Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Did you know your Fiesta ST could.....("secret" features thread)

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I've been driving stick for almost 40 years. The FiST is the first car I've ever driven with hill start assistant and I think it is awful. I was very happy when I discovered you could turn it off. Learn to use the clutch and/or handbrake properly.
I have driven a manual for 52 years, I will continue to enjoy the hill assist and give my right hand a vacation, it simply replaces the need to hold a hand brake. I live in E. TN which is all hills and mountains. I cannot even get out of my drive and subdivision without starting from a stop on 3 uphill roads. I am overjoyed at not having to use the handbrake any longer. It does take some getting used to the timing, I did not like it at first either but if you practice you will get the hang of it quickly and say bye to the old way forever. I would love to even HAVE a handbrake in my old Ranger manual trans pickup much less hill assist.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don’t like it, but if it makes it easier to get people to select manual transmissions then I guess I’d call it a net-positive. Anything that lowers the barrier to entry means we’ll keep having our preferred trans available. They could easily give the ST the same aisin auto trans the Abarth uses. I kinda like that the st is manual only.
Sadly, when everything is full electric, or worse yet, autonomic, there will be no possibility of a manual gearbox. [mad]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Turn sig noise discussed here - http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8994-Turn-signal-clicker-too-quiet

Back when the noise was a mechanical relay, (may still be,) it wasn't unusual for some relays to be louder or quieter than others. Personally, don't have any issue with it; volume level is fine and as one person effectively put it, louder than the motorcycle. As an idea, those flexible LED strips can be cut to length and wrapped around the "neck" part of the mirror mounts... https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=led+strip+12v So you'll have those in full view, along with the dash blinkers, (that some have expressed issue with).
[MENTION=7929]Sprinkle_Star[/MENTION] & [MENTION=8580]LargeRubberFist[/MENTION] - re Turn Sigs, virtually all cars have a momentary switch on the signaling stalk. The semi-auto sig is the only thing that is more recent. I believe there were some members who were discussing changing the 3 blinks, to 5, via FORScan. http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...oftware-before?p=253568&viewfull=1#post253568
[MENTION=8050]alexrex20[/MENTION] - If you press her button, you can make her talk, then adjust the volume. Since you like pressing people's buttons, I thought you of all people here, would've figured that one out. [wink][wink]

Here's another one - the rear windshield courtesy wipe.

The rear windshield wiper will auto cycle once as soon as you shift into reverse. This feature only works when you have the front windshield wipers turned on, though. It saves the driver the hassle of having to manually clear the rear glass prior to backing out of a driveway or parking spot in light rain, when you don't necessarily want the rear wipers turned ON, but want added visibility out the back of the car for when you reverse.

This is so miscellaneous, but I saw in a video someone braking until ABS activated.

While the ABS was active, both turn signal indicators in the gauge cluster blinked rapidly.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I'm miffed about the pen holder, you people to good to wear a pocket protector ?

This is so miscellaneous, but I saw in a video someone braking until ABS activated.

While the ABS was active, both turn signal indicators in the gauge cluster blinked rapidly.
I wonder if that is a European thing. When I watch car videos on the Nurburgring, and they brake hard the 4-ways come on.

I think I have discovered something about the automatic climate control function.

When using the windshield wipers, the a/c stays on - even if you're trying to warm the cabin up. I thought it was neat when I realized it.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I think I have discovered something about the automatic climate control function.

When using the windshield wipers, the a/c stays on - even if you're trying to warm the cabin up. I thought it was neat when I realized it.
Why would A/C turn off when using the wipers? Do you mean defrosting the windshield? That's pretty much the norm.

Why would A/C turn off when using the wipers? Do you mean defrosting the windshield? That's pretty much the norm.
Where I live, it hasn't rained for a while, and it's usually in the 40s when I drive home from work. When it wasn't raining, I'd turn on auto climate control, and the a/c wouldn't be turned on automatically since i have it set to 75.

Last night was rainy, but at no time did I need to use defrost. I noticed that the a/c was turned on automatically, and i bet it's because i needed to have the wipers running.

Much like the headlights automatically turn on when you use the wipers (even during the day), the a/c turns on automatically when the wipers are on.

When the a/c is running, it dehumidifies the air, so that's why it's programmed to turn on when wipers are used.

cxwrench

A/C used to come on in my old STi whenver I turner on the defroster. Seemed to work way better than just warm air.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
For any vehicle that is equipped with a compressor, it is normal for it activate with the defrost function. It is also normal for it cease function, specifically when ambient temps are below freezing.

Are you all saying that the defroster turns on when the wipers are in use and automatic climate control is selected?

My a/c doesn't turn on automatically when i set the temperature to 75 during cold nights... unless I'm using the wipers.

Spaceman_Spiff

Here's a recent "discovery": you can unlock the doors from the rear doors if you pull the door handle twice while it's locked (from the inside, obviously). My daughter was goofing around in the car and I locked the doors so she wouldn't get out. She pulled the handle twice and all the doors unlocked. Tried it a few more times and same result.

Spaceman_Spiff

You can voice control HVAC. I believe the command is Climate Control...Set Temperature...XX°. Pretty useless since you could change it several times before you could finish by voice, but the option is there.
I started a thread on this a while back. The car I test drove (with recarros and nav) had this feature - the salesman even demo'd it to me. My car (minus those features) does not do that. There were a few others who chimed in with various other option combos who had varied results. Weird, right?

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
My 15 does that. My 69 year old dad thinks it's bad ass lol. It's true it is faster to do it manually by far.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Here's a recent "discovery": you can unlock the doors from the rear doors if you pull the door handle twice while it's locked (from the inside, obviously). My daughter was goofing around in the car and I locked the doors so she wouldn't get out. She pulled the handle twice and all the doors unlocked. Tried it a few more times and same result.
This sounds like it would be contrary to NHTSA laws/regs, since it would allow a child to do exactly what your daughter did, and open the door while the car is MOVING (or is it rendered totally non-functional when the car is moving? {I HOPE!} [dunno]).

It just seems strange that we have rear windows which cannot roll all the way down, and then they put something like this in as a function. [???:)]

This sounds like it would be contrary to NHTSA laws/regs, since it would allow a child to do exactly what your daughter did, and open the door while the car is MOVING (or is it rendered totally non-functional when the car is moving? {I HOPE!} [dunno]).

It just seems strange that we have rear windows which cannot roll all the way down, and then they put something like this in as a function. [???:)]
I'm pretty sure the child safety lock overrides this when it's enabled. Or we would have heard a crap storm about kids opening Fiesta doors while in motion and getting hurt.

Ford Community Posts