Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Test drove a Focus ST and Fiesta ST today...

So during my test drive I couldnt really mess with much since I was more focused on driving and shifting gears (currently own a GTI with a dsg transmission), and overall I did like the car. I have a few nit picks that come from me having a VW.. The interior was not bad, but again coming from a VW not much is going to be on the same level (not to sound all high and mighty, the interior is great on the GTI in my opinion). I loved how well the suspension and shifter felt and just overall how quick the car was. What I didnt like were the Recaro seats, which surprised me.. I had been dead set on getting those but just dont like how the headrest pushes my head forward just like in the GTI and that was my whole reason for wanting to change cars.

I had a chance to sit in a Fiesta ST with the standard seats and found them to be comfortable and had a question - do they have the same infotainment system?

I drove a ST1 Focus ST and just didnt like it.. the seats were ok but my back was a little sore after driving. And I didnt like how small the screen was for the backup camera / stereo, the shifter felt very rubbery and the car didnt feel that much faster than the Fiesta.

Bluedrank

The Fiesta ST and Focus ST will both have Sync 3 for the 2016 model year, so they should be the same for the most part. Also, Ford announced that Sync 3 cars like the 2016 models will receive an update that adds Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to the system. So later in the year you'll be able to connect your phone to the cars screen, and get free navigation. The Fiesta ST does not have a backup camera btw, if that matters a lot to you.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
The recaro head rests don't adjust? In the base seats you can tilt them forward and adjust to a spot that's comfortable

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
Good to know. I know it had navigation in the one I drove with the Recaro seats but I would prefer to not have navigation.

Yeah the Headrests just go up and down.. the sales guy was trying to flip them around but couldnt figure out how to get them off. Overall I liked the car.. I just wasnt able to rest my whole back on the seat without my head being smushed forward.

The recaro head rests don't adjust? In the base seats you can tilt them forward and adjust to a spot that's comfortable
I just went to the garage to check. The headrests do not tilt forward and back on my Recaros, at least for the '14.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It takes a bit of effort but documented here, just bend them back a bit, perfect, you would then most likely love the Recaro seats, a bargain deal if you have every swapped seats to good aftermarket you would know that is a very good value.

Everytime I see a FoST I barely look at them, big, heavy, look decent, etc...then I see a FiST and love the way it looks and drives far better:)

I had been dead set on getting those but just dont like how the headrest pushes my head forward just like in the GTI and that was my whole reason for wanting to change cars.
I am sorry did I read this right? The whole reason you wanted to get a new car is because head rest of your seat pushes your head forward? You know getting an aftermarket seat would have been more economical. Just saying...

Let's pretend what I quoted above is not the case, I love my recaros. They were a huge factor on my decision in getting a Fiesta. I believe you can take the head rests off.

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
I am sorry did I read this right? The whole reason you wanted to get a new car is because head rest of your seat pushes your head forward? You know getting an aftermarket seat would have been more economical. Just saying...

Let's pretend what I quoted above is not the case, I love my recaros. They were a huge factor on my decision in getting a Fiesta. I believe you can take the head rests off.
You have to be kidding me. Ill end up having the same car payment and end up spending the same as the down payment on a new car if I were to buy aftermarket Recaros. Id also lose side airbags unless I were to get certain seats. I hope you are never in a car accident with no headrests... thats absolutely idiotic. And I am sure the insurance company would love to learn that after you were in a wreck. However I do believe you can turn them around... but I still wouldnt want to do that. I miss the seats in my s2000.

A quick google search would show that a LOT of other people have the same issues with cars made after ~2010-2012ish that have redesigned head rests that push your head more forward than cars used to. Im not the only one, but thanks for trying to make me out to be some kind of idiot for wanting to fix my back/neck pain. Ive tried pillows and different headrests in my GTI and nothing works.

GAbOS

I'm a small guy, and the Recaro's are amazballs to me and every passenger I have taken with me. The largest complaint is the ingress/regress of the car.

The headrest is perfect for me, if not just a hair forward. I have also seen a mod where someone reversed the headrest at the posts?

I've had a 2014 Focus ST with the Recaros, and now a 2015 Fiesta ST with the base seats. My issue with the Recaros was ingress/egress, and overall discomfort on long drives. I also ended up getting a herniated disc in my lower back from a work injury, and couldn't even get into the Focus, let alone drive it. I tried all sorts of lumbar cushions and pillows, and even took apart the seat and removed the hard plastic bolster from the bottom, and it still was unbearable to sit in. In hindsight, I should have bought a set of Focus Titanium sport seats (or base ST seats) and switched them out for the Recaros, but I switched to the Fiesta ST instead.

But now I have the base seats in the Fiesta and they are comfortable, if not a little flat on the bottom. The side bolsters do a decent job of hugging your sides, unless you have the lumbar all the way out. Regardless, for me, much better than the Recaros. No problems on long drives, no extra lumbar cushions needed (and I've since had back surgery to take care of the herniated disc).

The reason I ended up with the Recaros in the Focus is because I wanted the Sony sound system, and they're bundled together into the ST2 package. Thankfully in the Fiesta they are not, the Recaros are a stand-alone option. You still get a Sony sound system in the Fiesta ST, just not as many speakers or wattage as the one in the Focus.

My advice - sit in BOTH sets of seats, test drive them BOTH, doing an errand or 2 of your normal daily life routine to see how you and the seats "fit together". If you're coming from a GTI, the Focus will be about the same size, and it does have a better quality feeling interior than the Fiesta.

But for me, in the end, the Focus seemed too big, and a little too much power for me (don't judge) - the size and output of the Fiesta ST suits me perfectly!

twolf

[MENTION=4486]Blindeye_03[/MENTION] I live in Canton and we have a huge group of FoST/FiST owners. If you want to buy a car PM me first and I'll get you hooked up with the right people. I can get you a good deal.

And I believe they offer a free lifetime warranty.

What gen of GTI do you have OP? Basically you will be taking a hit as far as interior quality goes; there's simply no way around that fact. But the FoST and FiST are much more fun to drive. I recently made the tough choice between my MK7 and a FiST. I do not regret my choice one bit, but I'm sure I would have been happy with the other choice too.

Waterfan

FWIW my solution for "Recaro headrests too far fwd" was:
-extending the headrest as high as possible
-tilting the seat back farther back than I used to (I like to be completely upright, now I have some lean back to accommodate the headrest)

On my recent HPDE event, I found that my headrest in my Golf R was too far forward as well.

Did 2 laps with the helmet on -- leaned the seat back, bam, problem solved. Stayed that way.

Same problem in the Fiesta -- headerest too far forward... leaned the seatback, adjusted how the bottom tilts, perfect now.

My Recaro's are also MUCH more comfortable now than when I first bought the car a month ago. I love them.

I thought the headrest was a bit too far forward as well. I have my seat leaned in the right position now that I don't even notice it. The Recaros are a great fit for me. They are tight, so for long trips I take my wallet out of my pocket or it will dig in. Recaros also come with heated seats and heated mirrors which the standard seats don't. I didn't think I'd care about the heated seats, but once it started getting chilly here they were great.

The base seats are fine for me. They're actually decent for long drives too. The headrest adjusts forward enough to keep me up straight and back enough to slip in a neck pillow on long drives.

Also, I believe all 2016 Fiesta STs have the same infotainment. Only "upgrade" is nav.

I also found the headrest on the recaros a bit annoying with the leaning forward so I swapped them out for some leather headrests off of a focus and they fit almost perfect and are tilt adjustable.