Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Will I Miss Not Having Recaros?

Hey everyone,

I have tracked down a FiST that 100% fits my specifications minus Recaro seats. The car has only 6k miles, listed for under $17k and as it is a 2017 model, the balance of 2 years and 30k miles of Ford's factory warranty still applies.

The main reason for me buying this car is to get out of my current Audi before it gets into timing belt range. My last Audi's engine blew, Audi rebuilt the head, then 15k miles later, it blew again... Sold the car and came to find out the Audi service techs doing the warranty work didn't put the timing chain guides in all the way, and eventually they just snapped off. I really just don't want to deal with this headache again, Audi service is a nightmare and are absolutely terrible people to deal with, and I want a car with cheaper maintenance in the first place. I am looking to find a car that will be reliable and save me money on fuel and maintenance down the road, while also being a fun platform for modding.

So here's the question... I've found a perfect FiST for my needs, but it doesn't have Recaro seats... Will I REALLY miss them? I am thinking the money I save on not purchasing with the seats will just go into mods, plus, from pictures it seams like the cloth seats have decent bolstering anyways.

Please take all of my concerns into consideration before telling me "dude, you need the recaro seats, buy a car with 100k miles on it and recaros or don't buy one at all." The point is for the car to be fairly new/reliable so I don't have to deal with any maintenance issues.

OP
B
Thread Starter #2
It's personal preference. The only way for you to know for sure is to sit in a FiST with Recaros and one without and compare. Mine has the base seats, since I personally hate leather seats and found the bolstering to be far too aggressive.
Thanks for the input, maybe I'll see if a local dealer has one and go for a drive. I have a wider back and sometimes aggressive seats just get uncomfortable. Leather seats also have a tendency to get VERY hot in the San Diego sun haha

I recommend sitting in both your body will know better than we will. Realize those recaros aren't race seats they lack loops for harness belts. So is it worth paying double the price of a race seat for less comfort than a stock seat and not getting the benefits of a real race seat?

My two rules where no sunroof no recaros. Put that money savings into race parts LOL

I think the recaros have seat warmers but you wouldn't need that in Socal either so...

As everyone states, sit in both by doing search on autotempest.com or cargurus.com. I liked the Recaros after sitting in both after visiting dealers.

Definitely need to try both. I sat in the standards and recaros. It was an easy choice for me after to go with the recaros.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I have had both. First fist had base seats for 75k miles. Was always happy with comfort and seating position etc. I wanted a new fist and wanted the recaros just so car was little different. First thing noticed and hated was how high recaros sat compared to base seats. They actually made me Hate driving my car. Yes they looked cool and held you in like crazy but it made me feel like was driving a mini van or something. Could never get in a good seating position. Traded them off for Base seats and fell back in love with driving it again. I just use a schroth harness for autocross. Ford screwed up on making the recaros so damn high.

OP
B
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was expecting for everyone to come back overwhelmingly for Recaro seats. I'll try them both out and see what I like. I'm kind of feeling based on the feedback that I'll go with the car I've already planned on buying, but we'll see.

I have had both. First fist had base seats for 75k miles. Was always happy with comfort and seating position etc. I wanted a new fist and wanted the recaros just so car was little different. First thing noticed and hated was how high recaros sat compared to base seats. They actually made me Hate driving my car. Yes they looked cool and held you in like crazy but it made me feel like was driving a mini van or something. Could never get in a good seating position. Traded them off for Base seats and fell back in love with driving it again. I just use a schroth harness for autocross. Ford screwed up on making the recaros so damn high.
Interesting point. My last Audi was lowered on COs and the seats went down quite far, I always loved the driving in a low position, and hate feeling like I'm driving an SUV. Thanks for the rec on Schroth harnesses as well, will look into them.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I sat in both, I did not like the fact that yes the Recaro seats raised you up..... But I loved the facf ghat they just hug you. I love sitting in them. While the base seats did sit lower I did not like the lack od side support bolstering. I bought the Recaro’s and I am looking into how to lower the seat.
In fact in reading this thread I have had a couple of ideas .

One is I am going to measure the difference between the seat custion height of the Recaro amd the base to see how much one really sits higher.
I have noticed the front of the Recaro base has metal on either side that could easily be sectioned down an inch as well. The rear looks like there is no room for mods.
I also notice the base of the stock seat in the front also is not as high on either side. This may be a lot of whats giving the higher seat feel effect.
This would partly be because the Recaro seats have a reverse rake that leans your body back and raises up your thighs . I am not tall and this was the first thing I noticed was it caused my legs to lift and drop rather than shoot more straight forward.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I like my Recaros a lot. They really help hold you in place in this quick, agile car. I did think they were a bit extreme when I first sat in them, but quickly got used to them and I wouldn't have the car without them. Mine were new and my research disclosed that they break in some from new, this obviously doesn't apply to used ones. I would note I'm 6' and 165 lb. so for bigger folks they could be tight, although my shoulders are fairly broad.
There were a few comments that said they didn't like how high the Recaros were, but just so you know, they are height-adjustable over a pretty broad range just by moving a lever on the side of the seat, so I can get the height where I like it.
As far as the non-comfort aspects, for me they give the car a bit more of a serious performance look and feel, and upscale the interior a bit. The FiST is probably the cheapest car you can get Recaros in, which is kind of neat.
Here's a good article about how they're made-
https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-a-small-obsessed-army-makes-recaro-seats-by-1531467486

