Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Virtual Dyno Results Thread

I figured I'd make a thread with Virtual dyno results, and post what (i hope) is the correct configuration for our car, so you can get consistent comparable results.

First this is How I setup my totally stock FiST, I looked up everything online (I used the frontal surface area from a 2011 standard fiesta since I coudln't find ST specific)
Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 10.37.17 AM.png
EDIT: My tire size is rounded (for the stock wheel/tire), as dyn085 pointed out, it should be 23.46 not 23.50.

As suggested in this thread by rick, here are some parameters that may be useful post in the thread to get more comparable results:

1) Altitude
2) Road used, as flat as possible or one uphill and one downhill run and noted so we can average the results.
3) Road material, estimated grip relative to other surfaces, if sandy, damp, etc......
4) Wind direction and rough estimate of speed
5) Temperature and if possible humidity
6) Tire and wheel weight
7) Tire width
8) Tire type, summer only, all season, as pertinent if pulling from a dig, if experiencing traction losses.
9) Tire air pressure
10) Extreme camber if so
11) LSD, open diff, any nanny's enabled, etc.
12) Weight of your car, if you're just estimating or if you have actually had it weighed with you in it

And a really good read posted by dyn085 which is a post on the Evo forums telling you how to get consistent results with Virtual Dyno Logs:
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/619146-how-use-virtual-dyno-properly.html

Here's a bunch of my Virtual Dyno results from a bunch of 3rd and 4th gear pulls. All Cobb OTS Stage 2. I just bought Accesstuner so I'll probably post more as I improve my tune (I'm a n00b so it will probably take a while). Altitude 550 ft above sea, temp is vaired per run, 60-80 degrees. Stock everything for tires and mods. Traction control off.
Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 10.44.28 AM.png
One thing I forgot on all of them was to add my weight (300 lbs) so they're a little lower than what they "should" be.

Let me know if you think the config I posted is wrong in any way.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the software is free and you can download it here: http://www.virtualdyno.net

It works by uploading your Accessport logs. It already supports accessport, so you don't have to tell it what to do, just point it to your files. Default logged data is fine.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
This is what I've been using that was posted somewhere-

The only differences I see are the drag coefficient and your tire size. If you are using OEM tires then it should be what I have on mine.

Your road doesn't look very flat and if so you're under-smoothed. I'll post some in a bit, after the kids soccer game.

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
I found the drag coefficent online, so I'm fairly sure it's accurate, although .33 and .32 aren't going to make any huge differences. Our tire sizes are within hundreths of an inch, so again probably no big difference, I just punched the stock tire size into a tire calculator and it said 23.5, but it probably rounded up from what you had at 23.46.

I have smoothing only set to 1, I see most people set it to 3. It really flattens out the curve if you set it at 3.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I found the drag coefficent online, so I'm fairly sure it's accurate, although .33 and .32 aren't going to make any huge differences. Our tire sizes are within hundreths of an inch, so again probably no big difference, I just punched the stock tire size into a tire calculator and it said 23.5, but it probably rounded up from what you had at 23.46.

I have smoothing only set to 1, I see most people set it to 3. It really flattens out the curve if you set it at 3.
It flattens the curve to eliminate false spikes and make it more accurate. There's a good tutorial online of how to use V-Dyno to get the best results, I'll link it in a minute when I find it.

Edit: http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/619146-how-use-virtual-dyno-properly.html

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great thread, thanks for starting it!

This is your thread of course you can run it the way you wish within forum rules so do so, by all means but I am asking for more info if you wish to do so.

I have not used this yet so some of this may not matter depending on if from a roll, dig, etc......so adjust as needed, please:)

The more accurate the info the more we can use this as a tool to compare results and get more meaningful data.

1) Altitude
2) Road used, as flat as possible or one uphill and one downhill run and noted so we can average the results.
3) Road material, estimated grip relative to other surfaces, if sandy, damp, etc......
6) Tire and wheel weight
7) Tire width
8) Tire type, summer only, all season, as pertinent if pulling from a dig, if experiencing traction losses.
9) Tire air pressure
10) Extreme camber if so

--------------------

I have heard this does not compensate and I can see it does not show an option on the screen posted for AWD which can be a bit misleading but not sure in which way it seems to be a disadvantage from first thought but could be the other way around. Please let me know what you know about this so I have a more clear picture.

--------------------

RYST (corrected), this is your thread so I will honor it and change this or start a new one if you wish but for now please consider the statement below if you wish to include it or not.

