Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune MRX Turbo Nightmare

Over the course of the past two months, I have been dealing with Mountune for multiple issues, the biggest being that I was not generating advertised HP. I know that many variables come into play here but I was not even close. Randy told me that I should see 27.5 lbs of boost, the highest I saw for a while was 19 lbs at 80% WG duty cycle. I did not want to go any further in fear of my WG failing and just gave up.

Randy had me check for all sorts of things. He was helpful in the sense that he had me looking at certain things, however, the frequency of responses were anywhere from 1-2 weeks at a time. Maybe I should have had it done professionally, you ask? I wanted the gratification for myself. He had me looking at boost leaks which revealed two at the BOV, this got me up to 23.5 - 24 (rarely, and yes this was my fault, not Mountune's).

He then told me that he believed my WG was preloaded from the factory incorrectly. The only way to adjust it would be to drop the turbo. I decided to accept that I was stuck with lackluster power and started exploring my options of the X47R. The only way I would drop the turbo again is if I were to replace it. This sounds silly but for those of you who have attempted this know this is a bear without a lift or a professional arsenal of tools.

Jason with Dizzy (love you man!!!) heard my frustrations on another post of mine and offered his help. He looked at my logs and agreed that something was very wrong and a lot of power was left on the table. I got under the car again and put a wrench on everything that I touched during installation. Nothing else found. After about 2,000 miles later (daily driver), my power began to degrade and valve chatter and turbo whistle got louder and louder. I finally got some time this afternoon to get her up on jacks and found that EVERY single bolt connecting the DP flange to the hotside compressor was loose with one nearly falling out completely I had a gap between the adapter and the compressor roughly an 1/8." Mind you, this flang is already bolted together when it arrives. It is preassembled, I would not think I would have to check these as I trusted the manufacturer.

I retorqued these and bingo! 27 psi now.... My post is to inform those of you with MRX kits to get under there and check your bolts so you do not have the same issue as me. I think I got lucky in a sense that I have stock exhaust and was able to tell that something was amiss. If I had an exhaust kit I am fearful that I would not have been able to hear the changes.

When you spend $2k for an upgrade, you expect top-notch quality and customer service, both have been subpar to say the least. I have learned my lesson and will check torques on everthing I can put a wrench on from now when I receive a part. I will not buy from Mountune again. I have emailed Mountune and I am waiting a response. I will update when I hear more.
MRX1.jpg MRX2.jpg MRX3.jpg

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
In the 240sx community it was quite common for SR powered cars to to loosen bolts over time. It was part of matinence to check your turbo bolts at the flanges to make sure they were tight. Quite a few used locktite or lock nuts. But ya bigger Turbos more power it can happen. Its not Mountunes fault.

OP
FiSTicuffs
Thread Starter #5
Yes. You blame yourself for the first shit install. Why not again?
Wow, thank you for the candid comment tough guy. When you buy a car, do you check every bolt to ensure it is tight? When things start falling off at 2,000 miles I am sure you would not blame anything you have done to the car so long as it was normal use, you would blame the manufacturer, correct? This is a component that arrives assembled, it is not part of the scope of installation. Maybe I didn't clarify that so you could not put 2 and 2 together. I hope this clears things up.

From a QA perspective, letting them know about this issue is good because now they can keep an eye on this for the future. But, I think you're being a bit dramatic here though I can understand why you'd be upset. What exactly do you want Mountune to do for you?

Also, removing the turbo is relatively easy, you don't need specialized tools or a lift at all.

OP
FiSTicuffs
Thread Starter #8
From a QA perspective, letting them know about this issue is good because now they can keep an eye on this for the future. But, I think you're being a bit dramatic here though I can understand why you'd be upset. What exactly do you want Mountune to do for you?

Also, removing the turbo is relatively easy, you don't need specialized tools or a lift at all.
I can accept that, I tend to get angered easily. That being said, I honestly do not want anything in particular from Mountune. I simply want them to ensure thier QA is tightened up so future customers are not placed in the same boat. I wanted to share this experience to make sure others are aware before installing their MRX kits.

Correct, you do not need a lift or specialized tools, I mentioned that it is not easy without one is all.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Do you believe this is acceptable after 2,000 miles?
Seen it. Question is did you check for factory torque secs for turbo stud nuts on our cars? Thing is there are a lot variables here and not trying to cast negative light on your install job but if certain things are not done this kind of thing can happen. It alsohas nothing to do with Mountunes Turbo. It is most likely an installation issue. If others were reporting the issue it would be well known.

