Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cost effective ways of reducing torque steer...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So with an e30 tune we have tons of torque which equals tons of torque steer on this car... looking at cost effective ways to help with this without spending a couple grand on an LSD and coilovers. I do know that I am going with Eibach springs, just not sure when exactly... In the mean time I'm looking at the TB Performance Traction Bar over the Pierce 2 pt brace, but the Pierce 4 pt brace seems to be a nice step up but almost twice the price shipped ($252 vs. $130). Anyone have any input in this area? If the Traction Bar alone helps a quite bit, that would be great, but the 4 pt. Pierce seems like it would make an even bigger difference. Thanks in advance for any specific advice or experience on these!

If i keep this car, which i probably wont, ill be installing an LSD. I think theyre on sale for like 650. Not sure if that includes the install kit. Anyways, remove trans, take to diff shop and expect to pay $300-600 for the install. And never worry about 1 wheel peel again

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
If i keep this car, which i probably wont, ill be installing an LSD. I think theyre on sale for like 650. Not sure if that includes the install kit. Anyways, remove trans, take to diff shop and expect to pay $300-600 for the install. And never worry about 1 wheel peel again
Yep, the mFactory through Whoosh is $650, then parts and labor looking at $1200+, I'll have to think hard and long about that one, hehe...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Its a better upgrade than a big turbo IMO
I can see that... if you are the type that prefers torque over wringing out the upper end then getting that low-end torque down and not spinning would be a blast! But then I'd want at least a hybrid after that! LOL

Zormecteon

I believe that Ford itself has already implemented the most cost effective solution. Limit the boost in the lowest two gears. Easy, cheap and already done.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I believe that Ford itself has already implemented the most cost effective solution. Limit the boost in the lowest two gears. Easy, cheap and already done.
LOL, you think most of us here on an enthusiast forum limit themselves to a stock or MP215 tune? Stratified has a limit torque in 2nd option but I'm on a Dizzy e30 tune now, which is smoother and safer than Stratified. Jason just doesn't offer a torque limiting option and compared to Stratified who refines the Cobb traction control and sets their own adjustments. Jason just lets you have the Cobb option on by default and at which setting you want to use. I'm down to using level 3, which allows some tire squeal, but still think the econo Fiesta behind the powerful motor can use some help with deflection in the front end to help with torque steer even on mild tunes... I think I'm going to go ahead and order the TB Performance traction bar and see how much that helps.

Zormecteon

LOL, you think most of us here on an enthusiast forum limit themselves to a stock or MP215 tune? Stratified has a limit torque in 2nd option but I'm on a Dizzy e30 tune now, which is smoother and safer than Stratified. Jason just doesn't offer a torque limiting option and compared to Stratified who refines the Cobb traction control and sets their own adjustments. Jason just lets you have the Cobb option on by default and at which setting you want to use. I'm down to using level 3, which allows some tire squeal, but still think the econo Fiesta behind the powerful motor can use some help with deflection in the front end to help with torques steer even on mild tunes... I think I'm going to go ahead and order the TB Performance traction bar and see how much that helps.
You got the humor! The point being of course, that if were easy and cheap, the manufacturers would already be doing it. Things like un-equal length shafts, differing shaft diameters, different materials etc, are not the cheapest fixes, but even when using all those things and more there is really a limit to the amount of horsepower that can be implemented WITHOUT torque steer. .....

That is to say there are cheap fixes and expensive ones but no complete cure. You can't beat physics.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
You got the humor! The point being of course, that if were easy and cheap, the manufacturers would already be doing it. Things like un-equal length shafts, differing shaft diameters, different materials etc, are not the cheapest fixes, but even when using all those things and more there is really a limit to the amount of horsepower that can be implemented WITHOUT torque steer. .....

That is to say there are cheap fixes and expensive ones but no complete cure. You can't beat physics.
Absolutely great points, easily the best thing to do is the LSD, but was just hoping for some budget "help", for now... If a $129 traction bar reduces the torques steer any decent noticeable amount I think it will be worth it for sure, I'm now wondering if the Pierce 4 pt might be the better option. It's a good step up in price at about $250 shipped but those extra points coming off the back look like would help quite a bit. http://www.piercemotorsport.com/201...iercemotorsports-4-point-lower-chassis-brace/

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I didnā€™t think torque steer was bad at all with my dizzy e30 tune. Just a little to keep it fun.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
I didnā€™t think torque steer was bad at all with my dizzy e30 tune. Just a little to keep it fun.
Hmm, maybe because it's the new V2 but it's BAD, like embarrassingly so when there are other cars around, to the point it's difficult to control or Ford went cheaper in flimsier chassis parts on the later model years...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
So I ordered the TB Performance Traction Bar and at the advice of someone on the FB group, ordering upper front motor mount and trans mount inserts, he said they helped a lot with torque steer... Hopefully this will do it for now and eventually do my Eibach springs later!

anticon

So I ordered the TB Performance Traction Bar and at the advice of someone on the FB group, ordering upper front motor mount and trans mount inserts, he said they helped a lot with torque steer... Hopefully this will do it for now and eventually do my Eibach springs later!
Nice, I'm interested in what you think about the mounts. You should do them separately and provide a review :).

An LSD would probably be the best, but slow down there with that. Let's start with a good RMM and a traction bar. It helped quite a lot for me.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Nice, I'm interested in what you think about the mounts. You should do them separately and provide a review :).
I'll see how fast each arrives and maybe I can do that... I'm a little confused though as there are 2 separate lower motor mount options from Powerflex, one is the one where it upgrades the factory RMM for $51.99 which I don't need as I have an RMM I love but the other is a buck less at $50.99, not sure what that one does and Whoosh doesn't carry it: https://powerflexusa.com/fordfiestamk70708-lowerenginemountlargeBushing-pff19-1521.aspx But for sure doing the upper motor mount insert and likely transmission too but was unsure of that one i just linked, hmmm.

Edit: Never mind on the lower motor mount options, both are just options for the factory RMM...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
An LSD would probably be the best, but slow down there with that. Let's start with a good RMM and a traction bar. It helped quite a lot for me.
Yes, for sure, RMM turned crazy ugly wheel hop into better traction and just straight tire squeal but the torque steer is just ridiculous... Definitely will consider an LSD in the future but traction bar with some inserts for the other mounts should help quite a bit.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
The human body already comes fully equipped with the best way to control torque steer. The brain, central nervous system and your right foot, [wink]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Hmm, maybe because it's the new V2 but it's BAD, like embarrassingly so when there are other cars around, to the point it's difficult to control or Ford went cheaper in flimsier chassis parts on the later model years...
Actually Ford went the opposite they stiffened the rear and softened the dampers.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Actually Ford went the opposite they stiffened the rear and softened the dampers.
Very true, they softened something up after '14 and then they did bigger torsion beam and front sway bars with slightly softened dampers for '16.5+... I guess it's still just an econobox chassis in general, everyone will have different varying amounts of slop in different areas I guess, but in any case the torque steer is BAD, so hoping the traction bar and mount inserts will bring it back to more acceptable.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
The human body already comes fully equipped with the best way to control torque steer. The brain, central nervous system and your right foot, [wink]
But, but, I don't want to have to not mash the go pedal! LOL But, the thing is, the torque hits so hard and suddenly it's hard to modulate anyway...