THIS IS FOR ALL MEMBERS, STAFF, VENDORS, etc.... please read.

We need real data, it would not benefit us to have any poorly documented results or misleading info or by those seeking bigger numbers to brag about or used in advertising, let's use this to fully develop the true potential off all the mods done to our cars, please:)

----------------

Thanks,
Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I will corner weigh my car soon and with me in it, fuel load, etc.....this is very important in such a light car, more than a heavier car as a higher percentage of total weight is added by the driver, etc...

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Great thread, thanks for starting it!

This is your thread of course you can run it the way you wish within forum rules so do so, by all means but I am asking for more info if you wish to do so.

I have not used this yet so some of this may not matter depending on if from a roll, dig, etc......so adjust as needed, please:)

The more accurate the info the more we can use this as a tool to compare results and get more meaningful data.

1) Altitude
6) Tire and wheel weight
7) Tire width
9) Tire air pressure
10) Extreme camber if so

--------------------

I have heard this does not compensate and I can see it does not show an option on the screen posted for AWD which can be a bit misleading but not sure in which way it seems to be a disadvantage from first thought but could be the other way around. Please let me know what you know about this so I have a more clear picture.

--------------------

DynO85, this is your thread so I will honor it and change this or start a new one if you wish but for now please consider the statement below if you wish to include it or not.

THIS IS FOR ALL MEMBERS, STAFF, VENDORS, etc.... please read.

We need real data, it would not benefit us to have any poorly documented results or misleading info or by those seeking bigger numbers to brag about or used in advertising, let's use this to fully develop the true potential off all the mods done to our cars, please:)

----------------

Thanks,
Rick
This actually isn't my thread. This isn't a 100% perfect system, but it's free and is close-trying to get every ounce of information is nice but shouldn't be the purpose of the thread. There is literally no legitimate way for someone to quantify the amount of traction and none of these graphs can show anything from a dig. More information always helps, but very few people carry the correct equipment to know exactly what the weather data is.

This shouldn't be an e-peen thread, it should be a way for members to analyze data, compare it, discuss it, and find ways to improve the collection/accuracy or mods. Just like any dyno it is easy to see if information is skewed or incorrect, and generally speaking it is due to user error-not malicious attempts to deceive-hence the link I provided.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
ON a personal note about Vdyno I have found do your datalog one way then turn around and grab another logs on the same stretch or road you just logged will give you a better idea of weather and terrain effects . some days a tail wind help and though the road looked flat there was a slight grade to it . so that helps get a idea of what you are doing and if you start with a setting keep it as you mod and test or that will skew the data too.. I was Driving Randy nuts with my logs as I would got drive around till I found a quite stretch and do a 4th gear pull not in the same area at all.. finally we nailed down to Operator ERROR LOL
Fun stuff but it is just a tool for see how you are progessing and back up the seat of the pants dyno's :)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Oops, it is ryst's thread, my bad:)

I believe there is much to gain by having the best info we can to compare with but some of it might be harder to pin down.

Just making it a requirement to do a run in each direction, as mentioned by Rodmoe, takes care of several things on the list, thanks)

I still think it would help to have at least these, 1 and 2 can make a huge difference.

1)Temp, just take it off the dash, close enough.
2)Altitude

The rest could be in a sig on each post and easy to see just for a bit of understanding on what the other cars have setup on them.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Oops, it is ryst's thread, my bad:)

I believe there is much to gain by having the best info we can to compare with but some of it might be harder to pin down.

Just making it a requirement to do a run in each direction, as mentioned by Rodmoe, takes care of several things on the list, thanks)

I still think it would help to have at least these, 1 and 2 can make a huge difference.

1)Temp, just take it off the dash, close enough.
2)Altitude

The rest could be in a sig on each post and easy to see.
And again, that's why I posted the link. Following what is posted (not surprisingly, in an Evo forum) will net repeatable results. It also shows how you can see if results are not entirely accurate and how to improve the data collection.

My first charts were rather poor as the road I was using wasn't actually as flat as I thought it was. I saw it in the charts and was able to find another road that was better and gave me repeatable results. This not only helped me but probably helped Justin make better tuning corrections.

This is used pretty extensively in other communities that produce significantly more power so there's no real reason to believe that it won't work for us. The key is to get it in use and get people comfortable with using it correctly.

It's definitely not something I would put in my sig though, as it's still not an 'actual' dyno.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am sorry, I forgot to go read that thread, sheesh!

I just did a quick once over, looks great, will read later, I need to get out to the shop and do the final welding on my rear axle flanges now that my suspension settings are all dialed in and working the way I want.

Thanks)
Rick

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I just started playing with this myself. I did my tuning datalogs with a full tank of gas with other weight in the car also. I'm going to run more logs specifically for this in the future.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Okay,
Below are two of my datalogs graphed out with Virtual Dyno. One is my COBB OTS Stg3 91 and the second is my Freektune Revision 3 (current tune). Both tunes are charted on the same graph for comparison and I have provided graphs in both SAE and STD as I see a lot of postings of STD graphs from real dyno shops, which tend to read a little higher. My Virtual Dyno "custom" 2014 Fiesta ST has the specs as below:
-Weight (Freektune): 3082, Weight (COBB): 3068...these are based on my weight, fuel (full tank on both runs), items in car and the clothing I was wearing all added to the curb weight.
-Drag Coefficient: .32
-Frontal area: 22.90
-Tire diameter: 23.46
-3rd Gear and Final Drive ratio: 1.357 and 3.820 (datalog was completed in 3rd gear/ Manual trans)
-I used: http://www.friendlyforecast.com/archive_portal/archive.php to get my outside temp and pressure.
-I used the smoothing: 1 (I also tried smoothing: 3, which smoothed it out a lot and dropped the peak horsepower by 3 on both runs...same with the torque.
-Fairly flat road and around 100 ft above sea level.
-86 degree F for the Freektune and 90 degrees F for the Cobb.
The Freektune that you see here was not my highest peaking Freektune Revision but it is the smoothest and best driving. There may not be an impressive gain in peak horsepower here, but the torque gain and gains elsewhere are very noticeable and in the perfect spots for the way I drive. Below are the graphs:

STD:
20140928 VD GRAPH STD.jpg

SAE:
20140928 VD GRAPH SAE.jpg

Next thing is to run a couple more of these then to get to a real dyno and compare.

OP
R
Thread Starter #14
Rick -- I like your suggestions of what to put about specifics of logged runs, I'll add it to the OP for future reference. My goal wasn't to make 100% comparable runs, but just to put out some numbers, so people can see what people are getting in real life when they don't want to bother with going to an actual dyno. Plus it's a fun free tool, to more easily see how changes affects actual performance. Even if your numbers are WAY off what they should be, as long as you do everything in a consistent manner, you can see if something increases or decreases YOUR performance.

IF you have results from a real life dyno AND you want to post Virutal Dyno, that would be even better. In the EVO thread that Dyn linked earlier, it says the results can be within 0-3% of the acutal horsepower dynojet horsepower numbers, which makes sense, since you're basically testing the same thing :)

EDIT: I made changes to the OP, so we can get more consistent posts (or at least know what people are running), thanks for all the suggestions!!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
ryst,
Thanks for the update and for starting the thread, it can and will be a great tool for us used properly and the understanding it is still just a tool, same as the dyno, not perfect but a good way to compare and get a general idea....then plug in things like all the variables and more accurate yet as an overall gain, or loss, each mod does, combination of mods, etc....

JPGC

2000 Post Club
This thread would be fun if more people would download the Virtual Dyno and plug in their datalogs, then post for us all to see. Thanks for the thread ryst!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I will be very soon, the next few days or so, right now finishing up a ton of stuff to take it to the Octane Academy Thursday.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I'm kind of amazed more people haven't posted in this thread?

Here is mine, thus far, with details suggested in the first post

1) Altitude - Sea Level
2) Road used - pretty much flat, same road for every log.
3) Road material - asphalt
5) Temperature and if possible humidity - Approx 65-70*
6) Tire and wheel weight - not sure
7) Tire width - 205/45/17
8) Tire type - Bridgestone S04 UHP
9) Tire air pressure - Approx 36psi
10) Camber - Approx -2.0
11) Open Diff with full TC off
12) Weight of your car - Approx 2760 (fully loaded FiST with Sunroof, Recaros, Nav, etc)

E30 fuel
Custom tuned by me
3rd gear pull
Airtec FMIC, otherwise stock

Stock tune on 91 oct for reference

E45 fuel
Custom tuned by me
3rd gear pull
100% stock

Stock tune on 91 oct for reference

JPGC

2000 Post Club
That torque you are producing is insane. I would love to see what I could do with the E30 and E45 mix, but unfortunately E85 doesn't exist anywhere remotely near where I live.