Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Has anyone installed a front sway bar in their driveway? Would you do it again or get it installed?

Looks like the installation is pretty gnarly - Cobb is showing you have to lower the sub-frame and unbolt the downpipe and steering rack. Just from eyeballing this, it looks like something I can't do in my driveway on jackstands. Is that what others have experienced?

Has anyone had a shop install the bar? How much did they charge? It looks like it's a few hours of labor, maybe ~$200 - $300?

OP
martinw89
Thread Starter #3
Dude, that would be awesome! But unfortunately I'm northeast of Orlando and about 2.5 - 3 hours away from Palm City [:(]

Chuckable

I asked the same question last week and DJ1L said that it could be done so long as the car is jacked up high enough. Beware, though, you should get your alignment checked afterward. I am thinking about attempting the install on jack stands in my garage this weekend.

Gotcha, I was just up by Eustis last week actually. If either of you guys want to make a trip here, I'm always down for installs.

Chuckable

Gotcha, I was just up by Eustis last week actually. If either of you guys want to make a trip here, I'm always down for installs.
Awful nice of you to offer! I'm on the fence about taking you up on it, or saving the 2-hour round-trip drive and seeing if I can get it done at home. If I try it at home and can't get the car lifted high enough, I'm going to wish I made the trip [?|]

Just so I know, whereabouts are you in Palm City, and is it your shop? Do you have a transmission jack or something else tall enough to support the subframe when lowering it? Thanks!

I live in Palm City but the shop is located in Stuart. Right near Cabo Flats off US1. My father and I own the shop, it's more of a man cave / garage with a couple lifts and a bunch of tools - it's for hobby, we're not a repair shop or anything.

XuperXero

I live in Palm City but the shop is located in Stuart. Right near Cabo Flats off US1. My father and I own the shop, it's more of a man cave / garage with a couple lifts and a bunch of tools - it's for hobby, we're not a repair shop or anything.
This. What dreams are made of.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sub'd. I'm trying this next weekend. I knew the subframe had to drop but the down pipe and rack too?!!

Chuckable

Looks like the installation is pretty gnarly - Cobb is showing you have to lower the sub-frame and unbolt the downpipe and steering rack. Just from eyeballing this, it looks like something I can't do in my driveway on jackstands. Is that what others have experienced?
Yes, you can do it in your driveway or garage [wrenchin] I installed the front and rear Eibach sway bars over the weekend in my garage. A lift would have made it quicker and easier, but it's totally doable at home [thumb]

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
[MENTION=1533]Chuckable[/MENTION] Did you disconnect the downpipe as per Cobb's write up? I was under there this weekend and I would think one could snake the sway bar into position without messing with the downpipe.

Chuckable

You may be able to without unbolting the downpipe. But, it's only 2 bolts. So, I'd just unbolt it for the extra bit of room it gives you.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
2 really rusted bolts ;) I'm concerned they won't play nice. I'll report back if I pull it off without removing them

OP
martinw89
Thread Starter #15
Just as an update I decided to take MS67 up on his offer and we're going to be installing the bar this weekend. I'm going to bring my camera and try to get some better installation pictures. I'll also try to get an installation write-up on here soon.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Eagerly awaiting your feedback. I have mine in the air right now doin the RMM and 2pt brace. It looks like just lowering the subframe a few inches should allow the sway to clear but I'd rather wait until I hear what you guys went through. ;) The shop manual says to completely remove the subframe but I'm not too keen on doin that to a brand new car.

OP
martinw89
Thread Starter #18
Hey LilPartyBox! We did not have to remove the subframe off the car, but to get the new bar in we did have to unbolt it completely and just support its weight with a transmission stand. The bar was able to be popped out with just the front subframe bolts loosened (the Torx ones) and everything else taken out.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

We just finished installing the rear bar as well as Koni Yellows all around. It really wasn't bad at all...these cars are pretty easy to work on overall.

We were using an install guide which said to leave the front subframe bolts partially threaded in while keeping the subframe supported....doing it this way, the stock bar barely made it out, and with a lot of frustration. The new bar was definitely NOT going in, so we ended up just taking all the subframe bolts out completely and everything went in no problem. Aside from that, it was a pretty straight forward install. Of course, it took a lot longer because we upgraded the shocks too, but everything went fairly smoothly. If you have any specific questions about anything, let me know.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for letting us know! Glad to hear it wasn't a shit show lol

Did either of you guys disconnect the steering rack from the subframe or at the linkage?

Did you reuse the subframe bolts or buy new?