Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people test drove the Focus ST but ended up getting the Fiesta ST?

How many people test drove the Focus ST but ended up getting the Fiesta ST?

• I did

Votes: 152 59.4%
  • I didn't

Votes: 104 40.6%

• Total voters

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
My first post here, but this seems to be the most relevant place considering the circumstances. Owned a 04 ZX5 Focus, loved it, but it was 10 years old with over 100k miles and starting to have a few issues. Landed a new job that required 80% travel, most of that within 1-3 hours of drive time. I had every intention of replacing my Focus with another Focus, and I knew that I wanted an ST just for the power.

Called around to all the dealerships in the city, looking for an ST to test drive so I could order with the options I wanted, with only one dealer in the city at the time with one in stock. Drove out and as i'm pulling into the guest parking space, right up against the building, is this Tuxedo Black Fiesta ST, fully loaded. So I say to myself, yeah, while i'm here i'll take that for a spin too.

So long story short i've had my FiST for 3 weeks....[raceflag]
haha nice story..welcome to the forums from another former Focus owner.

me32

1000 Post Club
For me it really came down to the FiST just felt faster for some reason. It also felt like it handled better. The FoST did have a smother ride but also had the shifter it kinda wired spot for me. I the only thing I would actually like to have would of been the FoST 2.0 motor in the FiST.

The dealer I went to initially kept trying to sell me the Focus ST... I took it for a drive and found the size awkward. After driving the Fiesta Titanium I knew I definitely wanted the fiesta. I went to look at them in the first place. Ended up at a different dealer since the were more interested in getting me the car I wanted, not selling me one they had.

me32

1000 Post Club
The dealer I went to initially kept trying to sell me the Focus ST... I took it for a drive and found the size awkward. After driving the Fiesta Titanium I knew I definitely wanted the fiesta. I went to look at them in the first place. Ended up at a different dealer since the were more interested in getting me the car I wanted, not selling me one they had.
Sounds like they dont like to sell cars then

iso100

1000 Post Club
I went in knowing I wanted the Fiesta ST but the sales guy encouraged me to test drive both. The Fiesta seemed more nimble and tossable but the focus wasn't bad by any stretch. The Fiesta ST was just a bit better.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I really wanted a small car like my ZX3 from back in the day as it is really the only car I have had that left a meaningful impression on me. I let my girlfriend talk me out of a Fiesta back in 2012 due to our family size. Bought the 2012 Focus, then traded it in on a loaded Titanium and loved it. Then a buddy let me drive his FoST shortly after they came out...

From then I was always a little disappointed in my Ti. After having driven my car for so long with it's power, I wanted more. My girlfriend wanted something new and smaller than her Armada so I nudged her towards the FoST and we ended up in a ST3. I very nearly bought two that day, but I really wanted to try out the FiST or wait for next-years MX-5 because I really wanted a smaller car.

The third week of FoST ownership I magically fell in love with the Recaro's (I only drive it on Friday's) and decided that I needed to test my fitment in the FiST Recaro's as I didn't know if they might be smaller. I found one to test-fit, and when the salesman opened the door and I got my first full-look at the MO interior I decided that if I fit in it that I was taking it home. I sat in it and started it up, moved the seat and steering wheel a little, shifted the transmission through the gears and shut it off. He asked if I wanted to test-drive it and I told him that I had already seen enough.

Now we own one of each. I still drive the FoST on Fridays, but it's nowhere near as exciting as it was before I bought the FiST.

me32

1000 Post Club
I really wanted a small car like my ZX3 from back in the day as it is really the only car I have had that left a meaningful impression on me. I let my girlfriend talk me out of a Fiesta back in 2012 due to our family size. Bought the 2012 Focus, then traded it in on a loaded Titanium and loved it. Then a buddy let me drive his FoST shortly after they came out...

From then I was always a little disappointed in my Ti. After having driven my car for so long with it's power, I wanted more. My girlfriend wanted something new and smaller than her Armada so I nudged her towards the FoST and we ended up in a ST3. I very nearly bought two that day, but I really wanted to try out the FiST or wait for next-years MX-5 because I really wanted a smaller car.

The third week of FoST ownership I magically fell in love with the Recaro's (I only drive it on Friday's) and decided that I needed to test my fitment in the FiST Recaro's as I didn't know if they might be smaller. I found one to test-fit, and when the salesman opened the door and I got my first full-look at the MO interior I decided that if I fit in it that I was taking it home. I sat in it and started it up, moved the seat and steering wheel a little, shifted the transmission through the gears and shut it off. He asked if I wanted to test-drive it and I told him that I had already seen enough.

Now we own one of each. I still drive the FoST on Fridays, but it's nowhere near as exciting as it was before I bought the FiST.

that's pretty sweet to own both

I test drove both, I wasn't sure which car I wanted but knew it had to be an ST.

Drove the fiesta first then the focus. And although the focus had noticeably more power, that was the only positive I could find. Car felt huge, the shifter is on a really weird angle, the parking brake is also shaped awkwardly. Their were so many buttons on the wheel. The leather recaros were nice but didn't hug me anywhere close to the fiesta. And the fiesta came with the two tone seats, which IMO with the MO paint. Was a necessity. Really brings the whole car together. Plus the fiesta had a 6k cheaper pricetag (CDN$) and came with most things standard.

Owned the car since Monday, have seen one of my older brothers in Tangerine, and didn't have even a moment of buyers remorse. This is the better car. Hands down.

Test drove both. Took the FiST over a loaded FoST ST3 for the same price. FoST is a great car, but I found the interior design kind of obnoxious, and rather cramped. What an engine, though.

I stopped by a dealership on a whim to check out the FiST. They didn't have any in stock so they asked if I wanted to test drive a FoST. Sure, why not?
Nice car, nice ride, feels really solid, well built, planted. All good things, just not what I was looking for. I wanted small, squirrelly, nervous speed, and that's what I bought. I respect the Focus though, very nice car.

The FoST is a bigger car. not what I was looking for. And I couldn't get over how much it weighed in the corners. I drove the FiST and knew immediately this smaller, lighter, more nimble car was for me.

but wow, I love the engine and exhaust tone in the FoST.

CanadianST

The FoST is a bigger car. not what I was looking for. And I couldn't get over how much it weighed in the corners. I drove the FiST and knew immediately this smaller, lighter, more nimble car was for me.

but wow, I love the engine and exhaust tone in the FoST.
Sounds like an engine swap is in order ;) haha

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I drove the Fost when it first came out. I said, "that is the best driving fwd car I've ever driven, its AWESOME. But I would never buy one" then went on a rant about how it was bad shit crazy and torque steered like my 160k mile 1989 civic with 220whp. I told everyone "see it ford will finance in a LSD when you buy it".

Besides that, i loved the car but didn't buy because i wanted to drive the rumored "at the time" coming fist.

My twins came along and I needed 5 seat belts and my G35 coupe only had 4. I drove the first base $24,400 fist my local dealer got. I broke the shifter in it after 7 miles and LOVED THE CAR. 4 days later, I drove 3.5hours to buy a fully loaded fist with Recaros.

Now I'm hoping to buy a crown vic or something so I never have to sell my fist for "more room" or anything else. I regret selling my srt4 6 years ago, so I want to hang onto what I feel like is going to be another epic car to own long term. I also think we will keep FAR LOWER production numbers and hense be worth MORE MONEY than the fost in 10 years.

I went in knowing I should buy the Focus, as the Fiesta is too small. I even asked the dealer to find me a Focus and immediately had regrets.

What killed the Focus for me was the test drive. I rolled into third gear on a highway cloverleaf and it kicked the ass out and it was like "Do you want to daily drive a car that's this tail happy? No not really"

i test drove a focus st while my finance mgr was running numbers on both the focus st and the fiesta st. i came back after 5 min and wanted to drive the fist again. so much more fun. so i bought it.

I test drove the Focus ST before getting into a Fiesta ST. I knew that if I had gone with the Focus I would have always wondered what it would have been like to own its little brother. Price point for the Fiesta ST is amazing for what you get. I couldn't resist. Plus money left over for mods. Seemed like a win-win over the Focus ST.

Test drove both at the L.A. auto show. Liked both, but the FIST was more like a go-kart for grownups. I was hooked.