Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How should I roundout an out-of-round intercooler inlet?

anticon

I bought a used MTC intercooler and it got dinged up during shipping. One of the inlets is mashed in a little. I think an exhaust pipe expander might work, I just wanted to see if anyone had a better way. I spent an hour or so straightening fins already. See the pics below. Thanks.

This is the side that is dented.

This is the other side for reference.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I bought a used MTC intercooler and it got dinged up during shipping. One of the inlets is mashed in a little. I think an exhaust pipe expander might work, I just wanted to see if anyone had a better way. I spent an hour or so straightening fins already. See the pics below. Thanks.

This is the side that is dented.

This is the other side for reference.
That's not very bad at all...if it was me I'd roll it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
anticon

anticon

Thread Starter #3
Do you mean just leave it as-is? I have considered that, but I figured with not much work I could put it back to round.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you mean just leave it as-is? I have considered that, but I figured with not much work I could put it back to round.
Yeap...its casted I'd be concerned with the potcast aluminum that it breaks....but if you know how...by all means. I've seen worse....another member was selling a dropped cp-e alittle bit ago.

DangerMouse

I would leave it as is. I was going to buy that guys cpe fmic cause my cpe is beat up already. After doing a ton of research it's not worth the risk on cast aluminum. Heating it can cause cracks, not heating it can cause cracks. It's a tough situation. Yours isn't too bad and won't affect flow.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd say t-bolt that clamp and screw type clamp....Double up...so find that juicy double....TyphoonFist in trouble....beggin for piece of that bubble.....ok I'm done....Murray makes a great double seal style screw clamp by the way....

Cool thanks, I will leave it as-is.
Did it work out?

I'm just echoing the other posts and saying I wouldn't try to adjust it at all.
I would be very concerned with cracks.

You should be fine with nice t-bolt clamps. If, you do end up with a leak I
would find a two part sandable epoxy that bonds to aluminum (3M). This
way you can fix the out of round part from the outside without moving the
metal at all. If you get the outside perfectly round the clamp will apply
pressure evenly.

That said, I doubt you will ever have a problem. Just a thought though.