Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What's the purpose of your ST?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Mine is also a daily. I wanted a great-handling quick car that got decent gas mileage and was cheap to fix, and this fit the bill. When I first heard about the car I didn't take it seriously, it didn't seem like a bona fide performance car. Then I saw Top Gear raving about it, followed by the traditional car mags I had followed since I was a kid, followed by numerous tests I read online. The more I read, the more impressed I got, and it has lived up to my high expectations. It feels more solid and substantial than I thought it would.
[MENTION=4133]Zormecteon[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION] mentioned that this may be their last car, and I had that thought too, having recently retired. I also don't want some boring old person car, I've loved cars since I was a little kid.
I like the utility of the 5-door, and like the tough,stubby look of it. I almost never have rear-seat passengers, so the seat size isn't a problem. My previous daily was an E90 M3, a great car for sure, but its primary attribute was its powerful engine, 0-Jail in about 10 seconds. It got 12 mpg in town, a set of tires was $1600, I was about to need a $600 battery, and other repairs would also be expensive. I thought if I got a car whose primary attribute was its great handling, I could enjoy that a lot more in regular driving, and I have.

SPhilli911

My car is for having fun while commuting to work and home, while also being economical and cheap. Really, nothing else fit the bill. And I can't afford more than one car. haha

Mine has to get me back and forth from work . Have dedicated snow tires for Winter. Hopefully this economy car will be reliable till I retire.

I guess I am the opposite of all you guys, I have an 05 Focus ST winter/work beater and keep my 2016 FiST and 2004 SVTF in the garage. I autocross the SVT and am not sure if I will autocross the FiST as well or just keep it as a toy on my days off.

OP
J
Thread Starter #25
I guess I am the opposite of all you guys, I have an 05 Focus ST winter/work beater and keep my 2016 FiST and 2004 SVTF in the garage. I autocross the SVT and am not sure if I will autocross the FiST as well or just keep it as a toy on my days off.
Wish I still had my SVTF. It was well setup when I sold it. I put a ton of miles on it.

My car is for having fun while commuting to work and home, while also being economical and cheap. Really, nothing else fit the bill. And I can't afford more than one car. haha
This. I drove 70+ miles a day, I'm in the car for at least 1.5 hours, might as well have fun while I'm in it without breaking the bank. I didn't see a single review that didn't end with goofy grins and rave reviews, so here I am.

DangerMouse

Daily driver, to and from work. It's a half hour drive both ways and I take the back roads. I also needed to be able to fit the kid in the back without too much hassle to myself, four doors is a plus. I don't haul too much stuff, I have two other cars for that.

OP
J
Thread Starter #29
This. I drove 70+ miles a day, I'm in the car for at least 1.5 hours, might as well have fun while I'm in it without breaking the bank. I didn't see a single review that didn't end with goofy grins and rave reviews, so here I am.
Bingo. That's why I chose the ST. I was desperate for a new car since mine were dying.

I'll probably do the "stage 1" stuff, maybe h&r sports and leave her well enough alone

It's a weekend toy for me, though every morning it's tempting to grab the keys and take it out. Coming from a Subaru the FiST has been a bargain to modify and not daily driving it, to me, preserves how much fun it is to drive.

OP
J
Thread Starter #31
Yeah I have way too much done to mine, I doubt I will ever sell it. Really fun car.
I had Tein basics, solid mounts, aluminum flywheel, stage 3 clutch, pulleys, and hypnotic tune. My favorite exhaust setup had to be the stock exhaust with cat delete pipe. Never fooled with intake. Just drop in filter.

Mine serves a few purposes. Since my commute during the week is on a twisty two-lane, and my weekend gig has me dicing in downtown L.A. traffic, I ride a motorcycle as often as I can. In the rain, or when I need to carry something that won't fit in a backpack, I'm in the car. That means my priorities are great handling and the ability to cut and thrust in traffic... basically the closest I can get to a bike with a roof and doors. Another priority is pleasing my wife while still having fun. My last car was a blown Mustang with a cage, race suspension and brakes. I had modded it to the point that my wife finally told me that she didn't want to ride in it anymore, and for a daily driver, it had become a bit ridiculous. Plus it got horrible mileage. After seeing Richard Hammond frothing about the FIST on Top Gear, I decided to drive one. Couldn't get it out of my mind, and when I sold the Mustang, I bought a FIST. I'm finding the old adage "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow" is true. Plus, my wife loves riding in it, and the fact that it gets about three times better mileage than my old beast.

Daily driver here, "Just a little Fiesta econobox for driving into the city" is what I told the missus. :)
LOL, same here, but my GF was startled when I floored it. So she knows whats up. She said "Its got good pickup", I said that's the point!

ZerO, not quite a 5.0. I had an '02, so a 4.6. But it was fully built, blown, and fast. I do miss the absolute straight line acceleration, but no regrets.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
ZerO, not quite a 5.0. I had an '02, so a 4.6. But it was fully built, blown, and fast. I do miss the absolute straight line acceleration, but no regrets.
Quite contrary to popular "ONLY import nameplates can turn left and right" belief/mentality/opinion, those cars (as well as the 4th gen GM f bodies) CAN BE made to handle as well as they go fast in a straight line. [wink]

My old '05 focus ST was creeping past the 225k mark and I realized I needed something new. I knew it had to be a step over the focus and had to be a manual, which narrowed it down fast. The FiST is our favorite of our two cars (the other being an '05 mazda3 S with a 5 speed manual) and generally goes to whoever has to drive further as it gets better mileage. My favorite thing about the FiST is the way it handles. More than once I've taken the longer route to a destination because the roads are twistier [raceflag]

OP
J
Thread Starter #39
LOL, same here, but my GF was startled when I floored it. So she knows whats up. She said "Its got good pickup", I said that's the point!
My wife said I didn't know you were getting a race car hahahaha. She said it rides too rough.