Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters
We have a number of vendors that have recently released or will soon release catch cans. They each have their own threads, and a number of people have asked in those threads--which one is better and what are the differences. I thought it made more sense to start a seperate thread on neutral territory to discuss the various catch cans and compile impressions, as people get them installed.

To keep the thread clean, here are the obligatory catch can 101 links:

There are 4 (and maybe 5) main contenders:

James Barone Racing​

Mishimoto​

Boomba​

Damond Motorsports​

Home-brew/custom​

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #2
Distinguishing Features (Under Construction--Not Tapatalk friendly)

[table="class: grid"]
[tr]
[th][/th]
[th]Boomba[/th]
[th]Damond[/th]
[th]JBR[/th]
[th]Mishimoto[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Price[/td]
[td]$190[/td]
[td]$190[/td]
[td]$165[/td]
[td]$260[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Capacity[/td]
[td]350ml[/td]
[td]~240ml[/td]
[td]350ml[/td]
[td]60ml[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Mounting location[/td]
[td]By intake manifold (for PCV) and under intake piping (for CCV); must have sound symposer delete for PCV[/td]
[td]Passenger side strut tower[/td]
[td]Passenger side strut tower[/td]
[td]Passenger side engine mount behind headlight[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Plug-n-play[/td]
[td]No; must re-use stock fittings[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[td]No; must re-use stock fittings[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Colors[/td]
[td]Can: natural, black, blue, or red[/td]
[td]Hoses: black, blue, or red[/td]
[td]Can: black, blue, or red[/td]
[td]Hoses: black, blue, or red[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Filtration[/td]
[td]Baffled with "2 step filtration system"[/td]
[td]Layers and layers and layers of perforated baffle plates[/td]
[td]3 stacked baffles[/td]
[td]Single baffle plus 50 micron bronze filter on outlet[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Drain kit[/td]
[td]Not included[/td]
[td]Included[/td]
[td]Included[/td]
[td]Sold separately ($40)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Check valve[/td]
[td]Can add to kit ($33)[/td]
[td]Included[/td]
[td]Can add to kit ($15)[/td]
[td]Must buy seperately[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Hose diameter[/td]
[td]3/8"[/td]
[td]5/8"[/td]
[td]5/8"[/td]
[td]5/8"[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Other features[/td]
[td]Porthole to check levels; configurable for CCV[/td]
[td]Can add vent to atmosphere [/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Can is fully accessible, allowing for cleaning[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I'm leaning towards Mishimoto as I don't want to have to jack up the car to empty it. Also mishi's is literally plug and play with the included connectors with their hoses. Easier to return to stock setup quickly if needed (for whatever reason) as the OEM hose is left as is. The only issue I might have with mishi's is it might be a little messy with oil residue remaining on the top portion dripping into the engine bay/floor. Gotta have the paper towel ready to catch the drip.
But getting messy is part of car maintenance so no biggie.

JBR's might be good if I had ramps. Drive up, twist valve and empty into a container. Done. I'm still not sure if a check valve is a must in these or is just a redundancy/precautionary item.

Not too concerned with the baffling/filtration as I'm sure all of them will do the job.

I'm still waiting for full details on Boomba's before pulling the trigger.

Edit: I see Mishi's has an option to add a drain kit but for $45.00. Expensive (IMO) for what it is, but the option is there if you ever need it.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
One differentiation:
- install location believe Mishimoto is near the passenger headlight the other are at the passenger strut; this could be of importance for RHD
- Mishimoto is only black but have hose colour option
- Mishi and Boomba have the (or so said) the OEM PCV connections on the hoses (provided) for true plug and play
- Boomba is largest by volume
- Mishi is lifetime warranty (if it matters can't really break a billet can)
- JBR available now, Boomba soon, Mishi end of August
- Boomba has a lot of other under hood accessory that will match in style and looks.

To be honest I feel non are a bad choice. Just a matter of personal preference or a nuance you feel one has over the other.

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #5
One differentiation:
- install location believe Mishimoto is near the passenger headlight the other are at the passenger strut; this could be of importance for RHD
Has Boomba confirmed location? Last I saw, they said they were looking at location around the battery box, but maybe that's old info.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Has Boomba confirmed location? Last I saw, they said they were looking at location around the battery box, but maybe that's old info.
Good catch I missed that, had to reread the whole thread. So looks like location might be the key differentiation for all.

PhoenixM3

I'll be installing Bob's oil separator which is leftover from my single can (bought driver and passenger side cans) GT500 installation. Pics to follow...

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Distinguishing Features (Under Construction)

JBR:
  • Includes drain kit
  • Have to re-use (remove) stock fittings for plug-n-play
  • Available in black, blue, and red

Mishimoto:
  • Baffled plus 50 micron bronze filter on outlet
  • Can is fully accessible, allowing for cleaning
  • Can only available in black, but hoses available in colors

Boomba:
  • Customizable: can be configured as 2 port or 3 port for PCV or CCV sides
  • Baffled with "2 step filtration system" (source)
  • Available in multiple colors
  • Includes port hole to check fluid levels in the can; others do not include any indicator for fluid level
Nice summary....

Some observations and comments as all these OCC's appear functional but each of them have certain aspects that I'm not quite sure about yet....

[HR][/HR]
- Note that Boomba's inlets and outlet ports are only 3/8" whereas both Mishimoto's and JBR's are 5/8" which match to the existing IM and PCV ports which are also 5/8"...I think 3/8" inlet and outlet ports might be too narrow and somewhat restrictive ...(one size does not fit all applications)

- I'm a bit on the fence with respect Mishimioto's fairly dense 50 micron filter used which I would think can get clogged up quite quickly requiring more maintenance than the others available using layered screens / baffles which are just as effective...

- Location wise I do like where Mishimoto's OCC is located....However, their OCC is going to mounted on the top motor mount and I am concerned that over time the bracket could crack due to excessive vibration since the OCC will be hanging from this bracket...

- Not quite sure about how easy draining the JBR OCC will be...I am hoping you can simply place a water bottle under the hose from underneath the car (without being raised) and then reach down from the top (in the engine bay) to open the rotating valve to drain into the bottle...

- Eager to see where Boomba does finally identify a location for the OCC in the FiST...So far the pics shown have been with their OCC mounted in a Focus ST and that location will not work for the FiST...

- I will also want to have a check valve installed in my setup between IM and OCC....Boomba and JBR have these available...Mishimoto does not....

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Nice summary....

Some observations and comments as all these OCC's appear functional but each of them have certain aspects that I'm not quite sure about yet....

[HR][/HR]
- Note that Boomba's inlets and outlet ports are only 3/8" whereas both Mishimoto's and JBR's are 5/8" which match to the existing IM and PCV ports which are also 5/8"...I think 3/8" inlet and outlet ports might be too narrow and somewhat restrictive ...(one size does not fit all applications)

- I'm a bit on the fence with respect Mishimioto's fairly dense 50 micron filter used which I would think can get clogged up quite quickly requiring more maintenance than the others available using layered screens / baffles which are just as effective...

- Location wise I do like where Mishimoto's OCC is located....However, their OCC is going to mounted on the top motor mount and I am concerned that over time the bracket could crack due to excessive vibration since the OCC will be hanging from this bracket...

- Not quite sure about how easy draining the JBR OCC will be...I am hoping you can simply place a water bottle under the hose from underneath the car (without being raised) and then reach down from the top (in the engine bay) to open the rotating valve to drain into the bottle...

- Eager to see where Boomba does finally identify a location for the OCC in the FiST...So far the pics shown have been with their OCC mounted in a Focus ST and that location will not work for the FiST...

- I will also want to have a check valve installed in my setup between IM and OCC....Boomba and JBR have these available...Mishimoto does not....
Great concerns. Good write up man.

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #13
Nice summary....

[HR][/HR]

A lot of good points here. I will integrate into the distinguishing features post.

I have to say I sort of disagree on a couple points. First, I'm skeptical that the 50 micro filter is going to have issues. Mishi does have a pretty good engineering shop and they use this can a lot of applications. If a clogging filter was an issue, I'd think we'd see it in reviews on other platforms. I'm also not sure you can say that the baffles are just as effective. Second, while I agree that 3/8" instead of the stock 5/8" hose is a little screwy, I'm not sure we need to worry about the restrictiveness of the PCV. Did Ford make the stock tubing 5/8" because that's ideal for pulling vapors out of the CC or because that's what fit? At any rate, adding a bunch of baffling and a 50 micron filter would seem to me to add as much, if not more restriction as shrinking the ID of the hoses.

I definitely agree on a few of the concerns. The motor mount does seem like a somewhat precarious spot to stick a mount. I'm also concerned about the JBR drain tube. When I was looking at placing my own drain tube in a similar spot, all I saw was a lot of things that get very hot--turbo, exhaust, etc. Seems like that's a nasty environment to run a drain tube...

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'm skeptical that the 50 micro filter is going to have issues. Mishi does have a pretty good engineering shop and they use this can a lot of applications. If a clogging filter was an issue, I'd think we'd see it in reviews on other platforms. I'm also not sure you can say that the baffles are just as effective.
I raised this point because I have know of others that have had these OCC's with 50 micron dense filters and found they required far more cleaning maintenance and some have had them clog on them....Personally a think its a bit over engineered and baffles are quite an effective solution such as seen in JBR's design...That said I'm glad to see that Mishimoto has come quite far from the days of just offering empty OCC's

MOFiST

Nice summary....

[HR][/HR]

Just a thought on the 3/8 vs 5/8 restriction. If you're running a check valve you'll notice it's a fair restriction. Mine is far narrower than the pipe. Therefore one could argue the check valve will play more a role in restriction. Perhaps a in line vacuum gauge would be a fun experiment.

I also thought the placement of the Mishimoto some what precarious if it was to leak it'd potentially do it on serpentine belt. That said it looks a solid can to me. I also dig those custom hoses.

Looking forward to seeing Boomba's final offering.

Also Damond Motorsports is about to be offering an OCC but not yet up on his page. https://instagram.com/p/2jWQPaw80l/

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Just a thought on the 3/8 vs 5/8 restriction. If you're running a check valve you'll notice it's a fair restriction. Mine is far narrower than the pipe. Therefore one could argue the check valve will play more a role in restriction. Perhaps a in line vacuum gauge would be a fun experiment.

Also Damond Motorsports is about to be offering an OCC but not yet up on his page. https://instagram.com/p/2jWQPaw80l/
what size check valve? If its 5/8" you should see minimal restriction when fully open...And crack pressures are usually < 0.5 psi...Yes, it would be interesting to measure / verify this though....

Appears as if Damond also includes has a check valve and the hose lines are clearly 5/8" to the OCC ports, similar to JBR's and Mishimoto's

MOFiST

what size check valve? If its 5/8" you should see minimal restriction when fully open...And crack pressures are usually < 0.5 psi...Yes, it would be interesting to measure / verify this though....

Appears as if Damond also includes has a check valve and the hose lines are clearly 5/8" to the OCC ports, similar to JBR's and Mishimoto's
But the volume of air coming through might not require 5/8 ID. How much blow by do we expect from PCV? I guess more air volume would pull more oil yes? It'd be an interesting experiment.
My thoughts on the check valve only come from my visual observations seeing it had a narrow restriction within it's innards.