Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

weird situation, bear with me - stratified tune LEC causes a sore throat :P

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It's odd - if I run the NEC or PEC (no exhaust crackles and progressive exhaust crackles, respectively) tunes, no issues. If I run the LEC tune (my fav, my exhaust w/ branch resonator soaks up a lot of the crackles so it's not as obnoxious as it would be otherwise, just a double pop on each shift) I get a sore throat after 20+ minutes of driving. I've done several a/b comparisons, i.e. one week with PEC, next with LEC, repeat, and it's 100% consistent. I have a catalytic converter, so I'm a little mystified as to why.

I did not sign up for any fueling adjustments or anything since I'm not really going for max performance and all my ign corrections are positive ones. Would the fueling adjustments actually help this? Has anyone else experienced this?

One thing I was thinking - some hatchbacks have a little flapper doodads in the hatch area to equalize pressure - does the Fiesta have the same and if so where, so I can make sure something isn't stuck open? I have driven around with a carbon monoxide detector and got no alarms (paranoia is a desirable trait in my profession hehe).

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
Buddy, that is the weirdest damned thing I've heard all week. Or at least all day.

Those flapper things you're talking about are decompression vents. They're kind of like a check valve - they should only open when the cabin pressure is greater than the exterior pressure. If we didn't have them we'd risk blowing out our windows when we close the doors! [crazyeye] But I get the feeling you probably know this.

Anyways, on our cars (and most cars in fact) they're located on the behind the rear wheel wells and behind the ends/sides of the rear fascia. I've highlighted the locations here:

I have absolutely no clue as to why you would experience this issue. Maybe you're extremely sensitive to NOx and that tune has higher NOx emissions? You sure you don't have an exhaust leak somewhere? Maybe your firewall is compromised? [scratch]
Yeah it’s weird I know :p I had one of the flaps stick open on a vw r32 making it exhaust-y inside so I figured I would check. I’m assuming it’s just the sooty air getting into the passenger compartment. I burned my lungs quite some years back so I am very sensitive to air quality now. It’s not the end of the world if I can’t run the LEC tune but it’s worth it to check the flappermajigs to make sure they’re not stuck open. I’ll do a tune refinement after I get an intercooler and see if it helps. Doesn’t happen on any Cobb tunes or any others, just the LEC tune.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Isn't the closed/reduced throttle plate fueling purposely modified to enable the crackle/LEC tune option, as in it is expressly that which produces said crackles? [dunno]

(Or is it done through spark/VVT timing?)

BTW; my CP-E branched Helmholtz system pops between hard shifts (and on throttle closure when cold) on the factory tune.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you have any Air fresheners in your car? My suggestion if you do is remove them and take some Zyrtec/Anti-Histamine of some nature and then see how you feel! Just my thoughts.....[dictate]

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Do you have any Air fresheners in your car? My suggestion if you do is remove them and take some Zyrtec/Anti-Histamine of some nature and then see how you feel! Just my thoughts.....[dictate]
No air freshener :p

It wasn't allergies or anything. I went back and forth between tunes a bunch of times, it's just the LEC tune that does it. Doesn't happen on the freeway, only on side streets where it's popping fairly frequently at low speed. I think some of the soot is simply working it's way into the passenger area. It happens mostly with the windows open so I don't think it's the trunk flappermajigs but figured it worth checking lol.

I *did* say right at the beginning that it was an odd issue ha. Not a big deal, it just surprised me that one of three tunes made it so noticeable.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No air freshener [emoji14]

It wasn't allergies or anything. I went back and forth between tunes a bunch of times, it's just the LEC tune that does it. Doesn't happen on the freeway, only on side streets where it's popping fairly frequently at low speed. I think some of the soot is simply working it's way into the passenger area. It happens mostly with the windows open so I don't think it's the trunk flappermajigs but figured it worth checking lol.

I *did* say right at the beginning that it was an odd issue ha. Not a big deal, it just surprised me that one of three tunes made it so noticeable.
Hmm....I have mine on Dizzy tuning aggressive and absolutely love it...almost gunshot sometimes....but no sore or itchy throat even with the windows down!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Hmmm, I know you explained NEC and PEC, in fact I have an NEC from Strat I don't use now that I LOVE my Dizzy e30 tune, but what does LEC stand for? I find that Strat pushes the boost a little too high for my taste on pump gas (26 psi) and got some not so good smells running it... now with Dizzy, it's set for 24.5 psi or so pump, 26.5 on e30 and car is smoother and no more strange smells... I wonder what they did differently on LEC, but I think I'm gonna stay with my Dizzy going forward.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I had rectal itching with my Tune + ,but Adam was able to tweak it out with a few clicks of a drop down box.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Hmmm, I know you explained NEC and PEC, in fact I have an NEC from Strat I don't use now that I LOVE my Dizzy e30 tune, but what does LEC stand for? I find that Strat pushes the boost a little too high for my taste on pump gas (26 psi) and got some not so good smells running it... now with Dizzy, it's set for 24.5 psi or so pump, 26.5 on e30 and car is smoother and no more strange smells... I wonder what they did differently on LEC, but I think I'm gonna stay with my Dizzy going forward.
Ah LEC is "loud exhaust crackles" - without my quarter wave resonator to equalize pressure the LEC tune sounds like a machine gun every time I compression brake - that part was horrible. Once my quarter wave heats up and starts doing it's job it soaks up all those pops and instead just gives me the healthy "popPOP" I was looking for on upshifts and rev matched downshifts. The LEC tune has always felt "faster" (breaks traction easier, etc.) but as far as I know all it is is an ignition cut. I looked at Dizzy tunes but everyone refers to them as "smoother", but I did the strat tune simply to get a little of the raw edgy feeling I got from my Abarth - makes things a little more exciting :D

I put an old sock over my tailpipe and did a .5 mile circuit with the PEC tune, then did the same with the LEC tune and a fresh old sock, and there was a huge difference in soot between the two - I'm guessing that's what is irritating my throat. At some point I'll stop being lazy and have a custom tune made so it's running cleaner. I was wondering if paying for datalog refinement helps stuff like that. At present all I get are heaps of positive corrections, and I don't generally drive that hard except sporadically; if I'm going to hoon around I have other toys for that - I just want my DD to make me smile :)

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I double posted and it won't let me delete so....

Who wants to hear a communist joke? Bear with me, they're only funny if everyone gets them....

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ah LEC is "loud exhaust crackles" - without my quarter wave resonator to equalize pressure the LEC tune sounds like a machine gun every time I compression brake - that part was horrible. Once my quarter wave heats up and starts doing it's job it soaks up all those pops and instead just gives me the healthy "popPOP" I was looking for on upshifts and rev matched downshifts. The LEC tune has always felt "faster" (breaks traction easier, etc.) but as far as I know all it is is an ignition cut. I looked at Dizzy tunes but everyone refers to them as "smoother", but I did the strat tune simply to get a little of the raw edgy feeling I got from my Abarth - makes things a little more exciting :D

I put an old sock over my tailpipe and did a .5 mile circuit with the PEC tune, then did the same with the LEC tune and a fresh old sock, and there was a huge difference in soot between the two - I'm guessing that's what is irritating my throat. At some point I'll stop being lazy and have a custom tune made so it's running cleaner. I was wondering if paying for datalog refinement helps stuff like that. At present all I get are heaps of positive corrections, and I don't generally drive that hard except sporadically; if I'm going to hoon around I have other toys for that - I just want my DD to make me smile :)
Oh, duh, of course, my bad, of course there is Loud and Progressive... but don't take the word "smooth" to be bad with the Dizzy tune, it doesn't mean slow at all, it just means it's not super twitchy and annoying for no reason to me, NOT less responsive, it makes the car literally feel more refined, like it's a Euro bomber where you can control it easily in traffic but gets on it hard with just a little throttle... But yeah, Stratified dials in up to 4 degrees of positive corrections, totally normally with flash tunes, a datalog refinement can always dial in a little more power but not really much on a stock turbo... Also, the crackles are done through cam timing by opening the exhaust valves at certain times so loud will obviously let more soot out as it's letting the exhaust valve open more often/longer to get more crackles and pops, especially running catless.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Oh, duh, of course, my bad, of course there is Loud and Progressive... but don't take the word "smooth" to be bad with the Dizzy tune, it doesn't mean slow at all, it just means it's not super twitchy and annoying for no reason to me, NOT less responsive, it makes the car literally feel more refined, like it's a Euro bomber where you can control it easily in traffic but gets on it hard with just a little throttle... But yeah, Stratified dials in up to 4 degrees of positive corrections, totally normally with flash tunes, a datalog refinement can always dial in a little more power but not really much on a stock turbo... Also, the crackles are done through cam timing by opening the exhaust valves at certain times so loud will obviously let more soot out as it's letting the exhaust valve open more often/longer to get more crackles and pops, especially running catless.
Yeah I was just surprised how much of that soot was making it back into the passenger compartment.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah I was just surprised how much of that soot was making it back into the passenger compartment.
Yeah, I can't do that with it being my daily my son rides in so personally I'm just going to try to dial in a little naturally based on different resonator and muffler combos. I'm starting with muffler to glasspack swap this weekend.

Ford Community Posts