Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people test drove the Focus ST but ended up getting the Fiesta ST?

How many people test drove the Focus ST but ended up getting the Fiesta ST?

• I did

Votes: 152 59.4%
  • I didn't

Votes: 104 40.6%

• Total voters

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
The FoST is too big and stationwagony for my taste. But not bad looking for what it is.

I test drove them both....the FiST was up first and what I came to test drive. The sales guy said I should also try the FoST so I thought why not? The FiST was so much...just plain fun and seemed sized right for me. The whole package just seemed so awesome for the money. It was a good idea to drive the FoST..but it seemed too big and not nearly as engaging..and I didn't think I needed the added utility......I cut the drive short........If I was serious about the FoST...then I would of had to give the GTI a serious look.............

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
We test drove the FoST and thought it a tad big . when we told the sales guy that and asked about the FiST he looked at us as if we were from Mars LOL worth it to me at this point in my life to have a small hot hatch in our small fleet of cars/Truck..

CanadianST

It's got everything I like in my cars, small, nimble and fairly powerful with a manual trans so I doubt I'll be disappointed. It's the first one sold in my province and no one at the dealer including myself has seen one in person yet.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
It's got everything I like in my cars, small, nimble and fairly powerful with a manual trans so I doubt I'll be disappointed. It's the first one sold in my province and no one at the dealer including myself has seen one in person yet.
Same reason why I bought mine.

You may even be amazed...this is a gifted car. I think you made a good call! But it still took some courage sight unseen.......I think you deserve a dram or two of good single malt scotch......

I drove both too and just liked everything about the Fist more. The exterior styling, size, and interior layout all were better in my opinion with the Fist. The driving and overall feel and fun factor in the Fist were much better even though I'm a big dude at 215 lbs and the salesman all telling me the Fost would be better for me, Lol. Those are all dealerships that only had Fosts and no Fists

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
My dealer was also pushing the FoST over the FiST but that was because they had none on the lot at the time.

My salesman didn't know much about the FOST and seemed to not even know the Fiesta had an ST model [facepalm]. I was explaining so much to him about the car,that on the way home my mother said I was giving him so much info that she could tell he was gonna use it to sell the car next time someone would look at one,haha.

When we went to test drive the FOST it was early February and very cold,well the car wouldn't start/turn over. So I'm telling him he needs to go get a jumper battery/box,well this moron for atleast 15mins mind you in the freezing cold was arguing with me saying I wasn't starting the car right bc he kept saying to me " it obviously has power bc the screen comes on" I was tripping on how dumb this guy was. I told him that many times a car that won't start usually still has some juice in it,hence why the screen would be on,but not enough to actually start.

You'd think it would have stopped there but nooooo,this dingbat decides to pop the hood and see if something was wrong and took him 3mins to find the battery,in which he only found bc he had called over an employee to help him out with the car [screwy]. Finally,the other employee who I guess had a brain told him it needs a jump. He comes back hooks up the jumper I push clutch in and push the start button,fires right up. I look over at him with a look and was like "yea man,foot has to be on break,eh?" He kept telling me before that I wasn't starting it right and had to have my foot on break,tried telling him that's for autos!

All in all I stuck it out bc I got to test drive the FOST which was brand spanky new with 3miles on it and it was an ST3 pkg. Those Full Leather Recaros where very nice.

-ry

Good story RyGuy....sounds like a fairly typical not much knowledge about the car sales guy.......The other day I was with a friend who looked at the Fiat Abarth...the sales guy, quite impressive, really knew his cars...it was pretty refreshing to see this.....

I drove both as well as Mazda Speed 3, BRZ, Evo X, and Genesis coupe. I ended up buying the Evo but traded it in 2 months later on the FiST. Its only money right? [shameful]
My impression of the Focus was that it reminded me too much of my old Caliber SRT4. It just was too big with not enough power, just my opinion. I never felt any rush of excitement driving it. I did love the leather recaros. It had a lot more room than the Fiesta but as I have no kids and mainly just drive myself to work and back I thought the Fiesta was a better suit. Each time I have gone in the sales guys have tried pushing the Focus on me. I even almost grabbed a 2013 FoST that was fully loaded for $24000. Too bad it was tangerine scream. I considered it for a few days but told myself to not just look for the best deal but to get the car I initially wanted. Ended up ordering a 2015 Blue FiST with just the Recaro package for $24000 out the door thanks to my trade and saving on tax.

This may sound silly, but I wouldn't even consider the Focus ST - why?

That F*%#ing back end. It wouldn't be so bad but those stupid tail lights really sour me on it, and the rear end treatment doesn't "flow" design wise with the rest of the car - it doesn't even flow well with the design of the front end. Design by committee, it seems?

The problem I have with the Focus hatch's tails is the same problem I have with the 370Z, 2014+ Chevy Suburban and other cars with those stupid "pulled edge" tail lights/headlights that seem to be popular - car designers take note - it never looks good.

Related:
When buying a couple other sales guys came by to talk to me about it and were mentioning things like "oh i heard some people find the pedals in the fiesta too close together" and im like "DGAF i don't want a focus st." By my tone and the fact that I can out-tech nearly any dealership rep on any of the cars on the lot, they got the message pretty quick I wasn't budging from a FiST
Kinda a different situation, but our dealer we bought our escape titanium from was trying to under sell us... Kinda weird. He kept trying to convince me I wanted an SE. I was expecting him to be like your situation and try to sell me a full options titanium, but in stead he was pushing the S and SE... Maybe he was afraid we were shooting too high and didn't want to lose a sale.

I have to admit, the 1.6 turbo is snappy as hell in the escape, I can only imagine what the fiesta st is like.

OP
Harvick

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
Kinda a different situation, but our dealer we bought our escape titanium from was trying to under sell us... Kinda weird. He kept trying to convince me I wanted an SE. I was expecting him to be like your situation and try to sell me a full options titanium, but in stead he was pushing the S and SE... Maybe he was afraid we were shooting too high and didn't want to lose a sale.

I have to admit, the 1.6 turbo is snappy as hell in the escape, I can only imagine what the fiesta st is like.
Some dealers pay their sales people a flat fee regardless of the price of the vehicle so you may be right. He wanted to close the deal as quick as possible.

Etyrnus

I had gone to the dealer intending to drive the Focus, but they didn't have one. Saw the FiST, took it for a test drive and fell in love. Sat in a Titanium focus just to see, and it felt huge in comparison.

My first post here, but this seems to be the most relevant place considering the circumstances. Owned a 04 ZX5 Focus, loved it, but it was 10 years old with over 100k miles and starting to have a few issues. Landed a new job that required 80% travel, most of that within 1-3 hours of drive time. I had every intention of replacing my Focus with another Focus, and I knew that I wanted an ST just for the power.

Called around to all the dealerships in the city, looking for an ST to test drive so I could order with the options I wanted, with only one dealer in the city at the time with one in stock. Drove out and as i'm pulling into the guest parking space, right up against the building, is this Tuxedo Black Fiesta ST, fully loaded. So I say to myself, yeah, while i'm here i'll take that for a spin too.

So long story short i've had my FiST for 3 weeks....[raceflag]