Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

steering wheel shakes

ROCKYFiestta

hey everybody i have been getting lots of vibration as soon as the car reaches 65mph and onward steering wheel vibrates my first thought was tire balance is off but i just had all 4 rotated and balanced, although it was before it took it to dealer for some work. my second guess they overtight the lug nuts maybe?
it is most noticeable the straighter the road is . stock suspension stock rims and tires . and i dont hear a howling noise so i dont think wheel bearing. also the vibes go away if you are on a winding/curved part of the road but as soon as it straightens out they come back and if i drive at 60 i get nothing for vibes. also stock rmm
[scratch]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Bent wheel...OR lug nuts aren't tightened...does it go away as you accelerate?...possibly Time for a road force balance...IMO. [thumb]

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Can't say that I've experienced that. How many miles on the car? Are the dampeners worn?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you have a torque wrench? If so go out and ret-torque all wheels to 100 FT LBS.[strongman]

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #6
i am going to do that tomm i need new tq wrench but thanks for the specs maybe they are off tq specs i know alot of wheel places use impact guns to tighten and rarely tq down wheels to spec.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
i am going to do that tomm i need new tq wrench but thanks for the specs maybe they are off tq specs i know alot of wheel places use impact guns to tighten and rarely tq down wheels to spec.
A lot of places...cough ..cough...tires plus ....NTB ...Big oTires.....Firestone....use Torque sticks....But usually have some 16-17 Hunyuck Fu#k putting them on and forgets or gets pulled away to do a tire repair and gives the All good to pull it out of the bay! Ask me how I know.....Ive been shtooped by a couple of those places and watch them do things all wrong due to crappy management! [chair]

Poor balancing. Have experienced this many times. Sometimes the machine is off or the tech might have been new, in training, weights put in the wrong spot. I would bring it back and have the tires re-balanced.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Before you go the re-balancing route, I would loosen and re-torque every lug nut on the car with the car on the ground to 100 FT-LBS. I do this anytime somebody else touches my car (i.e. state inspections) because I have had on two separate occasions (once my car, another GF's car) had a lug nut be hand tight on a wheel.

How old are the tires and how many miles are on them, if you know? Rarely but it happens, the steel belts in the tires shift and you get imbalance which unfortunately you can only fix by replacing the tires. If you have tried the wheel balance and suspension looks good and the wheels are torqued properly, the next choice would be to find another set of wheels and tires and swap them out and see if the vibration goes away.

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #11
all tires look like 80%+ life they look very new actually but i will try to torque it down properly tonight and if they still vibrate i will go get them re-balanced elsewhere.

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #12
when i first got the car it had weights on the outer lip and innermost lip inside the tire, but the dudes who rebalanced the wheels i just noticed put sticky weights along the inside middle portion i have never seen/done it that way i always thought the lead weights on outside like steelies always do and for sticky weights they go on the innermost lip aka other side of the rim.

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #13
i think i should have the next set of people just remove every single weight and start from there? i feel like they added to what was already on there i don't recall ever doing it that way either.[???:)]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I would put money down that it is a balancing problem. A lot of people who balance tires don't know how to balance tires.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk