Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

POLL: Are your axle seals leaking!?

Leaking Axle Seals?

• Yes

Votes: 74 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 81 52.3%

• Total voters

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd honestly rather add oil the see a mess when I go under my new car

And if it burns I'd constantly know my oil level is good cause I'd always be adding lol
Like I said...most of the time it's an installer issue...I've spoke to numerous Ford tech's...half the time they just throw any meatball with a wrench at the seal. At $10 dollars a quart for the 5w40 syn oil I'd rather light my hair on fire or attempt to pound a nail with a cotton candy hammer.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Add me to the leaker list. I had my 2015 on the ramps today to do an oil change. Passenger side seal looked OK, but the drivers side is seeping enough that it has leaked down to the RMM.

My car has the first generation metal rimmed seals. For those that have had the new design of rubber seal, has it solved your issues, or are you still having seeping/leaking?

I suspect as many have stated, poor installation will cause a leak regardless of the seal. So it all comes down to how good a service tech works on your car, 'Do yah feel lucky punk, will do yah?'...

Let me know if the new seal design solved your leak issue.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Add me to the leaker list. I had my 2015 on the ramps today to do an oil change. Passenger side seal looked OK, but the drivers side is seeping enough that it has leaked down to the RMM.

My car has the first generation metal rimmed seals. For those that have had the new design of rubber seal, has it solved your issues, or are you still having seeping/leaking?

I suspect as many have stated, poor installation will cause a leak regardless of the seal. So it all comes down to how good a service tech works on your car, 'Do yah feel lucky punk, will do yah?'...

Let me know if the new seal design solved your leak issue.
Do You?

So noticed some weeping a while ago coming from right side seal. Did some searching and deemed it normal. Checked again recently under the car and noticed it seems to have gotten worse.

Compared to some of the pictures on the forums, its seems way worse than what people are getting repaired. Though there are no drips, there is never a puddle of anything at all under the car. Also people claiming to have drips dont have pictures of the entire surrounding area being as wet as mine.

I have a 2016 USDM with 50k miles on it, so out of warranty. I have not noticed anything odd while driving. I do regularly autocross and done a few track days.

Want to see if this seems excessive to anyone.

axle seal leak 12_12_2018.jpg

Intuit

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=4091]Pyinator[/MENTION] - The wind does a good... no *great* job of spreading tiny amounts of seepage around. I wouldn't worry about it.

[MENTION=8231]HardBoiledEgg[/MENTION] I remember reading somewhere this is technically a mechanical issue (not considered transmission) and isnt covered. Maybe just bad dealerships saying that.

And I dont care about any amount of wetness, I just want to make sure nothing is going to fail.

[MENTION=5184]Intuit[/MENTION]
I figured as much, even without any drips. Especially since we have no splash guard down there!

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Just replaced another axle seal after a recent transmission repair. Replaced the OEM seal for an aftermarket seal. Had a good chat to the guy at the bearing centre where I brought the seal from. The only thing we could come up with why you would have continuing seal leakage (apart from incorrect installation/shaft rust and damage) is the shaft surface where the seal lip runs. You need to polish off any shine off the shaft with a strip of 600-800 wet and dry. The seal surface needs to hold oil to lubricate the rubber lip otherwise it will burn and leak in no time.
I used a speedy-sleeve, see my pics.

IMG_2841.JPG IMG_2842.JPG IMG_2843.JPG IMG_2844.JPG IMG_2845.JPG IMG_2846.JPG IMG_2849.JPG IMG_2855.JPG IMG_2852.JPG IMG_2853.JPG IMG_2854.JPG

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's like I said...Most of the time its installer error at the dealer. This type of work shows a good knowledgable Tech vs a lazy Slam it home Bubba and beat the clock Tech.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Just bought my 14 with 100k. The dealer replaced the seal on the passenger side. I checked it and found it leaking a tiny bit. I wiped it dry and checked it again today, it's wet again, but I don't see any spots on the ground, so it's not bad enough to puddle. Gotta wonder how much I'm losing while driving though.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
My passenger side was leaking after my rebuild (I blame pulling the axle in and out 3 times to get to an oil leak) I replaced with oem seal. Still leaked, I replaced again with Ford own seal... Leaked again. I ordered the mountune diff installation kit with seals, no leaks. The is a difference in what I bought from Ford and what mountune sold me. Just hate spending $120 for a seal and having all the diff bolts and bearings left over...
Do you have a part number for this mountune seal?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
From what The previous poster has said...it came in the Kit. Most likely not available....Call Mountune and ASK.
I didn't call them, but I sent them a message, we'll see if they reply back.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
After I got my axles replaced (scraping/clunking sound when rolling to a stop) my car pissed trans fluid all over the ground ( think the seals were green + oil colored) . I took it back and in ~1.5 hours they swapped the seals (different color now, I think yellow-ish) and they aren't even damp since the swap.

Still get the scraping sound when rolling to a stop though :|