Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Reliability Mods

Hey, I used the search function but could really see what I'm looking for. Maybe it's my lack of computer knowledge. But could you guys please offer up some suggestions on what your doing to make these cars more "bulletproof" (for lack of a better term)? I'm not looking for more power, just reliability. If there is a thread on this can somebody please direct me to it? Thanks in advance

SrsBsns

From what I've read, these cars don't have a lot of maintenance issues as long as you take care of them.

I would look at things like:

Front mount intercooler and piping

Upgraded radiator and piping

Oil catch can (although I believe I've seen mixed opinions on if this is beneficial)

anticon

Change transmission fluid but stick to Ford Spec (e.g. Ravenol MTF-2), use premium Top Tier gas, catch cans (might keep valves clean, might cause increased crankcase pressure) (there can be two; PCV and Crankcase), Water/Meth Injection - cleans valves and more power, Paint Protection Film (PPF), Rubber Floor Mats, Dead Pedal, Trunk Liner, proper wax or ceramic coating on paint, proper cleaning procedures, break in the engine, transmission, brakes properly, potentially bigger oil filter, swap out the diverter valve and one step colder plugs if you go with a tune. I also like to watch the temps, ign corrections and OAR on the COBB AP so that could help spot a problem. I also put laminx on the fog lights as they are known to crack, not sure this will stop it from breaking in the event of strike, but it should hold it together. If you do this you have to use LED's the halogens will burn the laminx.

The FIST is pretty good as far as being durable as is as long as you take care of it and drive it reasonably- as already stated. And change your oil! Modifications are mostly to enhance performance. My own opinion to make it more bullet proof and increase performance, make the engine not work as hard would be to add free flow exhaust and intake. Lighter wheels would reduce unsprung weight and make the suspension components last- and also let the car accelerate, roll and stop easier. These are just my own opinions and what I would do. I have added MBRP CAT back exhaust so far and it sounds way better and the engine already breathes better with performance increase at the upper RPM. It also boosted my MPG to 39.4 average and I run 89 octane. I need the car to last a long time, it is my commuter car and I go 70 miles a day round trip in it.

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
That's interesting on the catch can. I always thought they were a good thing. Hey thanks for the suggestions so far!

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Change transmission fluid but stick to Ford Spec (e.g. Ravenol MTF-2), use premium Top Tier gas, catch cans (might keep valves clean, might cause increased crankcase pressure) (there can be two; PCV and Crankcase), Water/Meth Injection - cleans valves and more power, Paint Protection Film (PPF), Rubber Floor Mats, Dead Pedal, Trunk Liner, proper wax or ceramic coating on paint, proper cleaning procedures, break in the engine, transmission, brakes properly, potentially bigger oil filter, swap out the diverter valve and one step colder plugs if you go with a tune. I also like to watch the temps, ign corrections and OAR on the COBB AP so that could help spot a problem. I also put laminx on the fog lights as they are known to crack, not sure this will stop it from breaking in the event of strike, but it should hold it together. If you do this you have to use LED's the halogens will burn the laminx.
The dead pedal is a great suggestion. I'd probably have a hole in the carpet by now if I hadn't installed one early on.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hey, I used the search function but could really see what I'm looking for. Maybe it's my lack of computer knowledge. But could you guys please offer up some suggestions on what your doing to make these cars more "bulletproof" (for lack of a better term)? I'm not looking for more power, just reliability. If there is a thread on this can somebody please direct me to it? Thanks in advance
This is right up my alley. Potential negative impact on reliability is why I generally stay away from modifications.

* Replace Summer tires (applicable for cold climates) - reliability means precisely ~nothing~ if one wrecks it
* Absolutely watch and maintain the coolant levels
* OBD II phone app + OBD II Bluetooth Adapter (on Amazon) - allow for temperature monitoring
* Some have opted to selectively implement some of the changes that the recall did for the older (2014) FiST, such as thermostat change, coolant reservoir change and/or radiator.
* Replace transmission fluid and fill to 2.1L
* There are many options for protecting the clear coat paint
* Prolonging the life of the HVAC Blend Door Actuator - Make seldom use of "Auto", make adjustments on lower fan speed settings, make adjustments with windows up for highway speeds
* Leather care for the interior

Modern engines for emissions reasons are purposefully designed to run hotter. This is really hard on your oil. Clean oil and filter are valuable for reducing wear.

Last piece - boneheads can make short work of *any* clutch. Friends don't let friends ruin FiSTs.