Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Queens
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power loss from muffler delete?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everybody.

For those of you who have done muffler deletes, specifically without any other power mods done (i.e., stock), has anybody experienced any horsepower/torque/throttle response loss?

I have read a few posts regarding the topic as well as YouTube comments from muffler delete sound clips, and couldn't find anything conclusive.

Thanks for your time.
    -Ivan

Member 214 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Phoenix
    State
    AZ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a hotly debated topic in naturally aspirated engines but not really relevant for turbocharged engines.

The turbo will typically perform better with the most open exhaust possible but for our cars larger pipe diameter and even a cat delete do not yield much improvement due to the inherent restriction of the stock turbo.
    Fiesta ST and other car mods YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo...r4P2m-INw4BN5w

Mods: Cobb AP running Stratified E30 tune and Dizzy E30 tune, Injen SP Intake with modified AEM filter, Ramair Crossover Pipe, Whoosh Silicon Intake Pipe, 2014/15 OEM Evap lines, Whoosh FMIC, Turbosmart EM V2 Dualport, Mountune Radiator, Whoosh Silicone Radiator Hoses, Cobb RMM, Whoosh Hot Side Pipe, Custom 2.5 inch Catback, Whoosh Shifter Base Bushings, Whoosh Shifter Cable Bracket Bushings, Mountune Short Shift Kit, Hurst Shift Knob, Mojo Cubby Cover Plate, Reverse Camera via Forscan, Motegi MR116 17x7 wheels, Hikari H11 Phillips LED Headlight bulbs, XSPEED H11 3k color fog light LED bulbs, JDG Auto Sport Mode Module

Current Vehicles:
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST Black
    2018 Ford Explorer Dark Silver
    2019 Chevy ZR2 Colorado Orange

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Queens
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redmoe View Post
    This is a hotly debated topic in naturally aspirated engines but not really relevant for turbocharged engines.

The turbo will typically perform better with the most open exhaust possible but for our cars larger pipe diameter and even a cat delete do not yield much improvement due to the inherent restriction of the stock turbo.
    Right, that's exactly what I thought. Turbo needs bigger exhaust to perform better. With N/A, you would need more fuel, air to accompany the free'er flowing exhaust.

Let's be clear, I do not want more power , more power means AP, means possible warranty issues should arise. Just a louder exhaust without an actual power penalty

Member 180 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Laguna beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ts atseif View Post
    Right, that's exactly what I thought. Turbo needs bigger exhaust to perform better. With N/A, you would need more fuel, air to accompany the free'er flowing exhaust.

Let's be clear, I do not want more power , more power means AP, means possible warranty issues should arise. Just a louder exhaust without an actual power penalty
    If you do a straight muffler delete it shouldn’t do anything other than sound gross - though it might change the delivery of the power so you don’t feel a “kick” as much as a slow build if the muffler was really that restrictive.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Queens
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clit_Beastwood View Post
    If you do a straight muffler delete it shouldn’t do anything other than sound gross - though it might change the delivery of the power so you don’t feel a “kick” as much as a slow build if the muffler was really that restrictive.
    "Sound gross"? What do you recommend? I'm trying to be cost efficient and figured this was a good way to go about it. On the WRX I had , I installed axleback deletes. I personally thought they sounded great.

TBH, listening to clips of FiSTs with deletes, don't exactly inspire me, but I thinkit still sounds better than stock, and is a very affordable alternative to cat back.

So, what you're saying is, throttle response would be reduced? That would suck.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Pleasant Garden
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can you live with the exhaust drone everyday? Realize you do have a resonator in the front as well?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Queens
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ford ST View Post
    Can you live with the exhaust drone everyday? Realize you do have a resonator in the front as well?
    Yes and yes. I went through the whole, "res delete, muffler delete, res AND muffler delete" scenarios.
    I wouldn't want to do both, as I think that's heavily drone prone. Doing just the res doesnt yield much results according to what I've read/heard via YouTube.

The 3rd option that I've been playing around with is deleting the res and swapping out the stock muffler for a glasspack type. But I think the res does more for drone reduction than the muffler, considering its placement on the car.

A 4th option was deleting the muffler and swapping the stock res for a Vibrant res. But if I'm going that route, I might as well start with just the muffler delete and go from there.

Of course the 5th option is to lay down some serious "coin" for the Cobb catback (IMO, the best sounding of the aftermarket setups). But then there's the diameter of the piping that has to be considered, and do I need a tune (not going there). Muffler delete seems like the simplest and cheapest route that will yield considerable results.

As for drone specifically, I can live with some. My wrx had a decent amount with deletes on the highway at 70+ mph, and I got used to it.

Member 100 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Austin
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get an aluminized 3" mbrp with a discount code

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Laguna beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ts atseif View Post
    Yes and yes. I went through the whole, "res delete, muffler delete, res AND muffler delete" scenarios.
    I wouldn't want to do both, as I think that's heavily drone prone. Doing just the res doesnt yield much results according to what I've read/heard via YouTube.

The 3rd option that I've been playing around with is deleting the res and swapping out the stock muffler for a glasspack type. But I think the res does more for drone reduction than the muffler, considering its placement on the car.

A 4th option was deleting the muffler and swapping the stock res for a Vibrant res. But if I'm going that route, I might as well start with just the muffler delete and go from there.

Of course the 5th option is to lay down some serious "coin" for the Cobb catback (IMO, the best sounding of the aftermarket setups). But then there's the diameter of the piping that has to be considered, and do I need a tune (not going there). Muffler delete seems like the simplest and cheapest route that will yield considerable results.

As for drone specifically, I can live with some. My wrx had a decent amount with deletes on the highway at 70+ mph, and I got used to it.

It's usually better to either do something right or not do it at all. Cutting off the muffler sounds exactly like you cut the muffler off. It doesn't sound like an exhaust system, it just sounds like a bastardized stock exhaust.

If you already have in your head that the Cobb is the sound you want, you won't be satisfied with fart piping your car - either get the Cobb you want or leave it alone until you can afford to do so. No other solution you nickel and dime is ever going to make you happy so long as your ideal sound is the Cobb. You'll always wonder "what if". You know what you want to do, just save up your money and do it. Do not worry about the diameter of the Cobb exhaust unless you plan on going big turbo; this information is plainly available on the forum if you look around.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Laguna beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meowoosh View Post
    Get an aluminized 3" mbrp with a discount code
    heh but he *did* specify no drone :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast