Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sagging front bumper

I have an issue with my front bumper sagging. What is supposed to hold it UP? It looks like part of the bumper sits on the frame rails, and I was thinking of adding some rubber shims to help lift it. The upper edges of my bumper are resting on the head lights, but if I grab the grill, and lift, I can move it into a better position. I tried using zip ties to pull it back, but it didn't help raise it off the head lights. I want to add a splitter in the future, but am worried it will sagging even more. First pic is it resting on the head light. Second is with me lifting up. I will try to post a video also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have an issue with my front bumper sagging. What is supposed to hold it UP? It looks like part of the bumper sits on the frame rails, and I was thinking of adding some rubber shims to help lift it. The upper edges of my bumper are resting on the head lights, but if I grab the grill, and lift, I can move it into a better position. I tried using zip ties to pull it back, but it didn't help raise it off the head lights. I want to add a splitter in the future, but am worried it will sagging even more. First pic is it resting on the head light. Second is with me lifting up. I will try to post a video also.

Get a bra....kidding couldn't resist ...hehe...mine does alittle also....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

anticon

After just removing the front bumper cover to install my FMIC, I now know it is mostly supported at the top by the three bolts on each side at the joint above the front wheels. Check those first.

V_2

My car also has a severe bumper underbite, likely made worse because I have a non-oem crash bar. I have been trying to visualize some kind of support brackets that I can use to push out the bottom of the bumper. Pulling it up from the top with zip ties helps, but *very* little. Mine is so bad that the paint has been rubbed off by the driver side headlight and the wheel arch sections are bowing out.

After just removing the front bumper cover to install my FMIC, I now know it is mostly supported at the top by the three bolts on each side at the joint above the front wheels. Check those first.
Do you happen to have a pic of where these are located? If not, no worries.

anticon

Do you happen to have a pic of where these are located? If not, no worries.
Here is a pic of the 6 bolt holes on the sides. There are also 5 bolts that run along the bottom of the bumper cover too that attach to the air deflector panel. If you look up the Mishimot FMIC intercooler install video on youtube, you can see how it is all attached.

There was a post on this a while back. Mine started to also sag after having it removed by the dealership to fix a broken hood latch and I also think my splitter pulled it down some. I think the overall consensus of that post was that there were plastic clips somewhere that hold the bumper on also that had been broken causing the sag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Get a bra....kidding couldn't resist ...hehe...mine does alittle also....
Beat me to the old push-up bra joke.

Two other more common occurrences that may contribute to or cause the issue... people bumping into it in parking spaces (parallel & grocery lots); scraping going into or coming out of high curbs. You're going to have to remove the bumper to figure out which mounts are damaged and how.

dmb

I know its rice but i've seen some outside quick release o-ring clamps on some of the evo/subbie cars that take the bumpers off alot. they are on e-bay. $6.00 by no means do I have or want these on my car but maybe they can be used on a unseen part of of your car.

koozy

3000 Post Club
the clips and fasteners only hold the bumper cover in place. The tolerances for the clips and bolts are too loose to use for "fine" alignment or sagging. There's a lip right behind the license plate behind the bumper cover that is supposed to rest right on top of the OE front crash beam. Some may be unaware of this, force the cover on and break off this lip (plastic) or not make sure the lips are seated correctly in place when replacing the bumper cover. This lip keeps the bumper cover up, in place and from sagging. Next time the bumper cover is off have a look.

Attachments

anticon

I'm also having trouble because of the fitment of the intercooler I just installed. I need to redo the lower air deflector center mount. It pushed the bottom of the intercooler out and the bumper cover with it. I now have a larger hood gap and fender gaps.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Most with aftermarket factory fit intercoolers that maximize every inch of space eliminate the center deflector mount, because of interference. Cramming it in may cause issues elsewhere that may or may not be visually apparent.

When I worked to lighten the engine compartment, I worked on the front bumper too. In the Gallery it can be seen how much I have deleted about the bumper.
I have reinforced all its remaining connectionsā€¦...but I hope to never have a crash..otherwise the front bumper would end instead of the rear one [rofl]
(The picture is in the General Fiesta ST pictures)

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #18
the clips and fasteners only hold the bumper cover in place. The tolerances for the clips and bolts are too loose to use for "fine" alignment or sagging. There's a lip right behind the license plate behind the bumper cover that is supposed to rest right on top of the OE front crash beam. Some may be unaware of this, force the cover on and break off this lip (plastic) or not make sure the lips are seated correctly in place when replacing the bumper cover. This lip keeps the bumper cover up, in place and from sagging. Next time the bumper cover is off have a look.
This was the cause! I think it may be a little late to complain to the dealer. 1.5 years later. I wonder if this piece is replaceable?

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #20
Dealer also left out a couple screws!