Recaro has kept a relatively low profile outside the enthusiast world, but since you can have performance seats in Ford compacts now, they're becoming more familiar. That's come with some grumbling from fans of the brand who lament it's becoming less exclusive, but they can rest assured the same quality found in a Boss 302 Recaro seat is spread across all Recaros.

https://jalopnik.com/5964801/is-the...heapest-new-car-you-can-get-with-recaro-seats

Like its big brother the Focus ST, the mini hot-hatch Fiesta ST packs a pair of Recaro racing seats to hold your wide American ass in place while you engage in all the hoonage that 197 horsepower, 214 lb.-ft. turbo engine can muster.
This is awesome for a lot of reasons. Recaros are the racing seats to have, but they have long been the exclusive domain of high-end luxury and sports cars. Not anymore. The ST twins bring Recaros to the masses, and the pint-sized Fiesta ST may just be the cheapest new car you can get with that brand of racing seats.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I recommend sitting in both your body will know better than we will. Realize those recaros aren't race seats they lack loops for harness belts. So is it worth paying double the price of a race seat for less comfort than a stock seat and not getting the benefits of a real race seat?
EXACTLY my personal thoughts as well!
Everyone says, "well if you plan on open tracking/autocrossing you MUST GET the Recaros".
I totally disagree, as there ARE ways to hold yourself in the seat with the base set if that is a concern, or just put that saved $2000.00 (new) into a set of REAL seats, and screw the Joan Claybrook mandated exploding whoopee cushions in the factory Recaros.
(I also had a HORRID/co$tly experience with aftermarket Recaros, so I am NOT as blindly trusting of them having to be of 'top shelf quality/the epitome of ALL seats everywhere' as everyone else out there. [mad])

My two rules where no sunroof no recaros. Put that money savings into race parts LOL
I ORDERED my car, and yes, impatiently WAITED for it, just to NOT have to take the usual fully loaded and marked up, dealer lot cars in black, which seems to be the ONLY way they ever offered/dealer ordered for stock in the FiST around here.
(I wanted the lowest cost, LIGHTEST, simplest FiST I could have from the factory! ;) )

I also ordered because I wanted the Pilot Sport AS/3s as well, since I hated the factory wheels anyway, (IF they offered the black 'Focus Rally'/EAP wheels instead as an option, they would have been the ONLY option I checked the box for), and planned on (and DID) get aftermarket summer wheels/tires, and full-on real winter wheels/tires. [wink]

OP
B
Thread Starter #12
So it seems as more input comes in, my decision has become harder. I found a car with Recaro seats and will test drive it to see how I feel about them.

I feel like at the end of the day, going with the car I have already been looking at may make more sense and allow me to spend more $$$ on mods. We will see what the future brings. Stay tuned! Either way I'm a soon-to-be new FiST owner.

Business6

I really, really wanted the heated seats and side mirrors but I only had the chance to try the recaro package in a Focus ST and absolutely hated it. The seating position in that car is a bit different, though, and I really should have tried out a FiST with the package.

I've been considering adding the heated side mirrors and purchasing a heated seat kit and having it installed locally. Sure as hell would come in lower than $2000, lol

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I really, really wanted the heated seats and side mirrors but I only had the chance to try the recaro package in a Focus ST and absolutely hated it. The seating position in that car is a bit different, though, and I really should have tried out a FiST with the package.

I've been considering adding the heated side mirrors and purchasing a heated seat kit and having it installed locally. Sure as hell would come in lower than $2000, lol
Thats what a lot of people think. Thing is no one takes into account certain factors. First off not many if any of the Stock to Recaro seat conversions have been able to hook up the heated seat part.

No one has even attempted the heated mirrors as far as I know. I could be wrong, just never seen any.

Second off if you go FoST Recaros its labor hours to do the swap per having to switch te FoST Recaros to your stock Fiesta bases.

Plus making the airbag compatible. Now lots of people say no problem I can spend hours doing this myself. I don’t know about you but my time is money to the tune of $35-$55 an hour at least. So that adds into the cost.

Plus when you order the Recaro package the rear seats match.
For the extra 2k it was worth it to me. Though here is the other factor. You can get a Recaro equipped car these days for right right around $20-$21k .

Thats pretty cheap and for that price I consider the Recaro’s a no brainer. My car 2018 came in at $19,678 with Tri coat paint,Recaros and Ebony Wheels. I am quite happy with it. I am glad I did not try to save a couple of grand on price and then be in the boat of seeking better seats for the car.