In the SR world it was known to happen and there remedies. We saw factory engines with T25s ( bone stock) come in from Japan with loose nuts before. Not always though. These were low mileage engines out of Silvias amd 180sxā€™s

P.S. your issue has nothing to do with Mountunes QA, perhaps instructions about torque specs?

Again i do not know what they provide instruction wise and you did not say if yu torqued the bolts properly. Otherwise there is nothing wrong their product. This is purely an installation issue.

Last edited:
Do you believe this is acceptable after 2,000 miles?
No, it shouldn't have happened. The problem likely wasn't the original nut torque. The studs backed out of the turbo housing which is expected if no locking compound is applied. The problem with blue or red Loctite is that the heat will degrade it into uselessness. You must use GREEN Loctite that wicks into the joint after assembly.

Install the studs into the turbo and tighten them down to where the shoulder of the stud just contacts the turbo. Assemble the flange adapter onto the turbo and tighten. Then apply the GREEN Loctite on the studs (not the nuts!) right where they enter the turbo. Let it wick into the area and apply just a bit more.

Now, the studs should not back out of the turbo and you can still remove the nuts when needed. The turbo flange adapter installation onto the turbo should have been done correctly at the assembly point, however such assembly problems are very common. An experienced installer knows to check such things to be sure all assembly was done correctly. Not saying you as the consumer should have known, but since you did not, you had to bite the bullet and figure it out for yourself (the first time) and should make sure to do such things PRIOR to installation. .

OP
FiSTicuffs
Thread Starter #12
No, it shouldn't have happened. The problem likely wasn't the original nut torque. The studs backed out of the turbo housing which is expected if no locking compound is applied. The problem with blue or red Loctite is that the heat will degrade it into uselessness. You must use GREEN Loctite that wicks into the joint after assembly.

Install the studs into the turbo and tighten them down to where the shoulder of the stud just contacts the turbo. Assemble the flange adapter onto the turbo and tighten. Then apply the GREEN Loctite on the studs (not the nuts!) right where they enter the turbo. Let it wick into the area and apply just a bit more.

Now, the studs should not back out of the turbo and you can still remove the nuts when needed. The turbo flange adapter installation onto the turbo should have been done correctly at the assembly point, however such assembly problems are very common. An experienced installer knows to check such things to be sure all assembly was done correctly. Not saying you as the consumer should have known, but since you did not, you had to bite the bullet and figure it out for yourself (the first time) and should make sure to do such things PRIOR to installation. .
Great to know, I appreciate the tips

pwnall1337

Vendor
Hey [MENTION=7484]FiSTicuffs[/MENTION]

The same problem has been seen with the ATP bolt on kits. The bolts on the manifold to turbine adapters back out for some reason. We have not seen this issue with the x47r that we sell yet. I'm not entirely sure why the adapters are prone to losing bolts.

OP
FiSTicuffs
Thread Starter #14
Hey [MENTION=7484]FiSTicuffs[/MENTION]

The same problem has been seen with the ATP bolt on kits. The bolts on the manifold to turbine adapters back out for some reason. We have not seen this issue with the x47r that we sell yet. I'm not entirely sure why the adapters are prone to losing bolts.
Great to know, I have a stock turbo core exchange ready to go. I may be contacting you in the near future. Curious to see what comes of the X57 so I am going to hold off a bit. Thank you for reaching out!

I can accept that, I tend to get angered easily. That being said, I honestly do not want anything in particular from Mountune. I simply want them to ensure thier QA is tightened up so future customers are not placed in the same boat. I wanted to share this experience to make sure others are aware before installing their MRX kits.

Correct, you do not need a lift or specialized tools, I mentioned that it is not easy without one is all.
I know but you said you emailed them so i was curious. Anyway, it's good you let everybody know to check this, could save some grief for others. As far as the turbo removal goes it's subjective - when I did mine, I found it to be easier than I had initially thought but everybody has different experiences.

pwnall1337

Vendor
Great to know, I have a stock turbo core exchange ready to go. I may be contacting you in the near future. Curious to see what comes of the X57 so I am going to hold off a bit. Thank you for reaching out!
I don't typically accept cores, because the process is complicated shipping overseas, however because of your situation I would accept a core for a $200 discount towards an x47r. The x57r will be using casted components and will not re use the stock turbo housing.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Everyone replied for me. No point in beating the bush

You're being dramatic. You fixed your problem. Go on with your day. Enjoy boost cause we stock turbo guys can only dream