Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MBRP 409 Stainless 3" Exhaust Install and Interior Audio Clip

I say it's just about how you describe it and how the video shows. With the windows down, it's pretty loud.

Seems to be a factor of the pipe size, resonator size/shape and RPM combined with the size of the passenger cabin. For me, however, I'm fine with it. With windows up it's actually hardly noticeable and on the highway at a constant speed it's nearly silent.

The only difference between 304 and 409 is the type of metal it's made with. Both are stainless and shouldn't rust but the 304 will stay shiny and won't slowly turn brown with use. Since it's under the car and all of the options come with 304 tips, I saw no need to pay extra. I don't believe the material has any effect on drone or resonance.

It may be possible to add an additional resonator after the one it comes with to lessen the drone further. Might be worth trying that instead of taking the hit of selling a used aftermarket exhaust.
Well, in my case it is actually LOUDER with the windows up which is really the problem: I can't ever escape the resonance :-\ I agree that it is a factor of the system design and I think specifically the pipe volume and resonance of the specific material chosen. I have the stainless version of the system (409 stainless) and several other guys with the stainless system have mentioned similar resonance. Aluminized versions of the same system don't seem to drone. I drive the car 4 seasons up here in the snow belt of PA, so I need the stainless.

The vendor really went out of their way to try to help me by sending new front and rear sections with Vibrant resonator and muffler, but the sound and resonance of the system really didn't change at all ... surprisingly. I also started with the stock downpipe and later added a 3" catted down pipe with no change in sound/resonance. If I had to guess I would say the issue has to be in the resonance of the "Z" shaped mid pipe since that's the only thing that hasn't been changed. I wish I had a Go-Pro to mount under the car. The resonance is so strong I can just imagine the pipe vibrating like a tuning fork LOL. The first thing people mention is rubbing/interference, but trust me I have been under the car about 6 times to try to solve this and there is plenty of clearance everywhere. The resonance starts before 3k RPM which is a problem for highway cruising. It's quiet below ~3200 RPM when not under load, but part-throttle acceleration really gets loud inside the car and when cruising at 70 MPH that's just the wrong RPM. At 3500 RPM either part throttle or decelerating it's positively deafening inside the car ... windows up or down doesn't matter.

Back to the original thread: It's a shame because I love the sound of the car from the outside, but I just can't deal with the brain-vibrating resonance inside. My current first choice as a replacement is the Scorpion 3" 304 stainless system, but it's pricey. I have first-hand reports that it doesn't drone at all though and I do like the sound of it a lot. I liked the video clips of the MBRP which is what got me to this thread. If you can give me some more details about what it sounds like inside the car especially with the windows up then that will help me a lot. I am okay with loud outside the car, but I want it to be quiet inside when cruising and at least not resonate my brain when accelerating or decelerating.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
Well, in my case it is actually LOUDER with the windows up which is really the problem: I can't ever escape the resonance :-\ I agree that it is a factor of the system design and I think specifically the pipe volume and resonance of the specific material chosen. I have the stainless version of the system (409 stainless) and several other guys with the stainless system have mentioned similar resonance. Aluminized versions of the same system don't seem to drone. I drive the car 4 seasons up here in the snow belt of PA, so I need the stainless.
So this is weird... I have the 409 as well but it doesn't really bother me, especially with the windows up. It's not like it's a deafening resonance that hurts my ears or anything. It definitely lets me listen for RPMs without having to look whereas before with the stock exhaust it was so quiet I needed to look sometimes.

I think this might boil down to personal taste and ability to enjoy/handle/not hate the drone while under mild load or deceleration. I was just driving today at lunch and rolled my windows down so I could hear it better. Seemed too quiet inside the car without the windows down.

Did you knock that little hook on the twist beam out of the way so it doesn't contact the exhaust tubing? I have nearly no noise when cruising at 70 on flat ground... especially with the windows up.

Here's a video I recorded a while back with my Moto X. Up to the 1 minute point is with the windows fully down. After that I roll them up.

[video=youtube;eCU6ZVBRDtY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCU6ZVBRDtY[/video]

I can make a new recording with my FauxPro (SJ1000) if you are interested. Perhaps what I've posted here though gives you an idea of the noise.

I have very mild drone with my aluminized kit. Nothing enough to bother myself or the girlfriend. When I first put it on the car she said it was no louder then the exhaust I had on my focus mk3.

So this is weird... I have the 409 as well but it doesn't really bother me, especially with the windows up. It's not like it's a deafening resonance that hurts my ears or anything. It definitely lets me listen for RPMs without having to look whereas before with the stock exhaust it was so quiet I needed to look sometimes.
I am starting to think I wasn't real clear initially ... sorry about that :) I don't have the MBRP system now. I have another system and I am avoiding mentioning who's system it is because I don't want to give them bad press. They have been really good about trying to fix the system and address my complaints, but in the end it's just a basic design issue I think. I am ready to move on and replace it with something that sounds like I want it to. The system I have would be great for a track-only car because it doesn't resonate at all at full throttle. It's just when part-throttle accelerating or decelerating like in my video. So the Scorpion is top on my list, but pricey. If I can determine the interior sound characteristics of the MBRP system then I might go that way. The MRT is too loud, and the Cobb seems too "zingy/buzzy". The Magnaflow is too quiet.

Funny you should mention "listening for RPMs". The resonance/drone at 3500 RPM is so severe that it actually distorts the engine sound so I can't accurately gage RPMs by ear until I am past the resonance range (over 4k RPM). I appreciate your willingness to help me with this. The specific case I am looking at is medium acceleration starting at about 2800 RPM and going up past 4000. Full throttle doesn't resonate for me and very gentle acceleration is pretty quiet too.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
I am starting to think I wasn't real clear initially ... sorry about that :) I don't have the MBRP system now. I have another system and I am avoiding mentioning who's system it is because I don't want to give them bad press. They have been really good about trying to fix the system and address my complaints, but in the end it's just a basic design issue I think.
I believe I recall this thread.

Have you listened to the clip I posted? It's medium acceleration, not WOT. I can record another with your exact parameters if it's unclear but I can assure you that the drone isn't bad with the MBRP. It's not quiet by any stretch but is not loud to the extent you're mentioning and it certainly doesn't drone at 70mph on the highway.

I believe I recall this thread.

Have you listened to the clip I posted? It's medium acceleration, not WOT. I can record another with your exact parameters if it's unclear but I can assure you that the drone isn't bad with the MBRP. It's not quiet by any stretch but is not loud to the extent you're mentioning and it certainly doesn't drone at 70mph on the highway.
Yep I appreciate the clip. I couldn't really tell what RPM range you were in, but if you say it was in the range I was mentioning then it definitely sounds quieter in the cockpit without being a "quiet" exhaust. Also to clarify, cruising flat or down hill at 70mph it is quiet. Going up a hill it starts to drone. I do expect a loud exhaust to make noise going uphill OUTSIDE the car LOL, but this sound is squarely in the middle of the cabin.

Thanks again. I think will shop for the MBRP system and might just go 304 stainless since the only real drone complaints I have heard from any system seem to be when they are 409 stainless. I tried looking up the difference in resonant frequencies between plain aluminized steel pipe, 304 stainless, and 409 stainless, but that info doesn't seem to be readily available.

Crappy video I shot on my Moto X, it was raining but I tried to hit the rpm's you where looking for. Don't mind the last part lol

2014 Fiesta st MBRP exhaust light cruise: http://youtu.be/lUQ-yz4ixAs
That's great thanks! I will try to do a similar clip on my way home just to give you a feel for the difference. The last part is the best part LOL.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
I think will shop for the MBRP system and might just go 304 stainless since the only real drone complaints I have heard from any system seem to be when they are 409 stainless. I tried looking up the difference in resonant frequencies between plain aluminized steel pipe, 304 stainless, and 409 stainless, but that info doesn't seem to be readily available.
I believe that's because it has a minimal effect, if any, on the sound quality. The tone and resonant frequencies of an exhaust has far more to do with the overall connector volume (the tubing between resonators/mufflers) and it's relation to the volume inside the resonator chambers. When tuned properly with specifically-sized resonators, the exhaust system designer can reduce unwanted resonation at certain frequencies.

In order to cancel out the sub 600Hz portion of the exhaust note (the bulk of it) a specific sized resonator is used. If it's desired to also cut out other frequency bands, multiple resonators of various sizes are needed.

This is what really intrigued me by CP-E's exhaust. They really thought outside the box and used a tuned pipe section (Helmholtz resonator) that Y's off the final bit of piping that exits the car. They've carefully tuned the volume of that chamber to cancel out specific portions of the frequency range. Essentially it's a straight pipe with one inline resonator for one range of frequencies and then a resonation chamber at the end that reflects some pressure waves back towards the engine, canceling out the other unwanted waves.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #51
That's great thanks! I will try to do a similar clip on my way home just to give you a feel for the difference. The last part is the best part LOL.
Agreed! Nice video. I'm still trying to figure out how he was holding the camera while driving and shifting.

Ok here's my video. Keep in mind this is with all the windows up so this is what it sounds like all the time. Play where you can hear some bass since the important frequencies to hear are <200 Hz.

Fiesta ST exhaust drone: [video=youtube_share;k56t8imwv6Y]http://youtu.be/k56t8imwv6Y[/video]

Can deffenitly tell there is more of a drone with your exhaust system compared to the video I posted. What did you use to record with?

I want it debating it, Horsepowerdirect hopefully has some of the alum in stock if not im gonna have to find some where else with alum and free shipping.

Horsepower direct was where I picked up my aluminized kit, very easy transaction. Hope your able to get your order placed.

no-pistons

Been driving around with my MBRP 409 for the last few days, and I'm sorry to say its unbearable. Its so damn loud, but the worst part is the drone. Lots of drone from 3000+ RPM. It also drones when driving 75-80mph. I personally would not recommend this exhaust, in fact I wish never bought it...