Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

POLE: TOP TIER Gas Station Preference

What is your preferred TOP TIER Gas Station?

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Aloha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amoco

• ARCO

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Beacon

• BP

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Breakaway

• Break Time

• Cenex

• Chevron

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • CITGO

• Conoco

• Costco

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • CountryMark

• Diamond Shamrock

• Esso

• Express Mart

• Exxon

• Fast Fuel

• Fast Stop

• Hele

• Hawaii Fueling Network

• Holiday

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Irving Oil

• Kirkland Signature

• Kwik Star

• Kwik Trip

• Mahalo

• Marathon

• Metro Petro

• MFA

• Mobil

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • OAAI

• Ohana Fuels

• Phillips 66

• QT

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • QuikTrip

• Ranger

• Reeder's

• Shamrock

• Shell

Votes: 39 47.0%
  • Sinclair

• Sunoco

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • SuperAmerica

• SuperFuels

• Tempo

• Texaco

• Tri-Par Qwik Stop

• Valero

• Win Win

• Total voters

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I use BP, that's the main Top Tier gas near me,but the one most convenient to me definitely fits the ghetto station label someone in this thread mentioned. That got me thinking- should I go the non-ghetto BP station a bit farther away?
I assume but don't know that they both get their gas from the same truck, but at the closer ghetto station pumps are often out of order, receipts rarely print, and other general indications of slackness are evident. I also have assumed that the distributor did any pump maintenance, which means a crappier-looking station could still have properly functioning gas pumps.
So my question to my fellow forum members is-
would you travel a bit farther to get BP at a station with gas pumps which appear to be in better shape?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
There are filters underneath the pumps that are supposed to be changed out every so often, and there's also a filter after that in the hose assembly. So does a trashy gas station actually change these filters probably not.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
anticon

anticon

Thread Starter #43
I don't use enough gas to make a few pennies a gallon a big deal. I would rather go to the nicer station and pay a little more for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Go away Satan with your 87 octane.

No one is saying it's going to "harm" your engine not to run Top Tier but it certainly helps with cleaner combustion for less carbon buildup down the road... As far as 87, again, won't "harm" your engine but at the same time why bother buying a turbo car and just put gas in that has the ECU retarding timing to the bare minimum to prevent damage? Even if I didn't care about performance I'd run midgrade for peace of mind with my turbo. Many of us run tunes so anything less than premium will grenade our engines anyway.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
No one is saying it's going to "harm" your engine not to run Top Tier but it certainly helps with cleaner combustion for less carbon buildup down the road... As far as 87, again, won't "harm" your engine but at the same time why bother buying a turbo car and just put gas in that has the ECU retarding timing to the bare minimum to prevent damage? Even if I didn't care about performance I'd run midgrade for peace of mind with my turbo. Many of us run tunes so anything less than premium will grenade our engines anyway.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Absolutely I don't understand why anybody would buy this and not run premium fuel.

Here in Tennessee Kroger gas today was $3.09 a gallon for 93 octane and I've using that for 3 months and the ST runs great on this fuel. COOP

Absolutely I don't understand why anybody would buy this and not run premium fuel.
Because it doesn't make a noticeable difference as my daily commuter or to my ass dyno. Furthermore, if I wanted a faster car...I would have bought a faster car.

Any just because you buy fuel at a Shell station, it doesn't mean that fuel came from a Shell refinery.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Because it doesn't make a noticeable difference as my daily commuter or to my ass dyno. Furthermore, if I wanted a faster car...I would have bought a faster car.

Any just because you buy fuel at a Shell station, it doesn't mean that fuel came from a Shell refinery.
In California almost any gas station will be fine. Fact is with fuel rewards I get Shell for damn near cheaper than other station in the whole LA county region.

As far as running 87 goes the factory recommends 91 so 91is what I run.

Where you notice 87 vs 91 on other cars is usually under heavy load. Then you most likely will get ping. Now on a NA engine thats not good but if only mild you can get away with it.

On a Turbocharged engine its a little more critical IMO. Plus the amount the ecu retards your timing to manage it does actually take away power.

Do what you want but 87 in our cars is really not logical for the car. If your going to run 87 go buy a 160 HP NA Focus. You can run those all day long on 87 and turn in excellent mileage.

Our cars are Performance cars 87 octane is not Performance octane levels.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

You bought a performance car that is designed to run premium fuel. I feel bad for your car. Ford should have a hotline you can call to report such terrible abuse. Your car is going please Daddy this fuel explodes too easy, I need premium so I don't have to cut boost and timing. Somebody help me my Daddy should have bought a Toyota Camry. Somebody get me out of California can you believe they want to stick something up my tailpipe. I just want to run free with 93.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I also use the Fuel Rewards card, and will go out of my way for Shell V-Power, but will use Sunoco, or BP in a pinch (as I'm sure I will have to at some point in my upcoming trip to northern New England).

I remember the Sinclairs as a young kid (MANY moons ago! LOL) as well, and always loved seeing the Bronto logo.
The ONLY one I've ever seen recently is in Hopewell, N.J., on the road to Princeton.
This.

If only the Shell in my town had 93. I run the 93 tune but use Shell 91 because I prefer Shell. We used to have 3 Shells in my town now there is only one.

OP
anticon

anticon

Thread Starter #54
It looks like Shell, Chevron, and Costco are the top three. These are probably the most prevalent or cheapest (COSTCO) top tier gas providers in Oregon, other than ARCO. This must be fairly consistent throughout the US. I haven't done much driving east of the Rockies, but I assumed that there would be different major options on that side.

me32

1000 Post Club
I prefer to run Chevron. I get the best mpg out of it. My 2nd go to is shell, 76 would be my 3rd choice.

Jerickson88

I swear, every station around here has premium on the right. This one had premium on the left and I out of habit pressed the button on the right and ended up with a tank full of 87. I’m ill as a hornet.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I prefer to run Chevron. I get the best mpg out of it. My 2nd go to is shell, 76 would be my 3rd choice.
I have not seen a Chevron station around here (within a 100 mile+ radius) in longer than I can remember, and 76 NEVER existed, save for a few truck stops on the interstates.

me32

1000 Post Club
I swear, every station around here has premium on the right. This one had premium on the left and I out of habit pressed the button on the right and ended up with a tank full of 87. I’m ill as a hornet.
That sucks. If your tuned take it off.

me32

1000 Post Club
I have not seen a Chevron station around here (within a 100 mile+ radius) in longer than I can remember, and 76 NEVER existed, save for a few truck stops on the interstates.
I noticed when i was in Arkansas there werent any Chevrons either. Alot of valaros, shell, kum and go which has E85 at every station and a bio diesel mix. In ca we have chevrons all over. Same with shell, 76 and valaro. Mind you we also have those refineries all in norcal