Business6

Thats what a lot of people think. Thing is no one takes into account certain factors. First off not many if any of the Stock to Recaro seat conversions have been able to hook up the heated seat part.

No one has even attempted the heated mirrors as far as I know. I could be wrong, just never seen any.

Second off if you go FoST Recaros its labor hours to do the swap per having to switch te FoST Recaros to your stock Fiesta bases.

Plus making the airbag compatible. Now lots of people say no problem I can spend hours doing this myself. I don’t know about you but my time is money to the tune of $35-$55 an hour at least. So that adds into the cost.

Plus when you order the Recaro package the rear seats match.
For the extra 2k it was worth it to me. Though here is the other factor. You can get a Recaro equipped car these days for right right around $20-$21k .

Thats pretty cheap and for that price I consider the Recaro’s a no brainer. My car 2018 came in at $19,678 with Tri coat paint,Recaros and Ebony Wheels. I am quite happy with it. I am glad I did not try to save a couple of grand on price and then be in the boat of seeking better seats for the car.
I wasn't talking about a conversion. I test drove the FoST and the driving position combined with the massive bolsters from the recaros killed the driving experience. The bolster would get in the way on every shift into 2nd, 4th and 6th. I've never sat in a recaro FiST.

And while I wouldn't say the heated side mirrors are a common mod there are a number of people here who have done it. Apparently it's just plug and play and they're tied to the rear defogger.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I wasn't talking about a conversion. I test drove the FoST and the driving position combined with the massive bolsters from the recaros killed the driving experience. The bolster would get in the way on every shift into 2nd, 4th and 6th. I've never sat in a recaro FiST.

And while I wouldn't say the heated side mirrors are a common mod there are a number of people here who have done it. Apparently it's just plug and play and they're tied to the rear defogger.

The shifter position in the FoST is not the same area as the FiST. I do not have any bolster interference with my shift throws. As far as wiring the mirrors go. Are you good at wiring? Do you want to take the time.? If so go for it.
I am just providing you an example of the ther side of the coin a lot of people don’t take into consideration when going down these roads.
YOur mileage may vary. Cheers.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I laugh at the people saying need the recaros to hold you in. You gotta be doing some hella driving on street to
Need that. Also no smit to the person saying they are adjustable up and down. I bet this person has never sat in the base seat to compare. It wasn’t just the height that killed it for me. It was the angle of my legs to the pedals. Shifter position never felt as good with recaros also. I guess Americans are just use to driving suvs and trucks so it feels normal to them. I feel like 90% of people with recaros don’t know any better and it’s more Of being able to say they have recaros. Oh yeah head rest on recaros seemed to stick forward more with helmet but many of these car and coffee types on here prob don’t know that.

Just be sure to drive both

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I laugh at the people saying need the recaros to hold you in. You gotta be doing some hella driving on street to
Need that. Also no smit to the person saying they are adjustable up and down. I bet this person has never sat in the base seat to compare. It wasn’t just the height that killed it for me. It was the angle of my legs to the pedals. Shifter position never felt as good with recaros also. I guess Americans are just use to driving suvs and trucks so it feels normal to them. I feel like 90% of people with recaros don’t know any better and it’s more Of being able to say they have recaros. Oh yeah head rest on recaros seemed to stick forward more with helmet but many of these car and coffee types on here prob don’t know that.
W

Just be sure to drive both
I don’t think its a need to me it was just a seat feel. As in i like having the seat hug me vs the seat just being open like the base. As far as the seat itself goes I do think the positioning differences are two distinct areas one is the reverse rake which causes the angle of your legs to the peddles, that I mentioned earlier and the other is the height. Now I am personally looking into rememeding that.
I get what you mean about it as I noticed all of what you are talking about as well . It did not sway me from the fact that i just felt more strapped in the Recaros which is what I like.

Interesting thing though is my friend who is 5,9 sat in them and he was like this reminds of my seating postion I used to have in Shifter Kart. He raced Shifter Karts for several years. (They are about the closest thing to an F1 car in road feel you can get.)
Actually pretty awesome stuff.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I don’t think its a need to me it was just a seat feel. As in i like having the seat hug me vs the seat just being open like the base. As far as the seat itself goes I do think the positioning differences are two distinct areas one is the reverse rake which causes the angle of your legs to the peddles, that I mentioned earlier and the other is the height. Now I am personally looking into rememeding that.
I get what you mean about it as I noticed all of what you are talking about as well . It did not sway me from the fact that i just felt more strapped in the Recaros which is what I like.

Interesting thing though is my friend who is 5,9 sat in them and he was like this reminds of my seating postion I used to have in Shifter Kart. He raced Shifter Karts for several years. (They are about the closest thing to an F1 car in road feel you can get.)
Actually pretty awesome stuff.

Lol I have sat in race karts few times. I can understand the snug comparison but you are sitting on ground in a kart vs sitting up high with legs going straight down like driving an old 80s conversion van lol.