Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
It depends on the quality of the catch can.

If it can properly create a low pressure area where the oil drops out of the flow stream then they work. If they product hasn't been engineered properly it will not be as effective.

Having a medium on which the oil can coalesce on to is also key - it needs a spot to 'catch' the oil also helping the process of removing oil from the air.

It's a subject of debate. My Damond does accumulate oil, so you be the judge. If you are skeptical, you'll have good company. For me it seems like cheap insurance if it helps reduce the documented carbon build-up on the intake valves.
It is a great item to have on the FiST engine since it is both boosted and dfi. Oil will, yes, build up on the intake valves and reduce engine life and performance. Without gasoline being sprayed on the back of the valves (port injection or other non direct injection) to help clean them this effect can become worse. My catch can gets a few ounces of fuel every time I change the oil, so I consider it a good thing to have

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It is a great item to have on the FiST engine since it is both boosted and dfi. Oil will, yes, build up on the intake valves and reduce engine life and performance. Without gasoline being sprayed on the back of the valves (port injection or other non direct injection) to help clean them this effect can become worse. My catch can gets a few ounces of fuel every time I change the oil, so I consider it a good thing to have
I will also add...there are two cleaner that are Turbo and supercharged safe....CRC Intake cleaner and Sea foam top end cleaner. Both are safe to utilize...food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I will also add...there are two cleaner that are Turbo and supercharged safe....CRC Intake cleaner and Sea foam top end cleaner. Both are safe to utilize...food for thought.

Those cleaners will scratch the surface of significant carbon deposit. I haven't seen anyone do this on a Fist, but on my last car (VW GTI) the method of choice was walnut shell blasting. That's the only way to get the intake ports looking like new.

Anyhow, my Mishimoto OCC catches between 1 and 2 oz every 3-5000 miles. I guess we'll find out in a few years whether or not it is actually working.

I have a friend with a 1st gen Mazdaspeed3 (also DI turbo). ~7x,000 miles or so. No major issues or carbon cleaning yet and no OCC. So some vehicles have issues and some don't I guess.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The ones with biggest issue are with Ze German engines...mostly AUDI/VOLKSWAGEN AND BMW....I'll be utilizing a Spray of either and will scope before and after. It just need to be warmer than 30° here in Mn...it may be a bit but it will be done!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I haven't seen anyone do this on a Fist, but on my last car (VW GTI) the method of choice was walnut shell blasting. That's the only way to get the intake ports looking like new.
A few on here have done that procedure already, and CP-E Mitch on here does it as a service at his company's shop near Baltimore, which is where I will probably go when mine hits ~50K miles or so, since neither the Ford dealers around here, nor even the tuner shops around here that deal with TDI /DI engines can be bothered.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
For some I know its a piece of mind thing. I can spare the coin so I'll end up getting the Damond OCC eventually.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For some I know its a piece of mind thing. I can spare the coin so I'll end up getting the Damond OCC eventually.
Yes, it is not going to prevent much intake valve crud buildup, nor LSPI, but it cannot hurt either. ;)

(WHY I installed a Damond on mine. )

So Mountune just released an OCC, is that any better than the Diamond one? or any worse? It looks like it mounts in the same place the Mishi one does, which worries me a bit because getting in an accident means that that OCC could get crushed and leak hot oil on the engine, which is why I preferred where Diamond has theirs.

Anyone have any input on it? Or if I'm being paranoid and the placement of the OCC doesn't really matter?

So Mountune just released an OCC, is that any better than the Diamond one? or any worse? It looks like it mounts in the same place the Mishi one does, which worries me a bit because getting in an accident means that that OCC could get crushed and leak hot oil on the engine, which is why I preferred where Diamond has theirs.

Anyone have any input on it? Or if I'm being paranoid and the placement of the OCC doesn't really matter?
I'm curious what it is about a Mountune OCC that you prefer over a Damond OCC with the $10 optional sleeves after all that is discussed in this thread? Does the Mountune have a check valve? Does it use year-specific OEM connectors? Why not just buy the Damond, especially if you prefer where it is mounted? I'm not familiar with the Mountune so I'm interested in learning about its strengths. BTW, I can attest that my Damond OCC does trap some oil, so at least I know it works. I don't know if it actually helps prevent intake valve build-up, but it does trap oil.

felopr

I'm curious what it is about a Mountune OCC that you prefer over a Damond OCC with the $10 optional sleeves after all that is discussed in this thread? Does the Mountune have a check valve? Does it use year-specific OEM connectors? Why not just buy the Damond, especially if you prefer where it is mounted? I'm not familiar with the Mountune so I'm interested in learning about its strengths. BTW, I can attest that my Damond OCC does trap some oil, so at least I know it works. I don't know if it actually helps prevent intake valve build-up, but it does trap oil.
For the price of the mountune, the Damond is better price value. Mountune doesnt have a check valve or a drain valve. The sleeve on the Damond is for protecting the hoses from the elements

Because Mountue is partnered with Ford for stuffs. Thats really it. I mean if the difference is a few monies I'd rather go with something that my dealer might not shit their pants at.

That being said, I haven't read this thread fully yet...I do plan on getting an OCC this summer possibly with tax returns, do you have a TL:DR? Is one definitively better than the rest?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Because Mountue is partnered with Ford for stuffs. Thats really it. I mean if the difference is a few monies I'd rather go with something that my dealer might not shit their pants at.

That being said, I haven't read this thread fully yet...I do plan on getting an OCC this summer possibly with tax returns, do you have a TL:DR? Is one definitively better than the rest?
An OCC is not something the dealer will normally have a problem with unless it is defective. If it is they will disconnect it and charge you. If the dealer suspects the OCC is causing a problem they can unplug the Damond, not so with the one Mountune sells. The OCC does not affect the engines performance or emissions standards. That said and a big Mountune fan (MP-215) the Damond has a valve for easy draining, and is plug and play. It also has a check valve but I don't know if that is a big deal on an OCC. Also the one sold by Mountune is not a Mountune product, NOT plug and play and requires cutting factory hoses. The Damond is the best choice for many of us. The main thing is get an OCC.

An OCC is not something the dealer will normally have a problem with unless it is defective. If it is they will disconnect it and charge you. If the dealer suspects the OCC is causing a problem they can unplug the Damond, not so with the one Mountune sells. The OCC does not affect the engines performance or emissions standards. That said and a big Mountune fan (MP-215) the Damond has a valve for easy draining, and is plug and play. It also has a check valve but I don't know if that is a big deal on an OCC. Also the one sold by Mountune is not a Mountune product, NOT plug and play and requires cutting factory hoses. The Damond is the best choice for many of us. The main thing is get an OCC.
All I was looking for, thanks bud!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Damond would take about 60 seconds to disconnect since your original vent hose is not harmed at all. Unplug the OCC and reinstall your original hose. If you remove the hoses from the OCC, the can is just sitting tucked away. If you want to remove it entirely before going to the dealer, one nut will have it off--plus removing the rubber drain hose if you wish.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've had mine installed for 20k with the Blue hoses and black hose sheaths...it's not even noticed.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Is the vent on top worth the extra 25 bucks? I have heard that a vent causes oil smells inside the car but do our cars boost enough to justify it?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

felopr

Is the vent on top worth the extra 25 bucks? I have heard that a vent causes oil smells inside the car but do our cars boost enough to justify it?

I have it, no smell at all, the vent has a check valve also, normally closed. It only opens when boost coming from the crankcase to release the pressure from the catch can. is more of a safety vent

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

No it's not worth it in my opinion...you can get a one way check valve oil cap from..this is the one I have....

https://www.c-f-m.com/performancepa...page=0&pageStyle=h&idcategory=847&VS2=0&VS4=0

felopr