Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LED Headlights: Which Would You Choose?

LED Headlights: Which Would You Choose?

• Total voters

danbfree

3000 Post Club
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6...&pd_rd_r=bd761d60-b5db-11e8-b96a-75051c3f57a5

has the philips leds you can only 2 types of adjustments but if you put it in and it the leds are facing 9 and 3 oclock it is fine and you dont blind anybody
Thanks for spreading the word and posting these here too! So for those that don't know, these are the Hikari for $90, we have been discussing them our new LED discussion thread... There is no reason to spend any more than this at all, these are awesome quality with very clean cutoff/no glare... LED's have come a LONG ways in just the last couple of years, there are so many good, inexpensive ones now, in fact there are some for $28 on AliExpress that look just about as good as these Hikari, sadly haven't found the exact ones under a difference brand name through US sellers so some of us have ordered them from the slow boat... What's scary is that there are so, so many inexpensive ones now that are actually engineered to replicate the exact halogen filament location for proper light reflection that we can't test them all, we can only guess how good they will be.

ROCKYFiestta

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

cxwrench

for those that refuse to get leds this is one great option that gives nice white light in a factory bulb by phillips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD8OL62/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AF3SA2F2HOVSI&psc=1

they got a video on the item at the bottom of the page gives you a really good idea of what these non led bulbs are like

these are my hikaris
Those headlight bulbs look great! So do the license plate bulbs...what are they? The ones I got are directional so one shines on the plate, the other one highlights the edge of the trunk quite nicely.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Even The Retrofit Source is now carrying and endorsing the new Morimoto 2 stoke 2.0. Most importantly they are narrow enough so that even if a bit long will clear the rear housing opening. So indeed there are some newer designs that don't scatter light everywhere and our anti-glare caps helps as well... But with LED's you need to keep the rear "dust cover" off as LED's will dim with heat unlike halogen, so doesn't matter if you keep temps under the max rated or not. LED bulbs are waterproof and the risk of getting water into the housing a quite small but if you are not comfortable running without rear covers, don't run LED's, you never know when the heat buildup will have them dim excessively and become dangerous. Also, unfortunately with such narrow clearance from the rear housing opening, those pass-through rear covers that allow the LED cooling stalk to be separated from the headlight housing are very difficult to fit and stay on while still leading to excessive heat buildup.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I've been running LEDs with the covers on since August 2017 and haven't had any issues in any of the vehicles so far.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I've been running LEDs with the covers on since August 2017 and haven't had any issues in any of the vehicles so far.
But whether you noticed it or not they were likely a little dimmer and ill effect LED chip life.... I mean, it's great that you haven't had any problems but temperature degrading is something everyone should keep in mind, this graph shows how they can drop off in brightness considerably.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
But whether you noticed it or not they were likely a little dimmer and ill effect LED chip life.... I mean, it's great that you haven't had any problems but temperature degrading is something everyone should keep in mind, this graph shows how they can drop off in brightness considerably.
The reason they don't overheat is, there's plenty of room to dissipate heat inside the housing. One problem with LEDs is they don't get hot enough to keep the snow melted off the lens housings. The Halogen Sylvania Silverstars I had with a prior vehicle weren't nearly as white or as bright, they would fade and would routinely burn out in ten to eighteen months.

Auto manufacturers have been incorporating LEDs into their OEM builds whereas before they wouldn't.
https://www.autobytel.com/car-buyin...-lights-that-outshine-the-competition-130697/

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The reason they don't overheat is, there's plenty of room to dissipate heat inside the housing. One problem with LEDs is they don't get hot enough to keep the snow melted off the lens housings. The Halogen Sylvania Silverstars I had with a prior vehicle weren't nearly as white or as bright, they would fade and would routinely burn out in ten to eighteen months.

Auto manufacturers have been incorporating LEDs into their OEM builds whereas before they wouldn't.
https://www.autobytel.com/car-buyin...-lights-that-outshine-the-competition-130697/
Yeah, those Sylvania bulbs are notorious for burning out fast, but you should see the temps measured by our own members with LED's, they were pushing the manufacturers rated upper limits. Housing was reaching 150 degrees Fahrenheit and the cooling stalk was about 174 degrees, that's definitely warm enough to keep snow melted. :)

I'm happy with my Auxbeams, but I have noticed a very slight and faint flicker sometimes when I'm behind someone at a red light. It seams to be more prevalent when the turn signals are on. For $40 I've learned to live with it.
Really?
I'm looking for a set of led headlight bulbs now and I was also recommended Auxbeam by someone.
But I searched the comments about Auxbeam and it seemed 50% good and 50% bad.
So I still don't know if I should have a try.
And one more thing is: Many posts told me h11 will be the right plug for the fiesta. But the Auxbeam customer service told me h7 led bulb would fit.
Very confused...

KKaWing

Really?
I'm looking for a set of led headlight bulbs now and I was also recommended Auxbeam by someone.
And one more thing is: Many posts told me h11 will be the right plug for the fiesta. But the Auxbeam customer service told me h7 led bulb would fit.
Very confused...
The H7 is used for the projector the rest of the world gets. The H11 is for North American reflector headlights.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Really?
Very confused...
Can't help you on your brand of bulb any more than I have but the last post is exactly right, North American Fiesta uses H11 for low beam in our reflector housing and the Euro version has projector housing that takes H7.

I have these (((HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H11(H8,H9), 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty))) lights and they’re like 90% of the way to the stock halogens in terms of beam pattern. I tried adjusting the beam the full 90* while turned on so I watched the pattern change. The vertical position is the brighter position, (light coming out to the left and right) but made the right headlight brighter towards the inside of the beam pattern. So the right side of the vehicle has about 70% of the brightness of the same area on the left side of the vehicle. Then turning them a full 90* (the light is now coming out in the up/down position) makes the beam exactly how the stock halogens are, but at a cost. The light coming out is significantly dimmer then the last position I’d say 50-60% of total light of the brighter position. Both positions don’t have any light bleeding into the areas above the cut off, the lights fit in the housing with the lids on, there is no ballast(just plug and play), and the light is very white with very little blue. I’d say they’re daylight color. They’re livable if you’re not anal about the tiny details, but if you are and you might wanna find another brand. [emoji2941]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROCKYFiestta

my hikari just burnt out my passenger side the outside bank all went out the rest where light up still. I purchased the 90$ ones installed last june of last year and burnt out in early feb so about half year life. I was going to just buy the one bulb to replace the broken one but at 50$ for just the one bulb I went with a set of the techmax and am very pleased and I still saved dough. [hihi]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
my hikari just burnt out my passenger side the outside bank all went out the rest where light up still. I purchased the 90$ ones installed last june of last year and burnt out in early feb so about half year life. I was going to just buy the one bulb to replace the broken one but at 50$ for just the one bulb I went with a set of the techmax and am very pleased and I still saved dough. [hihi]
Yep, the TechMax works very much just as well as those Hikari overall, they are an amazing buy! Edit: Personally I'd try the Nineo Gen 2 for only $10 more but still the TechMax are a great buy to just replace them both at once with.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have these (((HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H11(H8,H9), 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty))) lights and they’re like 90% of the way to the stock halogens in terms of beam pattern. I tried adjusting the beam the full 90* while turned on so I watched the pattern change. The vertical position is the brighter position, (light coming out to the left and right) but made the right headlight brighter towards the inside of the beam pattern. So the right side of the vehicle has about 70% of the brightness of the same area on the left side of the vehicle. Then turning them a full 90* (the light is now coming out in the up/down position) makes the beam exactly how the stock halogens are, but at a cost. The light coming out is significantly dimmer then the last position I’d say 50-60% of total light of the brighter position. Both positions don’t have any light bleeding into the areas above the cut off, the lights fit in the housing with the lids on, there is no ballast(just plug and play), and the light is very white with very little blue. I’d say they’re daylight color. They’re livable if you’re not anal about the tiny details, but if you are and you might wanna find another brand. [emoji2941]
Thanks for the feedback, it seems having them aligned vertically is the way to go... But looks like those "Hikari Standard" reviewed down in the middle of the LED charts. The TechMax are 700 lumen brighter for the same price if you can still exchange them.

Von

I have been swapping all my old headlights to Philips Xtreme Ultinons. They're really pretty good, and mimic the halogen really well.
I had changed out my street triples H4 OE bulbs for some Sylvania's, and the second ride to work the low beam filament broke on one bulb. I looked to see how much hid retro fit would run and decided I didn't want to spend 600+ on a professional job. Ended up running across these, I believe in a 675 forum, and have been incredibly happy with them. It's kind of reassuring to me too have a brand name on it, figured they would have more to lose reputation wise. Who knows. Anyways, installed some in my wife's Colorado reflectors next, and they really did wonders. Installed some next for my low beams in the ST. After a lot of struggling with it. Thought the glare cap would have to come off because I couldn't quite get it in there. So took that off, still wouldn't fit with the passive heat sink in back. Ended up needing to shave off part of the rubber boot ring to get it to actually go in all the way and lock in. Glare cap fits with it. Rubber boots fit with it as well, just bulges a little where the heat sink is. Accurate spread, good cutoff, but nowhere near as clean as projectors. I think I will end up spending the cash to retrofit hid projectors on this car and move these down to the fog lights, but this works well in the interim

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk