Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LCA Options?

XuperXero

So... I did maintenance on my car last week and guess what I found? Ball joint boot leaking grease, most likely from my last track day in whch the brake probably melted the boot. And Ford for being the genius they are, decided to make the ball joint and lower control arm in one piece.

This means I have to replace the whole thing and I figured if I'm going to do that, I might as well look into aftermarket options and hopefully with a prevention of letting the ball joint boot melting again especially with the hotter summer weather ahead.

Any suggestions? AFAIK, our LCA is the same as standard Fiesta. Although I did notice ST had more "speed holes" when I compared it to another Fiesta which was also getting service done.

Only $69 for the whole control arm w/ball joint. ..and yes, ST control arms are specific to ST.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Fiesta

IMO I'd get both sides and replace everything, it's inexpensive enough. Also, put your ball joint heat shields back on the car before the next track day, or you'll be putting control arms on your consumables list.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
My car has rubber boots, no heat shields on the ball joints, 2014, stock control arms.

Corvettes raced in classes with stock control arm bushings were not allowed to upgrade ball joints so had to buy new control arms, all 8, big bucks quite often. A company came out with insulating sleaves to put over the joints that helped a great deal, not a perfect cure but the joints lasted much longer.

I will look into something for this car unless somebody knows of what might be available my car does not have, Ryephile?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
It would be cool if we could at least find some poly lca bushings. It would help with wheel hop.

Cyborg turbo, TBE, panda TR6 intercooler, drop in green filter.
245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have had sleeved poly bushings in the whole suspension for nearly two years, Energy Suspension brand.

I rarely have wheel hop and likely none now that I poured urethane into the engine mounts.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #7
Only $69 for the whole control arm w/ball joint. ..and yes, ST control arms are specific to ST.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Fiesta

IMO I'd get both sides and replace everything, it's inexpensive enough. Also, put your ball joint heat shields back on the car before the next track day, or you'll be putting control arms on your consumables list.
Tasca sells for cheaper at $48. But after shipping and tax would end up probably around $100+. I rather buy a set of aftermarket LCA's with poly or some heat proof bushings and never have to change them again. Cheaper in the long run.

There's no heat shield, like RAAMaudio said, it's just a boot and quite close to the brake rotors.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Rick, do you know if we can buy the energy susp bushings alone? Or do you have to buy the entire car kit?

245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #9

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great find, especially with roll center correction, better geometry on lowered cars.

I did not see they are actually for sale though, maybe on another site?

NOTE: not all cars need RC correction, our car can be dropped to a nice compromise street, looks, handling height and still have good geometry.

NOTE 2: when using RC correction ball joints the tie rod ends almost if not always must be moved the same amount or close to it as severe bump steer can be induced.

Anybody have experience with these? They look like they're made for normal Fiesta, but they look beefed up pretty good and with option of RCA ball joints too.

LCA only - http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=1113&Car_Make=6&Car_Model=82&Car_Type=163
LCA w/RCA - http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=2606&Car_Make=6&Car_Model=82&Car_Type=163
Look pretty. Not actually for sale though? *edit* maybe here: http://www.buyhardrace.com/

Great find, especially with roll center correction, better geometry on lowered cars.

I did not see they are actually for sale though, maybe on another site?

NOTE: not all cars need RC correction, our car can be dropped to a nice compromise street, looks, handling height and still have good geometry.

NOTE 2: when using RC correction ball joints the tie rod ends almost if not always must be moved the same amount or close to it as severe bump steer can be induced.
Agreed. A cursory glance at the geometry and I feel the car can be lowered around 1" and not overly lower the front roll center. No idea on the rear kinematics yet. That said, when you adjust the front roll center and not the rear there's a chance over overly changing the roll center axis, which is rarely a great idea. Adding bumpsteer is always a bad idea.

Sounds like we definitely need ball joint heat shields though.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That is about all I lowered mine, it is a decent amount to improve handling yet the geometry is indeed still good, though it as a bit tough to get accurate measurements I go off the center of the ball joints and make sure not above the pickup points then just a bit higher, perfect for my all around needs. I may of plotted it all out as I have on numerous vehicles, do not recall doing so but it would of likely ended up at the same height.

I just lowered the rear the same as the front to keep the axis correct though I generally like the rear slightly higher and did raise it back up 1/4" or so to compensate a bit when we have our dogs on board, it seems to work rather well.

---------------

Of course you know but some may not so I like to mention that one cannot go off of the pinch welds or fender gap when lowering the car unless using the stock tires properly inflated or compensate for different tire diameters and then only if another car is done correctly and the info has been posted. Lowering a car properly is done using the above mentioned pivot points in the suspension, not on how it looks.

-------------

I am looking for insulating sleave to fit over the ball joints but while doing all the other work I am right now I might just make some aluminum heat shields as rather easy to do.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #13
Further information on Hard Race is that they only sell through distributors. Their distributor information is on the website. I saw a third party reseller in China selling for about $260 USD which is not cheap, but keep in mind China is heavily taxed. I would estimate they would go for about $150 for US market.

Since I definitely to get my ball joint repaired... I may bite the bullet and be a lab rat for you guys depending on the price of LCA from the stealership.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anybody have experience with these? They look like they're made for normal Fiesta, but they look beefed up pretty good and with option of RCA ball joints too.

LCA only - http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=1113&Car_Make=6&Car_Model=82&Car_Type=163
LCA w/RCA - http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=2606&Car_Make=6&Car_Model=82&Car_Type=163
Further information on Hard Race is that they only sell through distributors. Their distributor information is on the website. I saw a third party reseller in China selling for about $260 USD which is not cheap, but keep in mind China is heavily taxed. I would estimate they would go for about $150 for US market.

Since I definitely to get my ball joint repaired... I may bite the bullet and be a lab rat for you guys depending on the price of LCA from the stealership.
I reached out to Hardrace...they are available for direct purchase via sales@buyhardrace.com

Thank you for your interest in Hardrace products.

Part number 7236 is available for purchase. It is $235 + $28 S&H, total = $263 shipped.
It is a special order item it will take about 7-13 days to get to you.

Let us know if you have any question or if you are interested in purchasing.
Thank you for your inquiry

Go for it holmes [rockon]

I reached out to Hardrace...they are available for direct purchase via sales@buyhardrace.com

Thank you for your interest in Hardrace products.

Part number 7236 is available for purchase. It is $235 + $28 S&H, total = $263 shipped.
It is a special order item it will take about 7-13 days to get to you.

Let us know if you have any question or if you are interested in purchasing.
Thank you for your inquiry

Go for it holmes [rockon]
$263 shipped for the pair?! That's almost suspiciously inexpensive. [tongue] Definitely buy them and give them a shot!

I guess my only reservation is if since they're called out as Fiesta and Mazda 2 LCA's, are they geometrically any different than the ST arms? The FordParts.com diagrams are identical for normal Fiesta and ST, but the LCA part numbers are different. Since the bushings are part of the part number, it's possible [probable?] that is the only difference between them.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just got a 1.5" x 15' roll of DEI heat shield tape I will wrap two layers around the ball joints and tie rod ends, no more worries:)

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #18
I contacted Hard Race's official supplier. They're asking $295 USD excluding shipping. WTF. Looks like I'll be going through that third party seller.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Hard to imagine a builder couldn't build us sets for $300 a pair:.. Like... From chromoly/tubular. Even if it was $350 or $375, I'd feel better about an entire new control arm over a stock arm with bushings smooshed in it for $300.

And I'd def be careful to make double triple sure they are ST LCA's and not fiesta LCA's. Wouldn't be the first time a company said, "ahhhh, I'm sure they are the same as a 2011 fiesta 5-speed with 115hp".

Energy suspension has GOT to be able to sell us just the LCA bushings alone, even if its expensive for 1 set vs the entire car kit....

245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #20
Hard to imagine a builder couldn't build us sets for $300 a pair:.. Like... From chromoly/tubular. Even if it was $350 or $375, I'd feel better about an entire new control arm over a stock arm with bushings smooshed in it for $300.

And I'd def be careful to make double triple sure they are ST LCA's and not fiesta LCA's. Wouldn't be the first time a company said, "ahhhh, I'm sure they are the same as a 2011 fiesta 5-speed with 115hp".

Energy suspension has GOT to be able to sell us just the LCA bushings alone, even if its expensive for 1 set vs the entire car kit....

245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph
Fiesta ST and regular Fiesta LCA are interchangeable. Fiesta ST is just a little bit more beefed up. I compared directly next to a normal Fiesta while my car was up on the hoist at the dealership. But at this moment, I may just go with OEM and get heat shields.