Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Possible issue with mountune springs??

For anyone that is following this, here is the response that I received from mountune today.

"Hello,

We where able to see that there was a change in the suspension from 13 to 17. The purch/pad that the spring sat in changed and gained about an inch. Which is what was causing the rear to no lower. Did you want to return the springs and get a refunded?"

I guess that's what they're going with.
Maybe this was when the ST200 rear axle was introduced to the whole ST fleet?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I used your install to guide me when I installed my Mountune Springs. When finished, my fronts set just a tiny bit higher than my rear, maybe 3/4 of an inch if that. I looked extensively at your pictures and correct me if I’m wrong but yours seemed to have the same minimal difference.
If you use the wheel openings as a measurement, that sounds right. If you check the pinch weld under the car, it sits level with the Mountune springs. The rear wheel opening is lower than the front, which causes the measurements to be different. I have tossed a level on the pinch weld and it comes out straight. I need to dig up my measurements as I can't recall if they are in the video comments or not.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Did your set actually say "Eibach" anywhere on the spring? Mine do not, they only say "mountune" and a part number. I have a suspicion that mountune is having these things manufactured in China.
I am pretty sure they say Eibach and Mountune on them, but not 100% sure. I just had everything apart last weekend, but don't recall exactly what is on the springs. I might be able to see enough of the spring with the summer wheels installed to check.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
For anyone that is following this, here is the response that I received from mountune today.

"Hello,

We where able to see that there was a change in the suspension from 13 to 17. The purch/pad that the spring sat in changed and gained about an inch. Which is what was causing the rear to no lower. Did you want to return the springs and get a refunded?"

that would sure make sense, except for the one 2015 ST owner who has the same issue as the newer cars.

So my swift springs arrived today. I didn't have time to do the fronts, so I tossed the car onto the lift and swapped out the mountune rears only. I also reinstalled the powerflex spring insulators.

My baseline measurements on the mountune springs were 24.75"L & 25"R. Basically the same height as my stock measurements. Swift + powerflex are 24" R+L. Measurements were taken from the crown of the wheel arch to the ground.

I also noted that there is a difference of approximately 2" in the free height between the mountune and swift rear springs.

At this point I think it's reasonable to conclude that the mountune springs that I received are incorrectly manufactured / out of spec. I still have not received any follow up from mountune with regards to this issue.
So you the Swift springs have the car sit as intended? That doesn't jive with whether or not there was a suspension or spring perch change as stated by them below...If the issue is springs then I'd rather just get a refund and send these back and go with another option that lowers how I want.

"Hello,

I have also been in contact with Mountune on this over the past week. I asked for an update and just yesterday they told me that they think they know what the issue is and are working on a solution. Who has been your main POC there? Mine is Eric Nelson.

So you the Swift springs have the car sit as intended? That doesn't jive with whether or not there was a suspension or spring perch change as stated by them below...If the issue is springs then I'd rather just get a refund and send these back and go with another option that lowers how I want.

I have also been in contact with Mountune on this over the past week. I asked for an update and just yesterday they told me that they think they know what the issue is and are working on a solution. Who has been your main POC there? Mine is Eric Nelson.
Yeah, I have my own theory as to what the issue might be. But it's just a theory that I cannot confirm or deny, so I'll just keep it to myself. I only posted their reply for transparency to others working through similar issues. You guys can draw your own conclusions if need be.

I am on Swift springs now and am quite happy with them so far. I no longer want or need the Mountune parts, so if I can get a refund, I'll be satisfied. Hopefully they can get this sorted out for others in the future.

Ok. I'll see what they come back with for me in regards to what the issue is based on their findings and what the resolution is.

That said, how does the ride quality of the Swift springs compare to the Mountune? I'd like to run them as well, especially if it gives me a proper drop as advertised...

Ok. I'll see what they come back with for me in regards to what the issue is based on their findings and what the resolution is.

