Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Have searched around a bit, still not quite sure.... Exhaust Q

So, I've looked and listened to pretty much every exhaust I can find for our car and the ones I have narrowed down to is the Tsudo (bang for the buck) and the Milltek. Only thing is that they're both 2.75" systems. Seems nobody makes a straight up 3in system with a catless or high flow downpipe. They all seem to neck down to the same 2.75 at the flange. Not a huge deal because I can have the flanges modded with proper 3in ones. Working at a machine shop with a bunch of good welders has its perks haha. So with that being said, would a bigger turbo (GT2860 etc) be limited by 2.75 at all? I mean it's damn near 3in......
I will say that I'm very surprised at how good the Tsudo system sounds.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Have you tried looking at 2J-Racing 3".
That's what I have and I am very happy.
I haven't heard from them in a while but they may still have some systems available.

Dave

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
So, I've looked and listened to pretty much every exhaust I can find for our car and the ones I have narrowed down to is the Tsudo (bang for the buck) and the Milltek. Only thing is that they're both 2.75" systems. Seems nobody makes a straight up 3in system with a catless or high flow downpipe. They all seem to neck down to the same 2.75 at the flange. Not a huge deal because I can have the flanges modded with proper 3in ones. Working at a machine shop with a bunch of good welders has its perks haha. So with that being said, would a bigger turbo (GT2860 etc) be limited by 2.75 at all? I mean it's damn near 3in......
I will say that I'm very surprised at how good the Tsudo system sounds.
hello

The Thermal R&D is 3" when you use the adapter we have for the exhaust which is manufactured exclusively for us @ whoosh
We also have a full 3" from cp-e and Scorpion
Lastly, the Greddy is straight 3" as well

All of our whoosh catless and catted downpipes are a true 3" as well

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

redmoe

I just ordered the thermal system from Ron as my “custom” 2.5 inch cbe is already rusting at the welds. I will report back with an installation and sound video.

OP
F
Thread Starter #9
I didn't see that adapter piece. I just don't see the price justification of the Thermal vs Tsudo from a sound perspective. They both sound good, look good in their own style but the Tsudo is cheaper by a lot. I'll have to give it some consideration though. Thanks for showing me that adapter. Would be nice if you could just order the kit with one or the other, vs having to buy it separately.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I didn't see that adapter piece. I just don't see the price justification of the Thermal vs Tsudo from a sound perspective. They both sound good, look good in their own style but the Tsudo is cheaper by a lot. I'll have to give it some consideration though. Thanks for showing me that adapter. Would be nice if you could just order the kit with one or the other, vs having to buy it separately.

The thermal's build quality is better and it has a real helmholtz chamber to attenuate drone/harmonics. The Tsudo doesn't have that, so they didn't have to spend the R&D money on it. Mufflers and resonators passively absorb noise and drone, a helmholtz chamber actively cancels it. What it means is gnarly sound outside, almost no drone inside.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have the Thermal...I'd say it's the same as stock until you get on it...then it unleashes

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

redmoe

Just FYI, if you weld SS (if it is stainless that you were working with) you should passivate it by washing the welds in concentrated citric acid so that it will form a protective layer of chromium/nickel by removing the iron from the surface of the welds which will help prevent the iron content underneath from rusting out and being eaten away. [thumb]

This was a complete custom cat back using aluminized steel pipe. The stock was hacked up in the process of various deletes to get to this point. To me it’s worth the money for the sound, build quality and that you can get the 3 inch down pipe adapter when the turbo is upgraded.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
save your money there is no HP in the cat back. its just an expensive noise maker. Its for kids.
I'm FAR FROM a "kid" (63), and the factory system was WAY TOO quiet for me to even shift by ear correctly. [wink]

But yeah, if you do not want/need the sound, there is no reason to get an aftermarket system for performance benefits, until one is well over the 325 WHP mark.

OP
F
Thread Starter #17
I plan on a bigger turbo, probably the GT2860 or 68. I plan on making 350whp, or as close as possible lol. I'll have to listen to some more clips of the Thermal system before I make a final choice. The car is too damn quiet though... LOL.

The thermal's build quality is better and it has a real helmholtz chamber to attenuate drone/harmonics. The Tsudo doesn't have that, so they didn't have to spend the R&D money on it. Mufflers and resonators passively absorb noise and drone, a helmholtz chamber actively cancels it. What it means is gnarly sound outside, almost no drone inside.
They don't mention that at all on their site as far as I can see

"To address the drone issues that can arise from the larger 3” tubing we added a straight through resonator on the mid-pipe and a resonator on the rear section. This allows for no restriction when accelerating, but deflects the unpleasant tones that can creep in while cruising. Overall, the Fiesta ST Catback exhaust is a system that we are very excited about launching alongside our popular Focus ST system and the Focus RS system."

Sounds like a dual res setup to me.

Also there is a MBRP 3" I believe.

I'm FAR FROM a "kid" (63), and the factory system was WAY TOO quiet for me to even shift by ear correctly. [wink]

But yeah, if you do not want/need the sound, there is no reason to get an aftermarket system for performance benefits, until one is well over the 325 WHP mark.
That's why I'm happy with what I have.

ATP 3" that necks down to 2.5"
FSWERKS 2.5" catback.

Both are 304, both are cheap, no drone, and more than I need for a MRX.