Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Feeling defeated exhaust install

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #22
Hahaha that's an epic idea. I have more tools than I'll ever need to do just about anything. I see my main problem was supporting the exhaust during installation. All my jack stands were holding up the car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm tempted to do my next "major" install in the Sears or Harbor Freight parking lot, so I can buy any tools I need for the install-in-progress while the car is in pieces.
[histerical]

But, it's actually NOT a bad idea as long as the mall/store security leaves you alone! [thumb]

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #25
When doing my exhaust both of the studs on the downpipe broke. I was so pissed that I just got up, went in the house and drank Coronas till I felt better.
Hahaha dang man. I knew when the first nut wouldn't come off I should have given up. The second one zipped right off and it gave me hope to keep trying.

So I took my wife for a drive and she actually really liked it, luckily. I just got home from a 45 minute back road and highway blast. Way more drone than I was hoping for right between 2500-3500 ish give or take. At super slow shifts it's barely noticeable and cruising is quiet as stock almost. If you need to give it the go pedal damn it gets loud until you get over 3500. I'm a little unsure what to do. I'll give it a few hundred miles and see how it "breaks" in or if my ears get used to it. If not I may have to look at other options.

I almost went with the thermal r&d system but I like big tips and I can not lie. I will not go back to stock though, I need some sound.

I have the stainless MBRP system. It doesn't really drone and inside the car you don't hear it most of the time. However it is rather loud outside the car. I love it. Lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hahaha dang man. I knew when the first nut wouldn't come off I should have given up. The second one zipped right off and it gave me hope to keep trying.

So I took my wife for a drive and she actually really liked it, luckily. I just got home from a 45 minute back road and highway blast. Way more drone than I was hoping for right between 2500-3500 ish give or take. At super slow shifts it's barely noticeable and cruising is quiet as stock almost. If you need to give it the go pedal damn it gets loud until you get over 3500. I'm a little unsure what to do. I'll give it a few hundred miles and see how it "breaks" in or if my ears get used to it. If not I may have to look at other options.

I almost went with the thermal r&d system but I like big tips and I can not lie. I will not go back to stock though, I need some sound.
The Thermal IS a little quieter than the Nexus, and has less to no drone, at least according to those who have dealt with both of these systems (like Ron [MENTION=337]whoosh[/MENTION]).
IF I knew about it when I bought my Nexus system, I might have gone for it instead, and just put a big single 4" turn down on the end instead of the smaller standard twin tip outlet. ;)

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #28
I had a box of dynamat I forgot about chilling in the basement. I threw a couple sheets in under the spare. I wasn't expecting much but it seems to have made a small improvement. I have also been looking at weathertech window visors and trunk liner, think I'll grab those online today and see if the liner helps with keeping the noise down. I did at least enjoy the drive a lot more today than yesterday. It's growing on me.

My wife was basically calling me out, saying she can't believe I don't like it. I haven't heard it from the outside yet cause she can't drive it.

Odd that you have drone. When I put my cp-e catback on, it had no drone at all. In comparison to a MBRP fiesta I rode in, which had a decent amount of drone. Now I have the cp-e downpipe and res delete so its basically a straight pipe with just the helmholtz resonator. Still has very little drone. Matched with the crackle map, the gunshots tend to break necks.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #30
I bet that sounds insane!

Only thing I can think it could be is I am using the discontinued Mountune hangers. They are a smidge shorter than stock, I didn't know that at the time. I drove through a construction zone and up onto a fresh paved road, about a 2 inch lip and a heard a slight clang in the back. I have not been able to get it to clang anywhere else. I even hit some railroad tracks today at about 60mph and nothing.

I'm wondering if the mountune hangers are allowing some slight contact somewhere and it's resonating into the cabin.

I think I am going to order Cobb hangers and put the stock marshmallow on the front by the dp.

I went with Mountune because they aren't overkill, better than stock but still a little give.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm running the Cobb hangers everywhere on my resonated Nexus, and have NO problems with any unibody/subframe/etc. contact, buzzing, noise or clanging/banging, AT ALL.

They might transfer a little more vibration into the cabin, but with the cp-e RMM it is hard to tell, or distinguish the difference.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #32
Thank you for that info. I think I'll order the set of 3 since that's what cobb offers.

I'm running the Cobb hangers everywhere on my resonated Nexus, and have NO problems with any unibody/subframe/etc. contact, buzzing, noise or clanging/banging, AT ALL.

They might transfer a little more vibration into the cabin, but with the cp-e RMM it is hard to tell, or distinguish the difference.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #33
Put one of the stock red hangers in the front where the mushy blue one was and cobb hangers for the back three.

No more rattles or clanging!

Drone is reduced considerably, still there but not like it was. Once you get on the gas it goes away. Also whole cruising it's basically nonexistent.

I'll know more, how tolerable it is, when I take the highway to work Wednesday. It was pretty brutal before, I am optimistic though.

DangerMouse, I have the same issue as you with the CPE where it is very boomy when you first get on it, seems like its when the turbo is first spooling. I'm used to it now, the only time it's annoying is on the highway uphills, which unfortunately I run into a decent amount in my area. It sounds so good at all other times though so I figure it's worth the minor annoyance!

I'd love to try the Thermal exhaust, but I have a few more mods to do before fitting another exhaust haha

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #36
The boomy resonance right at 2500 is going to drive me mad.

I'm used to really driving spirited even just around town. Now I'm cautious all of the time with my shifts. It sounds so good at all other times but I have lost a little of the fun to be honest.

My last performance car was a mazdaspeed 3 with cnt catless downpipe and hks exhaust. No drone or boomy-ness but loud as hell when you got on it. It was perfect.

The boomy resonance right at 2500 is going to drive me mad.

I'm used to really driving spirited even just around town. Now I'm cautious all of the time with my shifts. It sounds so good at all other times but I have lost a little of the fun to be honest.

My last performance car was a mazdaspeed 3 with cnt catless downpipe and hks exhaust. No drone or boomy-ness but loud as hell when you got on it. It was perfect.
That's too bad to hear. At first it bugged me but like I said, I kinda got used to it. I still think I have a leak somewhere that it making it worse, I do only have 2 of the 3 bolts from my downpipe to turbo connection in cause I broke one...whoops.

I wonder if my stiffer CPE motor mount is contributing to the noise as well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I bet that sounds insane!

Only thing I can think it could be is I am using the discontinued Mountune hangers. They are a smidge shorter than stock, I didn't know that at the time. I drove through a construction zone and up onto a fresh paved road, about a 2 inch lip and a heard a slight clang in the back. I have not been able to get it to clang anywhere else. I even hit some railroad tracks today at about 60mph and nothing.

I'm wondering if the mountune hangers are allowing some slight contact somewhere and it's resonating into the cabin.

I think I am going to order Cobb hangers and put the stock marshmallow on the front by the dp.

I went with Mountune because they aren't overkill, better than stock but still a little give.
Im currently using the Cobb hangars and I've had some exhaust rattling with the cp-e. I am going to switch one of the stock rear hangars and switch it with the jelly hangar right by the downpipe.

Also I'm struggling to understand the boomy resonance you guys are talking about. Even with my cp-e with the res delete pipe, I don't have any drone really or anything. I guess everyone handles drone differently. The only time its slightly annoying is around 3100 RPM on the highway going uphill.

I'm really greatful for this thread. I had been leaning towards the cp-e exhaust but now, not so much. I think that there is little hp to be gained with a cat-back system over stock, and perhaps a bit more torque, but that the real gain is in the sound department. It makes me pause when people post about droning or boominess or issues with fitment. For me the answer might just be the AP with a Stratified e30 tune, and a FMIC if I see consistently raised intake temps over ambient here in the Midwest with the kind of driving I do most of the time. I know my 2017 FiST will not sound nearly as good as it can from the outside, but on the inside I can leave the symposer hooked up and fool myself into thinking the car is sounding great. [screwy]

Also I'm struggling to understand the boomy resonance you guys are talking about. Even with my cp-e with the res delete pipe, I don't have any drone really or anything. I guess everyone handles drone differently. The only time its slightly annoying is around 3100 RPM on the highway going uphill.
It's like right when I put my foot down there is a an extremely loud resonance noise and the whole car pretty much vibrates...it honestly baffles me on what specifically is causing it, maybe my hangers are too stiff? I think I have the Cobb ones. The noise goes away after a second or two but it's real and it's loud haha. A combo of the hangers and my RMM maybe?

I know not everyone has this issue with the CPE, and my Helmholtz resonator seemed to be tilted downward more than pictures I've seen online, so maybe my exhaust is a bit faulty. Whatever it is it's livable, but I'll be honest, I expected to not deal with this when I got this exhaust, especially for what it costs. The quality wasn't as good as expected either, some welds were sorta poor and there were metal welding sticks poking out of welds in some places...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk