Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Please Tell me what mods to get!!!

Hi my name is Andrew I'm 19 and bought my 2014 ford fiesta ST 2 days ago [pray]
I'm already looking for what i can do to it!
I would love to get some advice as to what mod I should do first. [raceflag]
I've been told i should do exhaust or BOV first. is this true? if so what are some recommendations as to what brands i should get? (feel free to use links)

CSM

1000 Post Club
Hi my name is Andrew I'm 19 and bought my 2014 ford fiesta ST 2 days ago [pray]
I'm already looking for what i can do to it!
I would love to get some advice as to what mod I should do first. [raceflag]
I've been told i should do exhaust or BOV first. is this true? if so what are some recommendations as to what brands i should get? (feel free to use links)
Welcome and congrats on the car! Also I used to live in Charlotte for a while, my company is still located there so I travel there a lot.

• BPV - Our cars use a bypass valve (BPV) instead of a blow off valve (BOV). A BPV recirculates air back into the intake, whereas BOV vents to atmosphere. I think the issue on our cars is that the factory BPV is a bit leaky. Most people go with the Go Fast Bits GFB DV+ to solve this issue. It requires removal of the factory BPV and inserting higher quality springs/pistons/seals into the unit.
  • Exhaust - Unless you are going turbo upgrade, exhausts are nothing but noise makers on our cars. A downpipe or exhaust upgrade on a stock turbo will not gain any power mods. Not sure who told you this info but they are wrong. I'd hold off on a downpipe or exhaust upgrade until you decide to upgrade the turbo. Even then, there are several folks making 300whp on factory exhaust

Honestly If it was me and if my primary focus was power I'd get:
  • Upgraded Intercooler - Pwnall/Whoosh/Depo are all good. Factory intercooler heat soaks really bad. You can run more aggressive tune on an upgraded IC.
  • Cobb AP - This will allow you to run custom tunes on your vehicle. I would recommend tunes by JST, Stratified, or Dizzy. They make more power than Cobb OTS tunes and have better driveability in my opinion
  • Filter upgrade or intake upgrade - OEM Intake is actually quite good on our cars. A drop in high flow filter will net a few HP. Dizzy tuning did some dyno tests and showed some decent gains on aftermarket intakes, especially when running custom tunes. If you can, go with an intake that has an updated crossover pipe, like Injen. Otherwise just go with a high flow filter

FWIW I have: Pwnall IC, Injen Intake, Cobb AP, 1 step colder plugs, Boomba Recirculating BPV, and a Dizzy 93/E30 tune and My car has dynod at 200hp/280tq on 93 octane and 212hp/305tq on E30. All for roughtly $1,100

CSM

1000 Post Club
#1 thing to get is a rear motor mount.
#2 cobb accessport
#3 inter-cooler (so you can go stage 2)
oh yeah, forgot RMM. If you dont get a stiffer rear motor mount, you will get the infamous BANG on a fast 1-2 shift. Kind of startling the first time it happens

SrsBsns

oh yeah, forgot RMM. If you dont get a stiffer rear motor mount, you will get the infamous BANG on a fast 1-2 shift. Kind of startling the first time it happens
I remember my first hard 1-2 shift. Scared the eff out of me. Ordered the RMM as soon as I got home.

As far as other mods, I'd throw in:

Pedal spacer
Short shifter/shifter kit

These make a nice difference over stock. They're pretty cheap and easy to do.

I also agree. First off there is nothing you can pay for to get the same result as a tune. Our tune usually will get about 40hp to the ground and 70 ft/lbs of torque. Now intercooler is great addition as well. But for the BOV make sure you use some sort of recirculation. If not you will notice when going into next gear you will have less boost pressure. I believe turbo smart ones still use some of it and would be my suggestion. My name is Jake message me if any questions or call me at 313-561-5500 thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I would mirror some of the other suggestions and say that the Rear Motor Mount would be an awesome first upgrade. As far as performance mods, it seems that everyone here already has you covered. For more visual mods, I'd say a tasteful drop on some aftermarket springs and/or a set of lightweight wheels. I'm actually waiting on the Konig Hypergrams to go back in stock myself. Another good option is window tinting, I brought my car over to Eclipse Tinting in Charlotte and I'd say they did a pretty bang-on job.

I'm also located in Charlotte myself, if you ever see me around give me a wave!

#1 thing to get is a rear motor mount.
#2 cobb accessport
#3 inter-cooler (so you can go stage 2)
You could have a killer car with just those mods. Unfortunately, many of us are stricken with the "can't stop modding" disease. [wrenchin]

OP
A
Thread Starter #12
thanks so much! this gives me a good idea of what to do to my car first!

CSM

1000 Post Club
BTW a couple of things:
  • Recall - You have a 2014 like me. There is a recall for potential of cylinder head cracking. Have you gotten this done yet? If not you should. It basically involves addition of a new coolant overflow reservoir, tapping of a new coolant return line to turbo and also a 180F thermostat. Takes a couple days at the ford dealer, but its a safety recall so no charge to you.
  • About the exhaust debate: I just saw a post where Jason@Dizzy Tuning tuned a Fiesta ST running a FULL OEM EXHAUST (thats stock cat, stock downpipe, stock cat back) and the car made 300whp on a bigger turbo. So in my mind its not really necessary to updgrade exhaust unless you want more noise :)

• About the exhaust debate: I just saw a post where Jason@Dizzy Tuning tuned a Fiesta ST running a FULL OEM EXHAUST (thats stock cat, stock downpipe, stock cat back) and the car made 300whp on a bigger turbo. So in my mind its not really necessary to updgrade exhaust unless you want more noise :)
I think it was also Jason who said he has seen better power gains from tuned cars with everything stock but the intercooler.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
If you are 19, leave it stock for 6 months and do driver mods. Go autocrossing, etc. That way, you learn the behaviors and limits of the car first, then learn to explore them, then you'll figure out where you need those limits to be higher. Also, you appreciate mods more when you get to feel the difference after each mod. Drive the car until it feels slow to you first. You'll have moments where "oo the engine thumps on hard shifts", then you want an RMM "wow the car is too quiet" then you might want an intake or exhaust, etc.