Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swift Spec-R Springs w/ Koni Orange and Powerflex Spring Pad Isolator Brief Review

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Nothing worse than somebody who can't even do the darn speed limit.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Story of my life especially when I'm tryin to do at least a hundo data logging! But I too will also when I install my orange Koni's and spec R springs with the Purple mount dealies from Ronny @ whoosh! [party]

Mikey456

Hello guys,

Just wanted to give a brief review of running the Swift Spec-R Springs w/ Koni Oranges. I haven't seen many reviews on here yet. A lot of people I know are running Swift with Bilstein B8's or Koni Yellows. I ordered the entire set from Ron's Whoosh Motorsports on Black Friday and got an incredible deal. Just got the springs, shocks, and pads on today and the ride is phenomenal! I am currently running on Konig Dekagram 16x8 with Continental EC Sport 205/45r16. The wheel and tire combo alone got rid of most of the jarring ride quality, but the springs and shocks SEALED the deal.

I was worried that the linear springs would be extremely harsh due to numerous posts that I have read, but I have absolutely no complaints. It's probably due to my shock set up. There was someone on the forum that noted that the ride was harsh on Swift Springs with Bilstein B8's and 15inch Team Dynamics. I find it hard to believe, but to each his own. The springs were designed for stock valving so I wanted to keep the set up close to what it was intended for which is why I decided to go for the Koni Oranges. Not to mention the Konis are cheap cheap! Go check out Whoosh if you are thinking of getting a pair. The ride DOES feel a LITTLE floaty, but she feels as if you are gliding across the road and the bumps are almost nonexistent. The turn response is fantastic. I have a Pierce 6 point brace, trunk brace, and rear torsion bar to go with the springs and shocks. I am not currently running any sway bars except stock front sway. I hear the 2016+ have slightly thicker sway bars (?) I plan on adding the midship brace and strut brace once I finish my hybrid turbo set up (x47r/vt330r/ or Whoosh Hybrid coming soon). I've only put about 30miles highway driving so far, but I will update if anything else comes up noticeable. Overall, I love the set-up and I feel like this is how a daily should drive. I used to cringe every single time I'd hit a bump on my stock set-up with stock 17" wheels. [like]

Will post pics whenever available.

Mike
Thanks for the review. I have a set of swift springs and stock shocks (and wheels) and the ride is a little stiff and bouncy. I imagine the koni orange shock are softer than stock. Does this increase the leaning in the turns and brake dive much over stock?

Thanks,

Mike

OP
mikenblue
Thread Starter #23
Thanks for the review. I have a set of swift springs and stock shocks (and wheels) and the ride is a little stiff and bouncy. I imagine the koni orange shock are softer than stock. Does this increase the leaning in the turns and brake dive much over stock?

Thanks,

Mike
I don't really notice per say "lean in" or break dive, but it feels as if the rear end comes around quicker if you know what I mean?

Mike

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club

Thanks,

Mike
Koni orange should work fine with swift and other linear stiff springs. They get really soft and floaty when mixed with the softer progressive springs.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Mikey456

Koni orange should work fine with swift and other linear stiff springs. They get really soft and floaty when mixed with the softer progressive springs.

Yes, I get concerned when I hear the descriptions of floaty and soft to describe suspension. Hopefully, there is a happy medium choice out there, but its entirely subjective and depends on the person. All that I know is that the stock shocks w/Swifts are bouncy/stiff side and eventually need to be replaced with something else.

neeqness

1000 Post Club

Yes, I get concerned when I hear the descriptions of floaty and soft to describe suspension. Hopefully, there is a happy medium choice out there, but its entirely subjective and depends on the person. All that I know is that the stock shocks w/Swifts are bouncy/stiff side and eventually need to be replaced with something else.
Don't worry. I'm using the Koni orange now on stock springs and they are a definite improvement over the oem spring & shock combination. If I were still considering lowering my car I would do this setup in a heartbeat but unfortunately lowering my car just isn't practical for what I do and where I go with it.

Mikey456

Don't worry. I'm using the Koni orange now on stock springs and they are a definite improvement over the oem spring & shock combination. If I were still considering lowering my car I would do this setup in a heartbeat but unfortunately lowering my car just isn't practical for what I do and where I go with it.

Yes, it seems that the OEM shocks cannot keep up very well with firmer springs. The rebound is a little too quick. Will definitely keep the orange Konis is mind as an option when upgrading.

Thanks,

Mike

thoughts on pairing koni orange fronts with yellow rears? I just installed yellows on the rear and would like to not spend 400+ on yellows for the front. my front shocks are oe and definitely worn, but the car feels ok....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
thoughts on pairing koni orange fronts with yellow rears? I just installed yellows on the rear and would like to not spend 400+ on yellows for the front. my front shocks are oe and definitely worn, but the car feels ok....

Well, if you must mix them, you could always adjust the rears until you find the balance that works best for you. Should improve the ride overall.

green_henry

1000 Post Club

Konis go on sale every spring, so if you can wait a few months, you should be able to get them for under $400. Last year, I think I got mine for $189 each, free shipping, and then a ~$50 rebate.

neeqness

1000 Post Club

Since your stock shocks are worn, you might also want to replace other parts of the suspension too that are prone to wear (I.e. bushings, stops, etc.) when you replace your shocks.

yep all good points. I have powerflex and whiteline bushings in the lca's, new tie rods, and powerflex sway bar bushings. definitely dialed out some slop. shocks and springs with a better alignment and some more bracing should help too!

sorry. just realized you're referring to bushings/mounts for the shock assembly. reused the old mounts from the rear cause I believe it's only sold with new oe rear shocks....

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Since your stock shocks are worn, you might also want to replace other parts of the suspension too that are prone to wear (I.e. bushings, stops, etc.) when you replace your shocks.

Oh yes this will be done......Before i take them all out. I replace All boots.....bump stops.....strut mounts etc. All with OEM parts also.....Id suggest replacing everything on the new struts before install as it will be a Easy R&R no dinging around. Then get an Alignment....I refuse to bring my vehicle to the Places that have the Machine/laser Shit.....I have an old thyme guy who gets the specs and does it by measuring and can cater to what your looking for and he has improved the handling of just about every vehicle he has touched of mine.[party]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yes, it seems that the OEM shocks cannot keep up very well with firmer springs. The rebound is a little too quick. Will definitely keep the orange Konis is mind as an option when upgrading.

Thanks,

Mike
I should mention that the suspension has a bit looser feel than oem so you do lose a bit of that quick response in the handling, but it is still sporty though. For me, on these rough urban roads, the improved ride was worth it.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Oh yes this will be done......Before i take them all out. I replace All boots.....bump stops.....strut mounts etc. All with OEM parts also.....Id suggest replacing everything on the new struts before install as it will be a Easy R&R no dinging around. Then get an Alignment....I refuse to bring my vehicle to the Places that have the Machine/laser Shit.....I have an old thyme guy who gets the specs and does it by measuring and can cater to what your looking for and he has improved the handling of just about every vehicle he has touched of mine.[party]
Agreed [emoji817].

Although unfortunately good old-time guys with that kind of know-how are becoming increasingly harder to find. I did manage to find a couple shops though that are fairly good with "the machines" so I settled. They may not be as good as the old-time guys but at least they keep my car running straight and true.

Oh and the unlimited future alignment and balancing plan might have swayed me some too, lol.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Agreed [emoji817].

Although unfortunately good old-time guys with that kind of know-how are becoming increasingly harder to find. I did manage to find a couple shops though that are fairly good with "the machines" so I settled. They may not be as good as the old-time guys but at least they keep my car running straight and true.

Oh and the unlimited future alignment and balancing plan might have swayed me some too, lol.

Its sad.... it really is. That these types of practices or specialty trades are disappearing forever. I do believe the guy I go too is passing it on to a younger guy and is planning on a smaller roll but being around still when he passes the torch! [driving]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So if progressive springs like Eibach are too soft with the Koni Orange, what is a good step up? Koni yellow or Bilstein B8? I obviously like the pricing on the B8 better and I'm not going to tracking much but I want to have the right suspension setup instead of trying to dial in ride compliance with too much tire sidewall.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
So if progressive springs like Eibach are too soft with the Koni Orange, what is a good step up? Koni yellow or Bilstein B8? I obviously like the pricing on the B8 better and I'm not going to tracking much but I want to have the right suspension setup instead of trying to dial in ride compliance with too much tire sidewall.
I haven't used the B8s yet, but from everything I've seen and heard so far, they are pretty stiff in comparison to the Koni Orange.

I think it depends first mainly on the roads you frequent and your comfort level. There are a few people here who like it on the stiff side...

If your roads are kinda bad and you are looking to soften the ride up some, I'd recommend the Koni Orange or B8 with a stiff lowering spring like the swift or even the oem will work if you don't mind the stock height.

If your roads are fairly well maintained then the Eibach, Mountune or some other progressive spring should work fine with the oem shocks, B6, B8, or Koni yellow (adjusted on the tight side), etc.

Are you asking because you already purchased the Eibachs?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I haven't used the B8s yet, but from everything I've seen and heard so far, they are pretty stiff in comparison to the Koni Orange.

I think it depends first mainly on the roads you frequent and your comfort level. There are a few people here who like it on the stiff side...

If your roads are kinda bad and you are looking to soften the ride up some, I'd recommend the Koni Orange or B8 with a stiff lowering spring like the swift or even the oem will work if you don't mind the stock height.

If your roads are fairly well maintained then the Eibach, Mountune or some other progressive spring should work fine with the oem shocks, B6, B8, or Koni yellow (adjusted on the tight side), etc.

Are you asking because you already purchased the Eibachs?
Actually, I'm pretty sure the progressive rate is to soak up bumps, that's why I'm strongly leaning to Eibach with progressive rate and modest drop. Having the bit softer '17, was hoping the Eibach would be best for me.