Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

General G-Max AS-03 or Nitto Neo Gen?

Which Tires

• General G-Max AS-03

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Nitto Neo Gen

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just the tread pattern shows the NeoGen is much more performance based but also will not do as well in inclement weather so that needs to be taken into consideration.
Until I heard otherwise in THIS thread, I always thought that the Neo Gen was a SUMMER only, UHP tire, just by the tread pattern and tread wear rating alone!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have generals AS003 and they're awesome they get good grip and decent in light snow.
So they were OK in the snow we get around here??

I was going to put them on the stock wheels for the winter, since there is not ONE single Nokian winter tire which will work on those wheels, and be even close to the same overall diameter. [:(!]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The NeoGen is a 3 season tire at best, I would not want to drive it in the snow and getting to work on time.

Since I do not drive my car in the snow, only seen a tiny bit of it and only twice in the rain so far, caught both times in a huge downpour, Rival S were a bit tricky but better than expected.

Comp 2 A/S would be much much better in snow, not as much fun in on warmer and clear days.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Until I heard otherwise in THIS thread, I always thought that the Neo Gen was a SUMMER only, UHP tire, just by the tread pattern and tread wear rating alone!
Summer and UHP are two different classes. A tire can't be summer and ultra high performance. UHP is supposed to be an all-season alternative to a pure summer tire. The Neo and the General are both UHP all-season tires.

I've used my Generals in deep snow without an issue.While not ideal, they got me through it without much drama. Sure I wasn't moving very fast and am constantly correcting the steering but not a big deal at all. I've never had the money for a dedicated winter set so I'm used to UHP tires and snow.

FistSt215

I was going to put them on the stock wheels for the winter, since there is not ONE single Nokian winter tire which will work on those wheels, and be even close to the same overall diameter. [:(!]

They were ok with couple inches but didn't drive in that big snow storm when we got 24 inches in philly back in January lol.

FistSt215

They were ok with couple inches but didn't drive in that big snow storm when we got 24 inches in philly back in January lol.

I'm currently using the General AS-03 tires and they have been very good. I have noticed that they have much more grip when the temperature is low (below 40-45 degrees). When temps get more in the 60-70 degree range they def lose some grip. All of this I have noticed in dry conditions. Wet conditions they will spin out in 3rd, sometimes even 4th...

The best tire for snow is going to be a snow tire. I run neo gens, but wouldn't on the snow. Get some smaller diameter steelies and a set of blizzaks or something. Safety is the most important thing so spending a few extra $$$ on a set of winter wheels is worth every penny. If i lived up north, it would be one of the first things on the "to do" list. Just my 2 pennies. [;)]

I've had the General AS-03s for about a year now and so have driven them in most conditions - hot, wet, cold and light snow (live in PA). To me, they seem to exhibit the same traits in all conditions - really good lateral grip, but not good traction. I've fooled around with pressures, but still even on dry warm days, trying to zip out from a stop sign etc. involves too much wheel spin. I got rid of the factory Bridgestones as like any other summer tires they were awful below about 45 degrees and in even a hint of snow (got stuck trying to get out of a parking lot in 1/8" of snow once), but traction on warmer dry days was never an issue. Maybe I've overstated this issue with the Generals, as they are very livable with for the most part and hang on like hell round corners for an all season, especially for the price.

My friend has the AS03s in 205/40r17 and I have BFGoodrich Comp 2 A/S's in 205/45r17. We live in the same climate with the same snowstorms and weather and we're both stock. I've driven his car and raced his car vs mine in the same conditions. He spins with wet roads in 2nd where I don't. I can go full throttle in 30 degree weather in 1st and not spin where he will and tire rack shows the stopping distance of that tire to be 20 feet longer than the Comp 2 but I'll check that on our cars. We didn't get a ton of snow and I didn't drive his car in the snow but he said mine has much more control in the snow when I let him drive my car. I honestly think the Comp 2 is the best UHP all season tire around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have the Nitto NeoGen. Great tire for the money, and they better in the snow than you’d think.
What kind of winter conditions have you had these out in (i.e.; slush, and various depths of packed and powder snow, ice)?

I ask because it is between these, and another set of PS AS/3s (now +es) at almost twice the price, for the next go round on my factory wheels in a 205/40-17.
(IF the BFG Comp 2 all seasons were available in out OEM size, I would've also considered them in the mix. [:(])

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
What kind of winter conditions have you had these out in (i.e.; slush, and various depths of packed and powder snow, ice)?

I ask because it is between these, and another set of PS AS/3s (now +es) at almost twice the price, for the next go round on my factory wheels in a 205/40-17.
(IF the BFG Comp 2 all seasons were available in out OEM size, I would've also considered them in the mix. [:(])
I’m running Nitto NeoGen’s on both FiSTs, but I’m going to switch back to the Stones around April.

Right now we have around 4 inches of combined powered/packed snow, and I’m a little surprised how well these tires do in the snow. You’d never think they’d work as well as they do judging from the tread. For what it’s worth- I work with a guy that has the PS A/S 3’s, and he says they’re terrible in the snow.

They’re fairly grippy, too. They grip better than the Stones 50* degrees, and under; they do better in the rain, too.

Honestly my only gripe is that the sidewalls aren’t as stiff as Stones, but that’s to be expected.

I’m happy with them. If I were to do it over again, I’d still pick the NeoGens over the PS A/S 3s for cost reasons alone, and I’m only using them 5 months out of the year anyway.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, they sound like the perfect 'intermediate' factory size tire (on for the late fall/early spring with little to no snow or ice, but still COLD dry ambient temps) for my uses, since I have RS-RRs on 1.2s for the summer, and plan on eventually getting a full winter setup of a 16x7 rally style wheel with 195/50-16 Nokian R2s on them for snow/ice and working on rallies use.

one option (that is fairly cheap) is the Kumho ecsta 4xII, i bought them just to hold me over for the winter and they have been alright, grip is about what you would expect from as all season , but i do feel that the sidewalls are a bit soft, one nice thing about them though is they are pretty damn quiet and ride well

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If you will be using them in a bit of snow and or ice then the Nitto is really only a 3 season tire and not the best choice, amazingly competent 3 season or 4 season if you do not have the snow and ice issues where they are just not going to be a safe tire. I have them and love them but never took them out in bad weather as I had a huge dually I used instead and now have an AWD 4runner.

I cannot comment on the General other than to say it looks like it might be better in the snow and ice but still not great and not up to par with the Nitto from all I have researched for the warmer months.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I have the Nittos and I absolutely love them. They have amazing grip in the dry and phenomenal grip in the wet. Even in the pouring rain. I would not hesitate to buy these again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
Anyone have pics? I'm already a believer in performance, it's the question of the section width and does it really look a bit fatter?