Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Chattering and winding noises

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
So a few days ago I noticed a weird winding noise almost as if the car was supercharged. Thought it could be the timing belt but happens when in gear (1-6) and accelerating. No noise free revving the car, sound goes away as soon as I let off the throttle or push the clutch in. I also get clutch chatter when idling, pushing the clutch in the chatter goes away. Car accelerates fine, goes into gears smoothly and is not slipping. Any ideas?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I have a dual-mass flywheel that chatters with the clutch pedal out. It also has a loud clack as you load the trans from releasing the clutch pedal. Told the dealer about it (for a second time); they replaced the axle shafts which had no impact of course.

Do you have the 2.1L of fluid in the trans to meet the 1" below fill hole specification? There hasn't been any reported failures, but some have noted a whine noise from the transmission. All of them had changed something or other to increase HP beyond stock.

OP
E

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #3
I’ll check the fluid but I did replace it with Motul DCTF about 25k ago, I was going to replace it soon with the same fluid. There has been no signs of leaks on my driveway and I just rrplaced the engine oil and it was pretty clean under the engine/tranny.

In any case, it sounds like you've got a bearing that is on its way out
Throw out bearing? Which bearing should I be looking st?

OP
E

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #4
So I checked under the car no visible leaks, no residual fluid anywhere, seals were good. I drained the fluid and refilled it, measured fluid was around 1.5 manual says 1.6. Started the car, checked under there and the noise is coming from the transmission housing. The fluid was pretty dark with metal dust.
It could be. Has your clutch pedal feel changed since this issue began? That would be an indicator of a bad throwout bearing. If not, it could be another bearing in the transmission. Either way, start with the most simple/cheapest solutions and work up from there. Inspect the axle seals and fluid level first. Leaking/weeping axle seals will not necessarily leave stains under the car, as it may be a very slow leak and/or leak when the car moving instead of parked. A visual inspection will let you know for sure.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I checked under the car no visible leaks, no residual fluid anywhere, seals were good. I drained the fluid and refilled it, measured fluid was around 1.5 manual says 1.6. Started the car, checked under there and the noise is coming from the transmission housing. The fluid was pretty dark with metal dust.
What's the mileage of your vehicle? You may still be under powertrain warranty...Unless your out by mileage....[nono]

OP
E

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #6
The manual states 1.6l dry fill, I have a 2016. I’m at 52k so I believe I’m good to go on the warranty side, and will take in tomorrow.

So I just looked into it and many have said they’ve filled the tranny with 2l fml.

OP
E

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #7
I actually did swap out to Motul DCTF around 10k but I only used 1.6l. This time I’ll go ahead and fill up with 2l.

So I took the car in last Wednesday, Friday i was told that there was some internal failure but they wouldn’t be able to tear into the transmission until Mon/Tue and if I hadn’t modified anything it most likely would be warranty. Just got a call telling me that a new transmission is being ordered all covered under warranty. I’ll ask what they found when I walk in to pick up a loaner.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The manual states 1.6l dry fill, I have a 2016. I’m at 52k so I believe I’m good to go on the warranty side, and will take in tomorrow.

So I just looked into it and many have said they’ve filled the tranny with 2l fml.
I originally posted about the discrepancy in this thread...

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/10447-Transmission-fluid-change?p=307726&viewfull=1#post307726
<<An error was made. My 2016 came with ~1.6L in it. All documentation on the B6 transmission says 1.67L.

But the manual refill instructions state to refill to 1" below the fill hole.

1" below the fill hole is 2.1~2.3L.

The B5 transmission (we have B6) fill capacity is listed at... guess what... 2.1~2.3L per manual. ..........>>

The additional fluid can impact the clickity-clackity shifting noises.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
And people still don't believe me when i say Motul cost me my trans. I am finally going to post my thread with videos