Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fog lights suck.

I noticed the other day that my passenger side fog light has a busted lens. This is the second time I have replaced that same fog light and they are not cheap to replace. I rarely use them. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have ever turned them on. Anybody have any ideas on what to do with that area if i just remove the light(s)?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I noticed the other day that my passenger side fog light has a busted lens. This is the second time I have replaced that same fog light and they are not cheap to replace. I rarely use them. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have ever turned them on. Anybody have any ideas on what to do with that area if i just remove the light(s)?
Why not put laminex film over them? If you haven't tried that I'd go that route before I deleted them from my light arsenal!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #3
Why not put laminex film over them? If you haven't tried that I'd go that route before I deleted them from my light arsenal!
I did. LOL. All it did was keep the shards all together. Makes for an easy clean up.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't use the fogs much, either, but they're great when there's fog. The only other thing I'd put there would be driving lights. Then, you run into the same problem.

They're just there, in front of the wheels. They need better protection.

Diode Dynamics fog lights are hard plastic.. literally just installed mine today. Mine busted a couple weeks ago lol

I had the same issue. Its funny but you can take the caps from paint spray paint cans and they fit the holes almost perfectly (after the glass brakes out) . Just wrap a few layers of tape around the out side of them. If you use black Caps they look almost like stock covers.

I ended up buying the expensive LED fog lights from Diode dynamics but I would not recommend them. They put out whiter light but they do not do anything for driving and in the real world do not help with seeing at night. The lenses are plastic however so the shattering problem goes away. I have had mine on for over a year and they are still intact however badly pitted (I think they use inexpensive plastic).

As an alternative you can also make the one on the driver side feed air into the bottom of your air box. Not sure if it adds HP but some folks have done this. Cooler air is never a bad thing for a motor.

Last edited:
OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #9
I do a pretty hefty commute of 60 miles each way and it is pretty much all highway, but I go through about 2 construction zones. I believe the culprit are those freaking gravel hauling trucks or a construction vehicle that went off-roading in a boulder field.

I thought about ducting of some sort. I do have the mountue air-box, but the lower tube is only long enough for the driver side. I would need a velocity stack of some sort, but it would work. Brake ducts are a little more work than I am willing to go through for someone who doesn't experience brake fade.

I like the cover idea. It would be nice if there were some sort of removable shield that one could remove when needed, but safely tuck away the light when not in use.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I changed mine to Diode Dynamics with Laminex.
I also have them wired as DRLs so they are on all the time.
I have never had any issues since the conversion.

Dave

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Plastic would look horrible after a short time. Glass better resists the slow sand-blasting that occurs over time. Roads everywhere have these tiny sand-like rocks. Unfortunately, though glass can be made thicker it may still crack when subjected to 50+MPH rocks spinning at thousands of RPM. You can log complaints to your state's the Dept of Transportation. They will run the street sweepers more often and follow-up with the property/project manager. The truckers don't want insurance claims and *can* do more to secure their loads, by reducing the amount that they haul and/or securing tarps over their beds. (which I've seen) Construction projects are temporary and it's not like everyone has this problem.

Beyond that, I've seen these metal grills before. Even if you can't hunt one down that is the proper diameter, it might not be to difficult to cut down and "bubble bend" some prefab. Devising a way of securing it, is going to be the hardest part.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #12
Yes the driver side light has a nice frosted look it is starting to develop. lol. I can't imagine if they were plastic how they would look. I like the mesh idea, but I feel like it would have to be a slightly tighter weave or perhaps slotted to be effective. I don't think it would be difficult to find a 3" circular aluminum blank and cut slots in it and attach it to the bezel with tension clips for easy removal.

yea I have the diode dynamics and they are plastic. It did not take long for the lenses to be trashed. I would never buy them again.

It's a good practice always use some PPF on foglights and headlights.

I just changed the lamin-x on my diode dynamics/morimoto fogs last weekend. here is a pic showing the before and after. brand new again.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
This is quite interesting as THE DAY I purchased my car and was bringing it to my parents house to show it off my passenger side fog light busted. I was surprised to see it was glass and not plastic as most frontal lighting on cars is made of a poly-carbonate material. I've seen more have had the same issue.

I just purchased a new one the day after as I didn't plan on getting the Morimoto XB LED Projector fogs for sometime and now I have acquired them and love them. Since you claim to not use you fog lights often I'd use it as a brake duct(if you plan on tracking the car) as others mentioned or get some sort of suitable replacement as the Morimotos might be out of the question for the price since you don't use the fogs as much(they're worth the price though). My fogs are on anytime my headlights are on so its a difference story for me.

I installed the Diode Dynamics fog lamps and put the clear cover on them as well; have had the car over three years and no issues...and some TX roads kick up a lot of stuff....

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
That's just the (inner) diameter of the grenade launcher. The 37mm is non-restricted though since it's just a flare gun. The 40mm must be registered with the ATF as a destructive device since it can shoot actual grenades. ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk