Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

OP
D
Thread Starter #41
It's not going to be a recall its gonna be a freindlu services advisor

jayrod1980

If it's a defect it should be covered regardless. Also, if you get a notice in the mail saying your vin is affected, I would say that's a voluntary recall. Regardless I'd like that part changed out if it's prone to fail. My car in 86 degrees never went above 195 on coolant but I wasn't beating it constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #44
Yes do your vehicle is affect it will be fixed for free I'll let y'all no If it fixes my issue

Yep I saw this notice to parts department this week. It's the high speed fan relay. We've already gotten a few for stock

jayrod1980

Is it a new design or what? I've not had any overheating but I've yet to go through a Las Vegas summer with the car yet. Is this an issue like the AC where it needed programming?

According to the bulletin they may have put the incorrect relay in at the factory. I'll post the bulletin number tomorrow

jayrod1980

Is this the fan relay, and if so, any difference between the number for the part that came in stock? This box has a plug right from the fan...

I know it's apples and oranges here, but in the Miata world if you are overheating at speed it's not your fans that are the problem. With a car with as big of a nose as a Fiesta ST you would think that enough air would be rushing through the radiator at speed to make fans irrelavant.

I hope the relay fix turns out to be the problem but if not I will be mightily unhappy. My Miata already likes to run hot and it's the reason I bought the Fiesta in the first place. When driving near Deals Gap last year I was hitting about 230 degrees before I shut the A/C off, and the extra work of managing my heat was enough to take the fun out of driving it. In a month or so I have a new motor (old one possibly warped a head) going in and I will be adding hood louvers (as well as adjusting my radiator ducting). If that doesn't work, i'm done. A car you can't drive in the heat of the summer with full A/C isn't worth the hassle IMO.

jayrod1980

The service bulletin is for a new fan relay. Not sure if it's just for insurance or if it makes the cooling system perform better, but it seems coolant temps decrease quicker after going over 200F. Car coolant seems to stay closer to 185F now but I don't have data to back it up.

I posted this on the recall thread but the black one is the old relay, the new one is gray. It was 6 bucks and change at the dealership. The Bulletin is 16B11 and it is free but I didn't want them touching my car. All you have to do is pop the fuse cover next to the battery, pull the big black relay out and replace it with the gray one. There's even a triangle marker to show you the direction to face the plug.

I know jayrod1980 said it was a tsb I just got a letter from ford for customer support program on overheating and replacing a relay like he mentioned it gave a date of somewhere in 2017 regardless of miles it's covered.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Common issue is coolant leak at the joint in the coolant pipe just behind the head but then you would have seen at least some coolant level drop
Yep this has just happened to me 2 days ago, I had to order part number C1BZ-8B081-F to replace the stupid hose, $37 from the dealer. There was a tiny tiny hole, really barely noticeable right at the joint on the hard line that fed from the back of the head into the top most feed on a coolant expansion tank. I saw that my coolant was way low, turned my car on, within 5 min, saw coolant squirt out ever so slightly from the tiny hole. The part number C1BZ-8B081-F seems to supersede a previous part number of 8B081-A. Hope this helps anyone that runs into this issue!

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Here is the replacement part, I presume the newer 15 and 16 FiST will have this part already, but this might be a good piece to replace for us 14 guys.

And here was my ghetto fix that keep me limping for the better part of last week lol, self sealing rubber hose and zip ties for the win!

Install took about 30 min, I removed the cowl and intake to give my self plenty of room to work with.

OP
D
Thread Starter #57
Sorry guys new update did the relay I thought that it may have solved my problem but I was wrong it's still overheating

me32

1000 Post Club
Here is the replacement part, I presume the newer 15 and 16 FiST will have this part already, but this might be a good piece to replace for us 14 guys.

And here was my ghetto fix that keep me limping for the better part of last week lol, self sealing rubber hose and zip ties for the win!

Install took about 30 min, I removed the cowl and intake to give my self plenty of room to work with.
Was that a common issues on the 14s

me32

1000 Post Club

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I don't know if it's a common issues, but I can only say that the original part number could not be pulled up at the dealership, leading me to believe its been replaced by a new part.