That said, how does the ride quality of the Swift springs compare to the Mountune? I'd like to run them as well, especially if it gives me a proper drop as advertised...
The mountune springs did have a softer ride. I actually didn't really like it, as it took some of the sharpness out of the turn in. Basically due to the nature of the progressive springs, since you kind of need to load the springs before they firm up. I also had some really sketchy lift off oversteer with the mountune springs. To be fair, it could have been due to the rear ride height being too high, so I can't really give a fully accurate assessment on the handling characteristics of these.

As for the Swift springs, ride is about the same as stock 17' (I've heard the 17'+ cars ride better than the earlier ones), maybe slightly more compliant, but not by much. I was fine with how my car rode in stock form, so no problem here. The turn in is back to stock or better, the car seems to corner flatter and doesn't really squat on acceleration anymore. I should note that I'm also on Bilstein struts, so that's probably helping the ride quality. Overall I think it's fairly consistent with the other threads here about the swifts & B8 struts. Drop is consistent with what Swift advertises.

I'm happy with the overall setup and wish that I had gone this route in the first place. Here's a few pics as it sits now.

Attachments

Nice review. Seems on par with what I'd expect about the linear vs progressive springs. Like you said though, hard to know how much is attributed to the rear sitting too high. The Bilstein dampers do put another variable though in regards to ride quality.

Today is the 2 week mark that Mountune told me they'd have a resolution by. Already contacted and waiting for a reply. Ready to get this show on the road so i can either get corrected springs from them, or get a refund so I can get a setup on my car that lowers it as advertised...

Nice review. Seems on par with what I'd expect about the linear vs progressive springs. Like you said though, hard to know how much is attributed to the rear sitting too high. The Bilstein dampers do put another variable though in regards to ride quality.

Today is the 2 week mark that Mountune told me they'd have a resolution by. Already contacted and waiting for a reply. Ready to get this show on the road so i can either get corrected springs from them, or get a refund so I can get a setup on my car that lowers it as advertised...
Thanks. TBH, if the rear springs would have worked as advertised, I probably would have left the whole setup as is and adjusted my driving style to the nature of the progressives. It was nice for the crappy roads we have in Connecticut. I actually just bent one of my new wheels on a highway pothole over the weekend[mad]

Maybe the Cobb or actual Eibach springs would be a good alternative, I haven't seen any reports of issues with either of those. I believe [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] is running ST springs and seems to like them.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I didn't come away from the impression the Mountune springs were softer, but rather better matched to the over-damped rear shocks. That took out some of the harshness. For a street car, I prefer a progressive rate spring over linear. Progressive rate springs also help in the winter or on wet pavement where a slightly lower spring rate helps with traction. In those conditions, I am not moving enough weight around the car to get into the stiffer section of the spring. The car has more traction in low grip conditions and better ride quality over the minor undulations and bumps of the road surface. On a racetrack, then I prefer a linear rate.

Thanks. TBH, if the rear springs would have worked as advertised, I probably would have left the whole setup as is and adjusted my driving style to the nature of the progressives. It was nice for the crappy roads we have in Connecticut. I actually just bent one of my new wheels on a highway pothole over the weekend[mad]

Maybe the Cobb or actual Eibach springs would be a good alternative, I haven't seen any reports of issues with either of those. I believe [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] is running ST springs and seems to like them.
I'd have to agree with that. Nothing we can do to correct the height though so they have to go. Mountune finally got back to me today, we'll see if they do in fact send out a shipping label and refund...

Swift springs are on order in the meantime. I'm sure they'll give me the drop I'm after, but hope they don't ride to rough for DD.

Last edited:
I didn't come away from the impression the Mountune springs were softer, but rather better matched to the over-damped rear shocks. That took out some of the harshness. For a street car, I prefer a progressive rate spring over linear. Progressive rate springs also help in the winter or on wet pavement where a slightly lower spring rate helps with traction. In those conditions, I am not moving enough weight around the car to get into the stiffer section of the spring. The car has more traction in low grip conditions and better ride quality over the minor undulations and bumps of the road surface. On a racetrack, then I prefer a linear rate.
By and large, I would tend to agree with you. This why I went with the Mountune springs in the first place. Unfortunate that it's been an ordeal with these things, but it is what it is I suppose.

I have an early 2/16 production fiesta and I was wondering if there is anyway for me to tell if these springs will lower the car properly before I install them.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
...don't mind the grumpy man in the background, just an ornery neighbor...
He's deciding on whether to call the cops on your illegally parked murdered out loud music pump'n non-USDM nameplate gangsta ride LoL... [phonecall]

I have an early 2/16 production fiesta and I was wondering if there is anyway for me to tell if these springs will lower the car properly before I install them.
At this point it's looking like it's the springs themselves based on Drittwurk's findings. So it wouldn't matter which model year you have. I'll be swapping to the Swift springs hopefully this Sunday so if I get the advertised drop (1.1 F/ 1.0 R) then that should confirm.

Just to sort of close the loop for others following this thread...

Mountune insisted that the issue was that something changed for the 16+ FiST that affected the ride height. That said they did offer a refund and a shipping label to send the springs back to them.

Based on Dirttwurk's findings and other research I went with the mindset that it was the Mountune springs that were the issue, and not a change in suspension. I ordered Swift springs and swapped them in while removing the Mountune springs. I am very pleased to report that right off the bat the drop is essentially as advertised by Swift! The front dropped just a touch over an inch from stock, and the rear was right at an inch. So nice to do the work and have the car lowered as I was hoping for in the first place!

In closing, it sounds like Mountune (or a manufacturer for them) made a change to the springs that resulted in not lowering the cars to the original spec. Those springs rode pretty nice I will say. I have no hard feelings against them as they did make it right and send me a return label and will refund me once springs are received, but until they come to an actual conclusion on this I'd just wait it out or look elsewhere.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Hmmm, with Eibach making them for Mountune but specing them slightly more aggressive than their own, I wonder if they had a quality control issue... That said, Eibach Pro and Cobb are identical spec'd it appears, I'm just gonna stick with the Eibach Pro instead of paying Cobb $70 more for their name on the box.

kevinatfms

Hmmm, with Eibach making them for Mountune but specing them slightly more aggressive than their own, I wonder if they had a quality control issue... That said, Eibach Pro and Cobb are identical spec'd it appears, I'm just gonna stick with the Eibach Pro instead of paying Cobb $70 more for their name on the box.

If you plan on auto-x or HPDE events DO NOT get the Eibach springs. The front rate starts so soft and then exponentially increases that it kills the rotation of the car. I tried some insane rear pressures trying to get the rear to whip around and it just wouldnt go.

They are a fine DD spring but are absolutely terrible for any kind of competitive environment. Stick with the stock springs or go with a linear rate(at least up front). I know Swift are linear rate front and rear but others like ST i think mix linear front with a progressive rear(from the look of the spring).

I went with Swift. If they are just as bad as the Eibach ill stick with the stock springs until i drop the dough for a proper set of coilovers.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
If you plan on auto-x or HPDE events DO NOT get the Eibach springs. The front rate starts so soft and then exponentially increases that it kills the rotation of the car. I tried some insane rear pressures trying to get the rear to whip around and it just wouldnt go.

They are a fine DD spring but are absolutely terrible for any kind of competitive environment. Stick with the stock springs or go with a linear rate(at least up front). I know Swift are linear rate front and rear but others like ST i think mix linear front with a progressive rear(from the look of the spring).

I went with Swift. If they are just as bad as the Eibach ill stick with the stock springs until i drop the dough for a proper set of coilovers.
Well, this thread is about a progressive spring, I wouldn't be talking about getting one if that wasn't what I want... Yes, Swift are the best linear, but I have no intentions of tracking the car hence why the progressive rate, which DO help a little with handling over stock, just not as much as a linear like Swift... Have you tried to race specifically with Eibach before?