Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Painting brake calipers

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, has anyone had any luck painting the factory red calipers a different colour? I'm not sure how I would remove the red and if it would be necessary.
Haven't done this personally, but with most paintable things you would want to sand as much of the red off as you can (if even possible), then do it again. Then clean the surface from all the dust and grime with alcohol. After that, a coat of primer/white paint to try and cover as much of the red as possible, then you should be able to start painting the color you want.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEEYTtIfMU&list=PLw0as7T1G9Le7tDfKaMXBO5ar_uazzsnO&index=9&t=0s

Haven't done this personally, but with most paintable things you would want to sand as much of the red off as you can (if even possible), then do it again. Then clean the surface from all the dust and grime with alcohol. After that, a coat of primer/white paint to try and cover as much of the red as possible, then you should be able to start painting the color you want.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEEYTtIfMU&list=PLw0as7T1G9Le7tDfKaMXBO5ar_uazzsnO&index=9&t=0s
Yeah it's the paint removal that I don't know how to do effectively without sand blasting off the car.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
No need to remove. Just rough it up real well with sand paper. Start at 600 grit. Then prime and use 1000 between two coats of primer. Then do your color with 3000 or finer grit. Youll want at least 4 coats of color. And let the paint cure completely. So it doesnt gas out and wreck your next layer.