Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New MeLe Lightweight Battery Mount Installed

This past weekend I installed my new lightweight battery mount (in texture black) and Odyssey PC680 battery from MeLe Design Firm. The installation was pretty easy, just followed the video they have on their site. This mod saves 16lbs from my engine bay and looks really good. Very happy with the quality and the sucker is rock solid!

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

Mikey456

Looks great...do you notice a difference in performance with the weight loss? Also do you use your Fist as a daily driver? I would consider this product, but price and the fact that I’m using a small battery for a daily driven car concerns me.

OP
Peter H
Thread Starter #3
Looks great...do you notice a difference in performance with the weight loss?
Can't say I notice the weight difference, but I know there really isn't an easier way to drop that much weight from the front of the car.

Also do you use your Fist as a daily driver? I would consider this product, but price and the fact that I’m using a small battery for a daily driven car concerns me.
Yes, it's my daily, about 100 miles round trip. I had those same concerns, but after researching these batteries I'm confident it will work as well or better than my original battery and save me weight in the process.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've got the MeLe box (great build quality) and am not really impressed with the ECU mount; it hangs on the box and is anchored in one corner. Does yours fit tightly or does it flop around a bit?

OP
Peter H
Thread Starter #5
I've got the MeLe box (great build quality) and am not really impressed with the ECU mount; it hangs on the box and is anchored in one corner. Does yours fit tightly or does it flop around a bit?
That's an area they could maybe work on but my ECU is stable. The included foam strip that attaches to the back of the ECU also helped keep it snug against the battery box.

Jerickson88

Looks great...do you notice a difference in performance with the weight loss? Also do you use your Fist as a daily driver? I would consider this product, but price and the fact that I’m using a small battery for a daily driven car concerns me.
I could take a dump and nearly equal that.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, it's my daily, about 100 miles round trip. I had those same concerns, but after researching these batteries I'm confident it will work as well or better than my original battery and save me weight in the process.
What are the coldest temps you will ever start the car in (and do you EVER listen to the radio with the engine not running)??

OP
Peter H
Thread Starter #8
What are the coldest temps you will ever start the car in (and do you EVER listen to the radio with the engine not running)??
The coldest I'll probably see in Oregon in winter will be low to mid 20's (the battery is rated to -40F). No, I don't typically listen to the radio with the engine off, but the battery should handle that fine. If you have a significant sound system installed I would contact MeLe Design Firm direct as they have other battery choices.

OP
Peter H
Thread Starter #9
...Does yours fit tightly or does it flop around a bit?
Jeffrey, I just popped my hood at lunch and checked the ECU mount and after a few hundred miles back and forth over the coast range it's totally solid. I would contact MeLe Design and see if there's something they can help with. Their customer service is excellent.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Jeffrey, I just popped my hood at lunch and checked the ECU mount and after a few hundred miles back and forth over the coast range it's totally solid. I would contact MeLe Design and see if there's something they can help with. Their customer service is excellent.
Thanks - I'll take your advice and give them a call.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Think on terms of an accident, how secure is everything if the car were to flip and if it’s equal to or better than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Think on terms of an accident, how secure is everything if the car were to flip and if it’s equal to or better than stock.
Anecdotally, not quite as good. The build quality is excellent, but it's riveted aluminum and the battery is held in with a hinge and a pin instead of steel and a threaded clamp. That said, the battery is held quite securely. I think that any accident that would rip that battery free would be pretty catastrophic.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Target consumers appear to be track enthusiasts who want a lighter battery, IMO it should be able to withstand track duty and unintended off track excursions.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Target consumers appear to be track enthusiasts who want a lighter battery, IMO it should be able to withstand track duty and unintended off track excursions.
That, for sure, it will withstand. A flip over is not an off track excursion; it's a serious deal. I didn't say that it would allow the battery to rip free if the car barrel-rolled. I said that, anecdotally, it doesn't seem quite as strong as the OEM setup, which is designed to work after years of corrosion and neglect. I would guess that any acrobatics that would cause the MeLe box to fail would also cause other things to fail, like control arms, bumper cover fasteners, and exhaust hangers. In short, I believe that the MeLe box will withstand a BIG off.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I’ve seen off track excursions leading into a flip. Just cautionary for whoever is interested in the mount. That is all.

OP
Peter H
Thread Starter #16
Here are the things I considered before buying the MeLe mount and Odyssey battery:

1. The mount passes all levels of race tech inspection and has been adopted by multiple rally cross teams.
  2. The Odyssey battery is a dry cell battery with no free acid so if the case was punctured you would not have acid all over.
  3. The mount/battery combo is much lower mass than stock and is secured just as firmly to the chassis, as long as you follow the installation guide.

I don't plan to track or rally my car, but I like having a piece of kit that's designed to take that level of punishment - and look cool doing it.

OP
Peter H
Thread Starter #17
BTW, here are some of the rally folks using the MeLe mounts:

• Pro ARA: Tabor Rally Team, All Fours Rally Team, Subabeast
  • Dash-N-Cars (Fiesta Rally Cross Team)
  • Skid Plate Guy (does rally cross and is well known in Ford world with MeLe products)

koozy

3000 Post Club
Just my opinion, I'm personally not worried about the battery coming out. I personally don't like the design aesthetically with the door latch/pin, it doesn't jive with anything under the hood and the mickey mouse provision to just hang the ECU. Again just my opinion. I'm sure there are many that don't care and they will sell a lot to those clientele.

OP
Peter H
Thread Starter #19
...and the mickey mouse provision to just hang the ECU...
The original decision to hang the ECU off the battery box was Ford's and you could argue that it's not ideal. What MeLe did was take the reasonable route of not reinventing the wheel and their solution seems to me to be every bit as secure as the factory's.

The installation video best illustrates how the ECU attaches to the mount. I know mine is going nowhere.

koozy

3000 Post Club
IIRC, with the Ford OE battery box the ECU bracketry actually clips into place. Does ECU clip or just hang on to the MeLe battery box?