Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A group 48 Battery? Oh yes it can be done!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
As stated I installed a Group 48 AGM battery I got from Autozone over the Group 96 that came from OE. It was a very....very Tight fit with some adjustments made it will fit into the Tray. I think it would be easier with an open Style CAI also as I used my ST200 Airbox. Just thought I'd put it out there that it can be done....to those of you who said it couldn't....EAD.

Last edited:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Yes. But - why? What's the difference between the two groups other than the size?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Yes. But - why? What's the difference between the two groups other than the size?

I'm in Minnsnowta....cold weather..Good CCA...Its AGM and it was gotten for around $25 w/tx as they were Clearancing them out at Vatozone....where are AGM style batteries under even $150? No where....plus I also got to keep my OEM battery and try to bring it back after being in the Black eye area for some time.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
So - you just happened upon a cheap AGM and it was only available in that size? That's the motivation?

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
So - you just happened upon a cheap AGM and it was only available in that size? That's the motivation?

It was the closest in size to the Stocker and it's a decent battery for a great price. Plus its coming up on 4 years for me....so I'm staying ahead of the curve....if ya get me !

Last edited:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I am going to ask one more - just to see what GIF you're gonna use... (do you have a library of these handy, I guess?)

I hear you about a good battery for a great price - especially if you want to replace the old one. But - there are multiple threads on the light-weight Odyssey or XS Power, you know, what with the hp/lb... You went in a different direction, clearly.
tenor.jpg

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
I am going to ask one more - just to see what GIF you're gonna use... (do you have a library of these handy, I guess?)

I hear you about a good battery for a great price - especially if you want to replace the old one. But - there are multiple threads on the light-weight Odyssey or XS Power, you know, what with the hp/lb... You went in a different direction, clearly.
View attachment 20337
Yeah I've had all those batteries at one point in time in other vehicles I own and have a hard time now coughing up $200 dollars for something that's quality has gone down as I've noticed due to being produced in other countries now....cough....cough.... like Optima. the only company I would maybe go with is a Deka battery next maybe...I Chose my Gifs wisely like Indy and the Cup of the covenant!

Last edited:
I know I'd rather go with the one OP posted than one of those lightweight batteries, between the price and wanting to have a battery be reliable/last here in Florida and not worry about whether my car is going to start, and also be able to have extended time with it on but not running. Not sure why all the negative in this thread over what OP did, I'm glad to know I can get a cheaper AGM and throw it in when my battery dies, which again thanks to Florida should be any day now...

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
The main reason I did this was that it's coming up on 4yrs....its an AGM series battery and there aren't hardly any 96 series batteries out there in a performance variant. If anyone wants to go this route contact me and I'll share how it was done....it took some minor adjustments. Thanks Nick!

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I know I'd rather go with the one OP posted than one of those lightweight batteries, between the price and wanting to have a battery be reliable/last here in Florida and not worry about whether my car is going to start, and also be able to have extended time with it on but not running. Not sure why all the negative in this thread over what OP did, I'm glad to know I can get a cheaper AGM and throw it in when my battery dies, which again thanks to Florida should be any day now...
YES, heat does kill batteries quicker than the cold does, but we in the colder climes really DO need those full, factory level (or above) CCAs, reserve capacity (especially if one listens to the radio with the car off!), and Ah ratings, which the light weight, much smaller, AGMs do NOT provide.
The ONLY way to get full power/factory specs (or close to it) AND very light weight, currently, is with one of the small, under 10Lb. LITHIUM batteries out there now, but these co$t 3-4 times as much as the Odysseys do, BEFORE you even buy the requisite, bespoke charger for them. [:(] [[crazyeye]

I will try to extend the life of the factory Motorcraft flooded lead acid deal out until the release date of the Odyssey 96R (hopefully SOON!), which will be the ONLY real 96R sized AGM on the market (believe it or not, given just how many cars use that size).

At this point, I do not even care IF it is 10 lbs.+ heavier than the factory battery (but I am hoping it is NOT!), since I do not want to deal with a flooded lead acid battery going forward. ;)

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
I will agree that cold is hard on batteries but Heat....like Anything Over 100Ā° for prolonged periods of time is way more hurtful. Which it sometimes gets here In Mn. In the cold you can insulate a battery but in the heat it's hard to keep it cool. I've watched the odyssey 96R being talked about but still nothing. So I got proactive and went a different route. What's another 10lbs? Another meal at the local Cracker barrel on Friday night I tell ya!

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I have a feeling this wouldnt work with my CPE intake. I might have to go lightweight with a blanket on it over winter

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #13
It depends on how much space is left after the CP=E box is installed and the battery itself. It may be possible id have to see pictures of the CP=E and current battery setup to see if it would work.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #15
A real man would of done it in the dark! HAHAHA Kidding....Just Pm me or start side conversation with me....when you do !

Last edited:
The main reason I did this was that it's coming up on 4yrs....its an AGM series battery and there aren't hardly any 96 series batteries out there in a performance variant. If anyone wants to go this route contact me and I'll share how it was done....it took some minor adjustments. Thanks Nick!
Can you post what steps you took to make the Group 48 battery fit?

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #18
What air box do you have? Stock? Aftermarket? This makes a big difference in fitment. You may need a Dremel also to sand/cut down the front bottom portion of the battery tray. The battery is a tight fit but its fits like a glove with an ST200 Box which is almost exactly the same as the stock box just with a Fresh air hose that comes out the bottom.

What air box do you have? Stock? Aftermarket? This makes a big difference in fitment. You may need a Dremel also to sand/cut down the front bottom portion of the battery tray. The battery is a tight fit but its fits like a glove with an ST200 Box which is almost exactly the same as the stock box just with a Fresh air hose that comes out the bottom.

Just seen this. I do have a stock box. This should work nicely as my battery is starting to get weak.

I finally got around to this but ended up using a group 47, which is a bit taller than the 96R.
Went to the local interstate and the 48 was longer than the 47, both were about the same height and around the same price.
There was another thread where someone had said they replaced the terminal, i didnt have to. I did however, remove the airbox and separated the main battery harness, which allowed just enough room for it to fit over the group 47 battery.
My 96R lasted around 4yr/70k mi