Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CARB legal intake (or pass visual) for 2014

HBEcoBeaST

Now that I've ordered my wheels I'm eyeing an intake. I want more sounds. Need it to pass a visual inspection.

CARB exempt intakes:
-drop in filter(currently running)
-cobb intake
-st200 box (not CARB but passes visual)
-mishimoto
-k&n 57 series
-aem dry Flo
-mountune induction kit

Am I missing any options? I really like increased intake noise and not too worried about heat soak unless it will hurt performance while moving. I'm not drag racing nor do I need 100% power in stop/go traffic. I care about CARB legal though and that limits my choices.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
I don't believe any of those are officially CARB exempt. They don't have an EO#.
That said, I can think of 3 viable options to pass a visual with no issue.

- Stock
- ST200 intake box
- Drop in filter

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #3
I don't believe any of those are officially CARB exempt. They don't have an EO#.
That said, I can think of 3 viable options to pass a visual with no issue.

- Stock
- ST200 intake box
- Drop in filter
Are you sure? Mishimoto, k&n 57 and aem all advertise as 50 state legal.

I know the st200 isn't but I just want to pass a basic 'pop your hood' test.

Appreciate the input

koozy

3000 Post Club
Are you sure? Mishimoto, k&n 57 and aem all advertise as 50 state legal.

I know the st200 isn't but I just want to pass a basic 'pop your hood' test.

Appreciate the input

you're right and I'm surprised for open elements. I got tagged by CHP for a CP-E and had to go to a state ref with stock intake back on to get cleared.

- Mishimoto CARB EO #: D-759-2
- AEM CARB EO #:D-670-22
- K&N 57 CARB EO# D-269-57

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #7
you're right and I'm surprised for open elements. I got tagged by CHP for a CP-E and had to go to a state ref with stock intake back on to get cleared.

- Mishimoto CARB EO #: D-759-2
- AEM CARB EO #:D-670-22
- K&N 57 CARB EO#D-269-57
I've had to do an inspection too and an intake is literally the first thing they see. Other mods you can at least hide.

I'm pretty sure the whole CARB exempt thing is more of a cash grab to make companies pay for certification rather than emissions output.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Mountune has a CARB EO# D-727-3 for the MP215, but not for their intake system alone. Not sure why they didn't pursue getting one.

cxwrench

Now that I've ordered my wheels I'm eyeing an intake. I want more sounds. Need it to pass a visual inspection.

CARB exempt intakes:
-drop in filter(currently running)
-cobb intake
-st200 box (not CARB but passes visual)
-mishimoto
-k&n 57 series
-aem dry Flo
-mountune induction kit

Am I missing any options? I really like increased intake noise and not too worried about heat soak unless it will hurt performance while moving. I'm not drag racing nor do I need 100% power in stop/go traffic. I care about CARB legal though and that limits my choices.

When do we have to smog our CA '14 cars? Next year when they're 5 years old?

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #10
When do we have to smog our CA '14 cars? Next year when they're 5 years old?
Some of us get inspection tickets. And it helps with an officer that pulls you over for speeding/hooning and they ask if you're 100% legal under the hood and you can easily prove it. Got me out of 2 potentially bad tickets.

cxwrench

Some of us get inspection tickets. And it helps with an officer that pulls you over for speeding/hooning and they ask if you're 100% legal under the hood and you can easily prove it. Got me out of 2 potentially bad tickets.

Ahhhhh, got it. 'Yessir, totally stock.'[hihi]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Mountune has a CARB EO# D-727-3 for the MP215, but not for their intake system alone. Not sure why they didn't pursue getting one.
EO# cost 10k per year. The EO for the MP215 is only for years up to 2016 as Mountune was paying for those years. They decided not to do it any longer as they were no longer selling enough to warrant it.
Plus Ford was dragging their feet for releasing tune codes for the 17 ECU.

So if they want to EO a separate piece they have to pay 10k and CARB requires the fee each year of sale.
I have been around and involved in trying to get stuff legal with CARB in the past.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Seems like people can get around that if E0's are transferable and go with the part when the owner of the part sells. People sell used intakes left and right. So if someone were to get a MP215 today all someone in CA needs to pass smog certification is the EO# from 2014-16?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Seems like people can get around that if E0's are transferable and go with the part when the owner of the part sells. People sell used intakes left and right. So if someone were to get a MP215 today all someone in CA needs to pass smog certification is the EO# from 2014-16?
Oh you could buy a setup like anintake used with the EO and the sticker. It will be fine for 98% of the smog techs out there. Its those last 2%bookworms and referees who might cry foul based on the car being a non EO year. Problem with an MP215 is its a locked down tune. Its married to your ECU only. Not sure if its even transferrable. I would not be surprised if the state forced Mountune to do that.
Now if one bought a car from 2016 second hand with the MP215 installed they are golden when it comes to smogs.
CARB is a wacky organization.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #15
I'm not worried about smog as much as random inspections. I've been asked to pop my hood twice. I could have said no, but I complied and both times got out of a ticket. My one official inspection was pretty intense, they even poked around the turbo. Not sure even a hybrid would have passed that.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Safest bet is to look OE, otherwise make sure you have the appropriate stickers and documents. Even then the cop could site you to take the car into a state ref to prove it and have them approve it. Once you have a document from the state ref you can then use it as proof in the future if you have to pop your hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #17
Safest bet is to look OE, otherwise make sure you have the appropriate stickers and documents. Even then the cop could site you to take the car into a state ref to prove it and have them approve it. Once you have a document from the state ref you can then use it as proof in the future if you have to pop your hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carb stickers are Lifesavers. I ran them on my supercharged tundra and they didn't even look up the numbers. Also being polite to officers always helps

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
so i guess the FMIC is a no go as far as CARB is concerned?
As per appendix G of the 2018 California Smog Check Reference Guide, Intercoolers do not require an EO# on gas engines.

Also from the same appendix G of the 2018 California Smog Check Reference Guide, Air Cleaner / Assembly – 1996 model-year and newer and all years equipped with Thermostatic Air Cleaner, An EO# is required.

So, sense the FiST does not have a Thermostatic Air Cleaner, no EO# is required.

As a retired Smog Test Inspector, I had to read all this stuff.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran

In California, cops are not Smog Check Inspectors.
Therefore, they cannot wright you a ticket for a smog violation.
They can only wright you for suspicion of tampering with smog equipment.
You will then be required to go to a referee or special smog check station to have your car inspected.
This gives you a chance to fix your car.

There is one exception to this.

The CHP sometimes conducts roadside inspections and they are operated by licensed smog inspectors.

Dave