Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New 16x8 Wheel Incoming - Konig Dekagram

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
They do not make a 245/45/16 and if they did it would be far to wide and tall and very heavy, they do make it in 245/50/16 which is even taller yet.

205/45/16 is a perfect match in that tire for an 8" wide wheel as it has the right tread and section width for a bit of stretch that will give you great response and control, the right diameter, reasonable weight, they wear quite well if taken care of....not the stickiest tire but plenty of grip for real world use.

The stock suspension is not optimal which is well documented on this site, over damped is the term that seems to apply, different shocks can help a great deal if you want to maintain stock ride height. If you just want to run the stock suspension the 205/45/16 on 16x8 should help quite a bit in ride comfort and give a bit of increase in acceleration and braking performance due to lower weight and hopefully maintain contact over bumps though the stock dampers are a bit of a problem so not sure what the results will be though others might have an answer on that.

----------

There are far more aspects to consider than turn in which seems to be a bit of a buzz word on this forum. It is but one of many things that are very important when considering the performance of a tire. A tire that is short and stiff may give you that great feeling but at the expense of a harsh and often noisy ride, easily damaged on today's roads in many areas, etc.....Compliance with the surface is critical for ultimate grip and in many cases a bit of give will allow the tire patch to maintain better contact with the road surface, the only thing that keeps you, on the road:)

--------

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
205/45

Either that's the second time you made that typo or you really are planning on running 245/45, which will definitely not fit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Haha, yes. A typo, my bad.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
They do not make a 245/45/16 and if they did it would be far to wide and tall and very heavy, they do make it in 245/50/16 which is even taller yet.

205/45/16 is a perfect match in that tire for an 8" wide wheel as it has the right tread and section width for a bit of stretch that will give you great response and control, the right diameter, reasonable weight, they wear quite well if taken care of....not the stickiest tire but plenty of grip for real world use.

The stock suspension is not optimal which is well documented on this site, over damped is the term that seems to apply, different shocks can help a great deal if you want to maintain stock ride height. If you just want to run the stock suspension the 205/45/16 on 16x8 should help quite a bit in ride comfort and give a bit of increase in acceleration and braking performance due to lower weight and hopefully maintain contact over bumps though the stock dampers are a bit of a problem so not sure what the results will be though others might have an answer on that.

----------

There are far more aspects to consider than turn in which seems to be a bit of a buzz word on this forum. It is but one of many things that are very important when considering the performance of a tire. A tire that is short and stiff may give you that great feeling but at the expense of a harsh and often noisy ride, easily damaged on today's roads in many areas, etc.....Compliance with the surface is critical for ultimate grip and in many cases a bit of give will allow the tire patch to maintain better contact with the road surface, the only thing that keeps you, on the road:)

--------
Yes, sorry. I meant 205/45.

I am on the fence between the dekas(15ish lb) or the assetto garras (17lb)16x7 42 offset. Price and color are better on the garas and the offset is a tad closer to stock, but 7" wide. I love the idea of stiffening the sidewalls, but ultimately not sure what will be better, 7" or 8" in the real world with a stock set up.
Of course, the flow formed wheels are stronger, and I have read up that the garas (in 17") seem to bend easy.

Another peeve: Throwing the offset down another 2mm doesnt sound like much I guess, but still think about it after recently reading up on scrub radius (sometimes too much info can be a bad thing).

I am trying not to make this an expensive experiment, as you really only get one shot at it, unless you dont mind re-mortgaging the house....

Fyi, I am running td pro race 1.2 15x7 42et with 195/55 mich x ice and love it, except for above 45°. The dropped weight makes a tremendous difference! I was always an oem wheel guy before this setup, im a converted man.

Thanks for the info. Now and previous... (read up a lot of your previous posts).

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I would not sweat over the 2mm difference as the sidewall support will add so much more to the overall performance it will be well worth it. In a perfect world we would have the right offset to keep the geometry correct but we have to accept what we can get. I run 15x9 in +35mm and it induces more torque steer but with big turbo I get more traction and the cornering and braking are on par with the rest of the suspension setup on 225 tires to make for one very quick car on track and quicker than anybody ever needs on a mountain road(to quick really as it is more fun to slide around a bit more, safely, on less grip)

Glad to be of any help I can, when I can, even it if ticks a few people off at times I want to help my fellow enthusiasts make good choices.

LILIKE16ST

Yes, sorry. I meant 205/45.

I am on the fence between the dekas(15ish lb) or the assetto garras (17lb)16x7 42 offset. Price and color are better on the garas and the offset is a tad closer to stock, but 7" wide. I love the idea of stiffening the sidewalls, but ultimately not sure what will be better, 7" or 8" in the real world with a stock set up.
Of course, the flow formed wheels are stronger, and I have read up that the garas (in 17") seem to bend easy.

Another peeve: Throwing the offset down another 2mm doesnt sound like much I guess, but still think about it after recently reading up on scrub radius (sometimes too much info can be a bad thing).

I am trying not to make this an expensive experiment, as you really only get one shot at it, unless you dont mind re-mortgaging the house....

Fyi, I am running td pro race 1.2 15x7 42et with 195/55 mich x ice and love it, except for above 45°. The dropped weight makes a tremendous difference! I was always an oem wheel guy before this setup, im a converted man.

Thanks for the info. Now and previous... (read up a lot of your previous posts).
I understand wanting to do research and make sure you make the right choice the first time because I am the exact same way. With that said I would absolutely go with the konig between those two hands down and it isn't even close. You get a wheel that is made far better and stronger and despite being 1 inch wider is 2 lbs less per wheel which is a win win win. It will make that same tire feel much better overall than it would on the 7 inch wheel and the width will help a great deal in that turn in response that you seem to want to keep intact. Judging by your comments on your winter setup you already know what reduced weight can do for the feel and performance of your car so that part speaks for itself. You have more choices on tires you could potentially run in the future like the two different 200 treadwear 215/45s they make for 16 inch wheels as well which have 23.6 inch height which is almost the same as oem and you'd get more rubber to the road with that size on 8 inch wheels vs a 205 on a 7 inch wheel yet still have even less weight overall, if you ever wanted to go that route that option would be there with the konigs. The dekagram is one of the best wheels available for the FiST bar none many people on this site have wanted good lightweight flow formed wheels in 16x8 for a long time in our pattern and many of us including me already invested in a set of aftermarket wheels before these were available but you are in a position to be buying wheels now and have it in your crosshairs. Don't miss out on this awesome wheel. I feel that dollar for dollar lbs for lbs it is THE best option there is for our cars in the stock bolt pattern in every way. 16x8 is the perfect size for this car. Like I said I love my 15s but if these were available when I purchased mine couple years back I'd have them as we speak. There still is a chance I may invest in a set of these in the future and dedicate my 15 inch setup for winter use then I would have a great setup year round. I really hate when cold weather comes and I have to put the heavy stock wheels back on with their rubber band sidewalled tires...it sucks after you get used to a good quality wheel with much less weight and more sidewall for better ride lol
go with the deka...

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I understand wanting to do research and make sure you make the right choice the first time because I am the exact same way. With that said I would absolutely go with the konig between those two hands down and it isn't even close. You get a wheel that is made far better and stronger and despite being 1 inch wider is 2 lbs less per wheel which is a win win win. It will make that same tire feel much better overall than it would on the 7 inch wheel and the width will help a great deal in that turn in response that you seem to want to keep intact. Judging by your comments on your winter setup you already know what reduced weight can do for the feel and performance of your car so that part speaks for itself. You have more choices on tires you could potentially run in the future like the two different 200 treadwear 215/45s they make for 16 inch wheels as well which have 23.6 inch height which is almost the same as oem and you'd get more rubber to the road with that size on 8 inch wheels vs a 205 on a 7 inch wheel yet still have even less weight overall, if you ever wanted to go that route that option would be there with the konigs. The dekagram is one of the best wheels available for the FiST bar none many people on this site have wanted good lightweight flow formed wheels in 16x8 for a long time in our pattern and many of us including me already invested in a set of aftermarket wheels before these were available but you are in a position to be buying wheels now and have it in your crosshairs. Don't miss out on this awesome wheel. I feel that dollar for dollar lbs for lbs it is THE best option there is for our cars in the stock bolt pattern in every way. 16x8 is the perfect size for this car. Like I said I love my 15s but if these were available when I purchased mine couple years back I'd have them as we speak. There still is a chance I may invest in a set of these in the future and dedicate my 15 inch setup for winter use then I would have a great setup year round. I really hate when cold weather comes and I have to put the heavy stock wheels back on with their rubber band sidewalled tires...it sucks after you get used to a good quality wheel with much less weight and more sidewall for better ride lol
go with the deka...
Cool thanks!!

I just put my order in for 5 wheels!! woohoo!!

Summit literally just raised the price of the wheel to $152, but I called them up and they honored the $142 price, plus I had $20 worth of "Summit bucks". $690 all in for a set with an extra spare (always a good thing to have!)

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
now I need some decent lugs..... any thoughts on good black lugs for these?

LILIKE16ST

I would assume any decent flat black tuner style lug nut would be fine. I don't remember the brand I got for my 15s but they look and work great. I even use them with the stock wheels too now. Great decision to go with these. It makes me envious for sure because you paid the same for 5 wheels as I did for 4 (690 shipped is what my pro race 1.2s were). Like I said best wheel all around and best bang for the buck. For those who don't want to downsize and want to stick with 17s the hypergram is the best 17 available in stock bolt pattern imo. That matte grey looks great also and they're only like 16 lbs which isn't bad at all for a 17x8

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I just use normal Gorilla spline drive lug nuts. I've had them for awhile now and they just happened to be black so they're perfect.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I would assume any decent flat black tuner style lug nut would be fine. I don't remember the brand I got for my 15s but they look and work great. I even use them with the stock wheels too now. Great decision to go with these. It makes me envious for sure because you paid the same for 5 wheels as I did for 4 (690 shipped is what my pro race 1.2s were). Like I said best wheel all around and best bang for the buck. For those who don't want to downsize and want to stick with 17s the hypergram is the best 17 available in stock bolt pattern imo. That matte grey looks great also and they're only like 16 lbs which isn't bad at all for a 17x8
I was hardcore wanting the hypergrams, amazing looking wheels and I prefer matte grey. But the shitty tire options along with crapola nyc streets had me on 16"s all the way!
Also, 17s are easier to gouge curbs via parallel parking. The way the body lines angle up on the doors, its easy to mis-judge. Which reminds me, I need to do a backup cam.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I just use normal Gorilla spline drive lug nuts. I've had them for awhile now and they just happened to be black so they're perfect.
I always try to stay away from spline drive stuff.
Agreed, but I bet mcgard splines are decent. *Muteki looks interesting.
I will look around for forged lugs.

And I guess I gotta get some flappys now. Not a fan, but would rather keep my paint intact.

*Edit for spelling

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Agreed, but I bet mcgard splines are decent. Motegi looks interesting.
I will look around for forged lugs.

And I guess I gotta get some flappys now. Not a fan, but would rather keep my paint intact.

Agree with the flaps. Nothing worse than making turn when on low tread wear tires and hearing the gravel bounce down side of car.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Yahoo, great choice and getting 5 is a very smart move:)

I tried for two years to get Konig 16x8 wheels made for this car or at least 4x100 and could not get it done even though I did the first 4x100 conversion was on 15x9 with 283 miles on the car I wanted them for you guys.

I have used Gorilla spline drive lugs for years on most all my modded vehicles including $100k race car builds, never had a problem and I use the short open end ones to save weight most of the time.

I think I still have a set of blace closed faced forged aluminum lug nuts around here somewhere, they do not weigh much less than the open faced Gorillas.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Only reason I stay away from spline drive and other odd lugs as nothing is worse than misplaced lug tools or damaged ones when really need it. I had a muteki spline drive tool crack on me one night before track event. Let’s say they aren’t easy to find. I ended up welding it back together and
Made it work but never again will I use unless the wheels absolutely need smaller diameter lugs.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Yahoo, great choice and getting 5 is a very smart move:)...
Thanks! I am excited. Only problem is winter, gotta wait another 2+ months. Yeah, ordering 5 is a no-brainer for sure! I even pondered getting 6, but thought that might be a little nuts.

FWIW, my friend contacted Konig and they told him it's safe to powdercoat their flow formed wheels. I was contemplating doing them in gunmetal/titanium/anthracite.

Thanks! I am excited. Only problem is winter, gotta wait another 2+ months. Yeah, ordering 5 is a no-brainer for sure! I even pondered getting 6, but thought that might be a little nuts.

FWIW, my friend contacted Konig and they told him it's safe to powdercoat their flow formed wheels. I was contemplating doing them in gunmetal/titanium/anthracite.
Good to know they can be powder coated. I didn't think they could being flow forged.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have not used there lugs, only Gorilla and never a problem with at least a couple dozens sets, using impact guns to take off and put on but not on tight of course. I used to drive some of my modded cars to autocross or track events and change the wheels and tires there, done it many times, it would of sucked if the socked broke for sure! I normally had one buried in the car I left there all the time and one in the tool bag so I did have a back up but never needed to use one.

-------------

I would double check on powder coating those wheels, it would not be the first time a rep gave the wrong advice over the phone. Not saying they have, many others have said things to me that I knew were just plain wrong. It kind of helps I have been doing this for 50+ years, seen most everything that can go wrong at one time or another:)

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I would double check on powder coating those wheels, it would not be the first time a rep gave the wrong advice over the phone. Not saying they have, many others have said things to me that I knew were just plain wrong. It kind of helps I have been doing this for 50+ years, seen most everything that can go wrong at one time or another:)
A theory I read is that the temps used in powder-coating don't come close to the temps used in the flow forge process, and thus don't weaken it.

I will research it some more for sure.