Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

Quisp

1000 Post Club
So far I am very happy with my mountune radiator. I was mainly concerned with my coolant temps, but I'm going to keep an eye on oil temps now as well.
There's no actual sensor for oil temps. It's estimated by coolant temps.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Who has used a less coolant concentration in their radiator and has had success with that? I was going over the manual and saw this but it doesn't say what temperatures are extreme.
IMG_4918.PNG

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I know we are speaking to severe over-heating in this thread, but just a public service warning to that above manual addendum that they fail to mention;

If you live in a climate which sees very cold winter ambient temps, going above a 70% coolant to 30% water mixture (i.e.; 75%-100% coolant) will also actually RAISE the FREEZING POINT versus anything less than that, down to a 50/50 mix, contrary to what might seem logical (but isn't chemically/thermally). ;)

Thanks for the heads up Jay.
I'm used to old analog gauges that just told it like it was.
Apparently now they buffer and average the data.
Got a bluetooth OBDII reader and the free Torque app.
Idling in 100 degree afternoon the temp went to 212 and just stopped. Guessing that's full open for the thermostat.
Turned A/C and thus the fan off, held rpm's at 2,500, got it to 219, no higher, fan did not kick on.
And the useless bar graph never moved, just like you said, stayed at 4 bars.
Thx again.

Alex, that's way hotter than my bone stock 2016 with 16k on it.
Had the same ambient temp yesterday, only way I could get it to 215 was to park it and hold the revs up.
Sorry can't take a pic yet since the app is on my phone.
Will be getting an AP from Mountune, only reason I don't have it yet is because the 45 day tune period starts as soon as they ship it and I wanted to do some logging while still stock.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Should be able to take screen shots on any smart phone.
Key combination on Windows Phone is volume-up + power.
Simple web search will reveal the combos for Android and iOS.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
So got the warning today while sitting at a light. I drove off and it was in limp mode but quickly began to go down. Highest temp was 247 but damn that gauge is useless as it doesn't really move until it hits a certain temperature. I was driving around 230 and never budged. I check the coolant and it's where it needs to be but I will check later once cooled down more. Has anyone found an actual solution? I will check to see what relay I have once it cools down.
FYI, the "gauge" is not a gauge, it is an indicator with set points specified by Ford so that when the car is in a wide range of normal temps the indicator does not change. The auto makers do not want the consumer to see changes on the indicators, they want what you see to always be the same to reassure you all is well. Few drivers actually pay much attention to anything on the dash and require idiot lights for even oil changes! I think the indicator is there mainly to tell you when the temp in up to normal. Each bar has a low and high set point and is controlled by the ECU, it shows normal (4 bars) until the temp exceeds the set point for the 4th bar, that seems ahhhhh.....normal. My car has never exceeded the 4th bar in over a year in some pretty hot situations. I sat in traffic one day last week driving through Atlanta, the outside temp at 102 in stop and go traffic with A/C on max for 45 minutes and showed only the normal 4 bars.

I would love for the set point data for the indicator to be extracted and published. Many people having cooling issues are running modded cars, mine works fine with the MP-215 tune so we know at 217 HP level the stock radiator is sufficient. At what point it becomes overloaded I would think is determined by HP and changes in airflow from mods. The set points could be modified by a tuner to what you want possibly. It would be wonderful if Ford allowed Apps to access the data then you could have a display with multiple gauges or graphs on screen customized to your needs. Wonder how many people would pay FORD or even Mountune or Cobb for a gauge App? I would go $100 or more for it for sure.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Idling in 100 degree afternoon the temp went to 212 and just stopped. Guessing that's full open for the thermostat.
Turned A/C and thus the fan off, held rpm's at 2,500, got it to 219, no higher, fan did not kick on.

That bolded above is why I argue for a vendor/manufacturer to come up with a fan over-ride switch assembly like the one I had on the LS1 Z28 from SLP. ;)

The car makers are so concerned with every 1/1000th of MPG savings for their CAFE requirements, that they purposely run the systems over-hot for that purpose. [mad]

When I do an E30 tune/tune revision with Stratified, I am going to ask Alex if they have the capability to reset the fan starting points much lower than the factory sets them (I RARELY use the AC in this car; almost 100*F and 90% humidity are my limits), or if that's a HARD set by Ford (like the upper rev limiter) because of EPA mandates.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
That bolded above is why I argue for a vendor/manufacturer to come up with a fan over-ride switch assembly like the one I had on the LS1 Z28 from SLP. ;)

The car makers are so concerned with every 1/1000th of MPG savings for their CAFE requirements, that they purposely run the systems over-hot for that purpose. [mad]

When I do an E30 tune/tune revision with Stratified, I am going to ask Alex if they have the capability to reset the fan starting points much lower than the factory sets them (I RARELY use the AC in this car; almost 100*F and 90% humidity are my limits), or if that's a HARD set by Ford (like the upper rev limiter) because of EPA mandates.
All you need to do is run a +12v line that is switched with the ignition on to the hot side of the relay coil. You could run it through an on/off switch mounted inside if you want manual control. When Off it would be controlled by the ECU and On would be on all the time when the ignition is on. Years ago I pulled the temp sensor from an OLDS V8 put a "t" in and added a thermoswitch that turned on at 195 F. It was wired to a relay feeding the electric fans. Don't know if that is feasible on our car.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
For a little more detail, the screenshot I took was indeed after 10 minutes of cruising after my temps jumped up after a 4th gear pull on the highway from 65 to 95. My air charge temp jumped 30 degrees in a few seconds. I took that screenshot because I couldn't get any of my flu attempts to cool down past that point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk