool but it droned so bad that I replaced the stock res with a Vibrant the next weekend.

Super happy with the result but noticed the drone around 3-3.5k at 75mph on the highway. I spend most of my highway driving at 80mph so it got noticeable quick. Followed Clit’s post on a 1/4 wave resonator and got one installed last month. It’s not as aggressive sounding now but it sounds closer to stock at those speeds.

All in all if you have the time to visit the local exhaust shop but save some money, then go for it. Mine was really cool and learned more about exhaust systems. Otherwise, save up, find one used, or wait for Black Friday and do it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad the quarter wave stuff helped you :) it kills the internal resonance but I assure you it sounds the same outside. It’s just not using the body of your car like it’s the body of a guitar now :D

Testing and development of my exhaust was probably... 1800? I’m not very budget sensitive, I was doing it for fun. With what I learned I could knock out another in stainless for probably 600-700. I went through multiple iterations for it to sound how I wanted. It makes more sense to buy off the shelf, but I regret nothing :D

I believe sound wise I’m equivalent to the thermal but smoother (that’s the ultra quiet for sure)

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23

Hmmm... I must research this wave resonator. I have been looking for used setups, but not much out there right now.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hmmm... I must research this wave resonator. I have been looking for used setups, but not much out there right now.
I made a thread about it. If you do a muffler delete you can record the sound and use the recording to figure out how long of a quarter wave res you need

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
I made a thread about it. If you do a muffler delete you can record the sound and use the recording to figure out how long of a quarter wave res you need
I will need this! I just did the delete and man oh man, HUGE drone!

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
I went with a single tip. Very happy with how it looks over the double.

It's usually better to either do something right or not do it at all. Cutting off the muffler sounds exactly like you cut the muffler off. It doesn't sound like an exhaust system, it just sounds like a bastardized stock exhaust.

If you already have in your head that the Cobb is the sound you want, you won't be satisfied with fart piping your car - either get the Cobb you want or leave it alone until you can afford to do so. No other solution you nickel and dime is ever going to make you happy so long as your ideal sound is the Cobb. You'll always wonder "what if". You know what you want to do, just save up your money and do it. Do not worry about the diameter of the Cobb exhaust unless you plan on going big turbo; this information is plainly available on the forum if you look around.
I did the delete and an oval tip and it sounds great. No bastards here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk