Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Will I Miss Not Having Recaros?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I figure if I ever use the st as more than a daily I can just have a driver’s seat made. No need for an aggressive passenger seat.
The only problem is that some of the open track run groups/sanctioning orgs require the same exact seat/restraint systems for the passenger as for the driver, due to the whole instructor ride along thing. [:(]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
EXACTLY my personal thoughts as well!
Everyone says, "well if you plan on open tracking/autocrossing you MUST GET the Recaros".
I totally disagree, as there ARE ways to hold yourself in the seat with the base set if that is a concern, or just put that saved $2000.00 (new) into a set of REAL seats, and screw the Joan Claybrook mandated exploding whoopee cushions in the factory Recaros.
(I also had a HORRID/co$tly experience with aftermarket Recaros, so I am NOT as blindly trusting of them having to be of 'top shelf quality/the epitome of ALL seats everywhere' as everyone else out there. [mad])

I ORDERED my car, and yes, impatiently WAITED for it, just to NOT have to take the usual fully loaded and marked up, dealer lot cars in black, which seems to be the ONLY way they ever offered/dealer ordered for stock in the FiST around here.
(I wanted the lowest cost, LIGHTEST, simplest FiST I could have from the factory! ;) )

I also ordered because I wanted the Pilot Sport AS/3s as well, since I hated the factory wheels anyway, (IF they offered the black 'Focus Rally'/EAP wheels instead as an option, they would have been the ONLY option I checked the box for), and planned on (and DID) get aftermarket summer wheels/tires, and full-on real winter wheels/tires. [wink]
Well said, the Recaro's aren't even set up for serious racing anyway, so they are pointless to spend the money for that. Also, the cars that come with all-seasons have nice ceramic front brakes as well, but I like the factory wheels as long as they are black, so black wheels w/red calipers is only option on mine, definitely didn't want the sunroof that's mostly behind your head anyway and adds weight to the top of the car... luckily at the time my dealer did have only the loaded one in stock but pulled mine from a dealer 50 miles away for me to get the exact color and options I wanted and gave me a great deal...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My original was an '09. Had the head rebuilt a month after I bought it under warranty. PCV was never replaced despite numerous recalls and updates (which I wasn't made aware of) causing the rear main seal to blow, which meant transmission had to come out, and the engine failed again 15k miles later (the week I moved to CA, so I couldn't deal with it), at which point I sold it and the new owner told me he had to rebuild the head AGAIN, and that the reason it failed was because Audi service techs didn't torque timing chain guides down, so over 15k miles, they backed out and the timing chain snapped off.
Ouch! Mine was an '07 with early DI engine, but was just the 2.0T, not too many probs with them other than the cam bucket/follower, which is not as a big deal on DI cars anymore, they have gotten much stronger. but mine had it's cam follower blow at 80k under CPO warranty by previous owner but still, after spending like $800 for the timing belt/water pump it developed an oil leak that would be another $500 after I had sunk in $3k the last 6 months, that was the last straw on that one... but yeah, wouldn't buy an Audi older than '15 now for sure, and I'm sticking to the simple 4 cylinders that don't have all the timing chain issues, just a timing belt every 120k.

Last off-topic post for sure, promise...

Good luck OP, these cars are very reliable now and fun to drive with or without Recaro's, just expect squeaks and rattles within a year with a stiff ride, only spring that softens the ride a bit while still helping overall is the Eibach, but most FiST's want even stiffer, not softer, personal choice... simple e30 tune and nothing else makes these cars have tire shredding torque from tiny turbo, but runs out of steam around 5k... only other thing to watch is the transmission, it can develop whine or grinding from bad axle half shafts or strangely low fluid from the factory, but literally all other major mechanical things were addressed by mid '16 model year. Engine is probably the most bullet-proof of ANY Ford makes, internals can handle almost 375 HP before needing upgrading and a hybrid turbo option for $1750 can get you 275 whp+ easily while still being reliable.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Somehow, I do NOT have any discernible squeaks or rattles after two years, and 12,500 miles of ownership from new, nor have I experienced the dreaded blend door actuator click/malfunction so many rant about. [dunno]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
^^^Somehow, I do NOT have any discernible squeaks or rattles after two years, and 12,500 miles of ownership from new, nor have I experienced the dreaded blend door actuator click/malfunction so many rant about. [dunno]
I'm at exactly 12.5k myself and just starting to hear a bit of squeaks not from random crap in my car door compartments, build quality has been very solid overall... i'm just making the comment as in general most people DO get some pretty early on, although mine aren't bad at all yet and no blend door issues either for me yet, I think that takes more time/miles, usually. :)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm at exactly 12.5k myself and just starting to hear a bit of squeaks not from random crap in my car door compartments, build quality has been very solid overall... i'm just making the comment as in general most people DO get some pretty early on, although mine aren't bad at all yet and no blend door issues either for me yet, I think that takes more time/miles, usually. :)
My driver's seat was super squeaky from 800 miles on.
Driver's side door handle paint wore through before 500 miles too :(

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My driver's seat was super squeaky from 800 miles on.
Driver's side door handle paint wore through before 500 miles too :(
Wow, no paint issues at all for me, and I don't even do any special care at all, not even a good hand wax yet, LOL... and you have the Recaro's right? I hear they can get squeaky pretty quickly...

Wow, no paint issues at all for me, and I don't even do any special care at all, not even a good hand wax yet, LOL... and you have the Recaro's right? I hear they can get squeaky pretty quickly...
My car has about 43k miles on it and I have never noticed any squeaks. But if I do now, I know who to blame! The only thing weird I have going on with my car is the thermostat or something with the AC makes a shit ton of clicking noise when the AC is turned off or on. Going to have to the dealer look at it in October when I get my next oil change.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My car has about 43k miles on it and I have never noticed any squeaks. But if I do now, I know who to blame! The only thing weird I have going on with my car is the thermostat or something with the AC makes a shit ton of clicking noise when the AC is turned off or on. Going to have to the dealer look at it in October when I get my next oil change.
If it sounds like someone is knocking and trying to get out of the dash....its most likely the Actuator...very common...There are a couple threads on it here already....just utilize El search button! [popcorn]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
That climate control clicking is the super famous blend door actuator failure. And I really hate to break it to you, but warranty for that runs out at 36k.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

That climate control clicking is the super famous blend door actuator failure. And I really hate to break it to you, but warranty for that runs out at 36k.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
If it sounds like someone is knocking and trying to get out of the dash....its most likely the Actuator...very common...There are a couple threads on it here already....just utilize El search button! [popcorn]
Meh, I don't feel like dealing with it. So the dealership can fix it next month during the oil change :D

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Meh, I don't feel like dealing with it. So the dealership can fix it next month during the oil change :D
Wha. wha, what? You don't even change your own oil? LOL, I'm fortunate to have a garage and curb side oil recycling, but I know how it is to not have time or the space to do it yourself... but definitely curious how much they charge for the blend door actuator, let us know what the damage is when you find out!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Wha. wha, what? You don't even change your own oil? LOL, I'm fortunate to have a garage and curb side oil recycling, but I know how it is to not have time or the space to do it yourself... but definitely curious how much they charge for the blend door actuator, let us know what the damage is when you find out!
Heh you don’t live in Cali, its not so easy to change oil on your own here these days. Unless you have a house with a drive way understanding neighbors lol. Jokes aside it is indeed difficult here if you live in a condo or townhouse forget it. If you have your own home better check city ordinances. Plus not all the recylcing by the cities are setup to handle oil.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Heh you don’t live in Cali, its not so easy to change oil on your own here these days. Unless you have a house with a drive way understanding neighbors lol. Jokes aside it is indeed difficult here if you live in a condo or townhouse forget it. If you have your own home better check city ordinances. Plus not all the recylcing by the cities are setup to handle oil.
Yeah, I lived down there for 4 years when I was in college and definitely just had my oil changes done for me... and yes, I'm now fortunate to have a 2 car garage with driveway, it's been fun getting my tool inventory built up, I just got a tool cart assembled, etc. I can do my own oil changes for $24 with good stuff vs. $80-90 for full synthetic and who knows what filter at the shops, but sounds like you already know to just get the oil change specials from the dealer, I think you can upgrade "The Works" from semi-synthetic to full synthetic and only be at about $50.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm not in Cali, but these faux snooty/uppity townhouse developments here (they think that they are some kind of billionaire's gated community, they are NOT!), with their draconian crazy rules forbid be from even opening my hood IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY!! [mad]

The only thing I am allowed to do in MY driveway, fine free, is WASH and WAX this car. [:(]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm not in Cali, but these faux snooty/uppity townhouse developments here (they think that they are some kind of billionaire's gated community, they are NOT!), with their draconian crazy rules forbid be from even opening my hood IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY!! [mad]

The only thing I am allowed to do in MY driveway, fine free, is WASH and WAX this car. [:(]
That just blows my mind, can't believe they have they have the legal authority to push the rules that far... Really? Can't even open the hood to top off your fluids?

I did all of the maintenance for the three Ford Rangers I’ve own over the years. I’ve gotten to a point where I don’t want to preform all of the little maintance stuff on my cars anymore. I would rather have the maintance and repairs done by a shop so it is recorded in the vehicle history. I would much rather do all of the mods and upgrades myself though. That is a the fun stuff. I think the Ford dealership in La Mesa charges me $60 for full synthetic oil. When I used to do my own oil changes, I would put the old oil back in the 5 quart container and take it O’Reillys. They recycle oil.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I will never live in a HOA I would rather die. I live in a rural area where everybody has at least one acre. I could park 30 cars in my yard upside down if I want to.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk