Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2015 Mustang shift knob in Fiesta ST?

OP
StayPuft
Thread Starter #21
Hey that looks good! Even if there are few millimeters of collar (popped collar?) showing I'm going to pick one up. I've never even looked at any car I've owned from a downunder angle.

So it will not screw down past that gap on the reverse lock-out collar?
Installed it this morning.
Issues:
First, the one I ordered (made in Germany) would not go on past three plus turns without the strength of (insert Greek god here).
Second, swapped out another (from Mustang). Went on okay but the reverse lockout does not work past five or six turns. The Mustang shifter does not have an external spring for the reverse lockout whereas the ST does.

That said, the feel is great and the shifting was nice (with the ball). I am definitely keeping this setup but will look to close the gap in some fashion and investigate the spring lockout relationship more thoroughly.

RMG

Crap, my OCD would not permit me to have the gap. Thanks for the input!

Crap, my OCD would not permit me to have the gap. Thanks for the input!
I am working on various solutions: O rings, flexible plumbing/electrical seals, etc. Currently I have a fashioned a piece of loop side (black) industrial Velcro (with adhesive on the back) that sticks to the reverse lockout movable collar. It fits neatly between the shift knob and the collar when you lift up on the latter. Temporary solution, perhaps.

RMG

I wonder if the Mustangs reverse lockout collar (it DOES have one, right?) will swap over to the fiesta shifter without any issues?

I wonder if the Mustangs reverse lockout collar (it DOES have one, right?) will swap over to the fiesta shifter without any issues?
The shifter ball setup on the Mustang is different. I must say though that the round knob (this one or any other) shifting experience is much better than with the standard Ford issue knob.

Installed it this morning.
Issues:
First, the one I ordered (made in Germany) would not go on past three plus turns without the strength of (insert Greek god here).
Second, swapped out another (from Mustang). Went on okay but the reverse lockout does not work past five or six turns. The Mustang shifter does not have an external spring for the reverse lockout whereas the ST does.

That said, the feel is great and the shifting was nice (with the ball). I am definitely keeping this setup but will look to close the gap in some fashion and investigate the spring lockout relationship more thoroughly.
Did you have to put a jam nut or something on? I just got mine from an eBay takeoff, and it wont hit a good tight point before the reverse lockout isn't usable.

Did you have to put a jam nut or something on? I just got mine from an eBay takeoff, and it wont hit a good tight point before the reverse lockout isn't usable.
I agree that a good tight point defeats the reverse lockout. So what I did was wrap the reverse lockout movable collar with loop-sided, adhesive-backed Velcro. It allowed me to get a tighter fit with one less revolution and allow the reverse lockout to function as normal.

Hrm... Do you have any pictures/images of the velcro/how you added it?

I ended up stuffing some rubber grommets and nylon washers inside so that they compress when tightened. The gap becomes quite large if you do it this way, but the knob is on pretty tight at least... We'll see if it's something I want to keep. It definitely feels better than the stock one imo.

You can also use some blue Loctite on the threads. Screw the knob down where you want it and let it sit overnight. The Loctite will hold the knob solidly but still allow you to remove it if you want.

Probably going to trim down the metal so the reverse lockout will fit. Saw a FoST user do the same and figured it would be a cleaner look. Just time consuming

I placed a small piece of paper (napkin) over the stud and then screwed the mustang knob over it. I used just a little piece so it doesn't stick out. Sure it doesn't sound very stable but you'd be surprised. I've been running it for close to 10k miles now with no issues. If it's not tight enough you can always put more paper.

Exactly what watchman said is what I've done in the past to get a knob to line up right where I want it. Much cleaner and obviously easier than putting a nut on there.

DP03

I put the GT350 knob on today, and wow, is that a nice piece!! Used a locknut and bam, its perfect with the lockout function not affected.

Did the Dremel cutting a while back with and end mill sort of cutting bit. Fits just right. Just need to be careful that you don't overdo it. Covering the inside with masking tape helps. No random misc parts

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk