Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MBRP 409 Stainless 3" Exhaust Install and Interior Audio Clip

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #81
Just keep in mind the small exhaust inlet size. Upgrading to a 3" downpipe doesn't make a ton of sense if it hits a wall as it necks down to 2.25" going into the muffler.

I want to ask them about making a muffler section that has a 3" inlet to support easily upgrading to the larger downpipe.

Young L

Just keep in mind the small exhaust inlet size. Upgrading to a 3" downpipe doesn't make a ton of sense if it hits a wall as it necks down to 2.25" going into the muffler.

I want to ask them about making a muffler section that has a 3" inlet to support easily upgrading to the larger downpipe.
so far the Cobb dp is the only one that comes close with a 2.5'' the atp/2j are 3''.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
This turbo doesnt need any bigger then 2.5''! Hell 2.25 is fine!

no-pistons

After driving around for a few days, my added muffler makes it much better. There is still drone and resonance in the cab, but no longer head pounding loud.

Also, I think this car could use some sound deading material in the trunk. I bet this will stop a lot of the resonance from coming into the cab

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #85
This turbo doesnt need any bigger then 2.5''! Hell 2.25 is fine!
All turbos can benefit from immediate downstream pressure differential delta. I think a 3" downpipe that smoothly necks to 2.5" would be fine.

Young L

OoOo so after a only a few weeks of having the exhaust i just had a quick look under the car and its lookin rough. ALOT of surface rust has formed, im starting to regret not going with the T304 now. Hopefully next week and can get it on a lift and have a better look might have to track down some hi temp exhaust paint and give the pipes a good scrub

OoOo so after a only a few weeks of having the exhaust i just had a quick look under the car and its lookin rough. ALOT of surface rust has formed, im starting to regret not going with the T304 now. Hopefully next week and can get it on a lift and have a better look might have to track down some hi temp exhaust paint and give the pipes a good scrub
I was debating that as well as the 409 is cheaper. If i lived in a warm climate I would have, too much salt here.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #90
I should go look at mine. It's been on for a few months and right now is likely bathed in salt.

From what I read, however, the surface rust on 409 is normal and the "corrosion" doesn't progress past that point.

Ever seen the orange/red colored light poles on the side of interstates/highways? Know why they're that color? Rust. By design they let the steel rust. A coating of surface rust forms and that's it. It doesn't progress past that point.

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question32.asp

Got my 409 a few days ago, from HP Direct, on sale! 399, free shipping, seemed like a nice deal. This thread helped me decide, I like the sound of the mbrp the best of all I do believe. Also it's pretty affordable compared to others around.

Sadly I don't know anybody with a lift , and I don't want to try to install on jack stands, so hopefully this will find its way into my car sooner rather than later!

Young L

straight from the MBRP site.....

What is the difference between T304 and T409 Stainless?

T304 stainless steel will not oxidize or rust, it can however develop a golden color when exposed to high heat over time. T409 stainless steel has a fair amount of ferrous material in it and can show surface oxidization after some time, especially when exposed to road salt. This can be prevented by applying a stainless steel cleanser using a scouring pad. If you are concerned about long-term appearance, you should get the T304 system. If you are more concerned about the price, but want something that is more durable than aluminized steel, then the T409 system would be the system of choice.
I knew kinda what I was gettin into goin with it. You spend $400 on something and after a short time it starts to look "damaged" kinda makes ya cringe a bit i suppose

no-pistons

Got my 409 a few days ago, from HP Direct, on sale! 399, free shipping, seemed like a nice deal. This thread helped me decide, I like the sound of the mbrp the best of all I do believe. Also it's pretty affordable compared to others around.

Sadly I don't know anybody with a lift , and I don't want to try to install on jack stands, so hopefully this will find its way into my car sooner rather than later!
I installed mine using jack stands. No big deal, went together very smoothly. Done in less than an hour.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #95
straight from the MBRP site.....
I knew kinda what I was gettin into goin with it. You spend $400 on something and after a short time it starts to look "damaged" kinda makes ya cringe a bit i suppose
The bits you can see under all normal conditions are nice and shiny 304. Unless you spend your days at car shows where there are mirrors in the grass to show off how clean your undercarriage is, why even think twice about it?

Nobody is going around looking under cars and commenting on why the exhaust isn't shiny.

I wish exhaust makers would start posting the exact weight of the assembly [:p]

There is nothing with the 409, it is nice that they are offering a cheaper solution for people, I just wanted to keep it a little bit nicer while the car is a DD.

IMO I would go with the Aluminum if you are not in the rust belt for the weight savings.

Young L

The bits you can see under all normal conditions are nice and shiny 304. Unless you spend your days at car shows where there are mirrors in the grass to show off how clean your undercarriage is, why even think twice about it?

Nobody is going around looking under cars and commenting on why the exhaust isn't shiny.
true, im not building a show car. Its a daily/track car I just like to keep everything clean and looking good and when I do wash it I always stick the hose under it to wash it also. To me its part of vehicle maintaince, a clean car is a well running car.

Young L

HOLY FUCK, i just did a 300mile round trip yesterday and my god I couldnt do over 80 without it being unbearably loud. Actually it wasnt even 80 more like I had to stay at 75,78ish before it would hit 3k.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I see you added nuts under the mid-chassis brace for clearance. I'm assuming those studs are holding up well?