Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dexos oil ok?

There's this 'dexos' certification on engine oil nowadays.
Would you recommend it over just standard (semi) synthetic oil?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF you can find one, the Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils are even a step above the plain old Dexos 1 (or 2) oils, as far as intake deposits and Low Speed Pre Ignition factors are concerned. [wink]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
IF you can find one, the Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils are even a step above the plain old Dexos 1 (or 2) oils, as far as intake deposits and Low Speed Pre Ignition factors are concerned. [wink]
You seem to have a passion for motor oil so I tell people do whatever you say.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
More thinking about 2Dexos. Not sure what gen it is.

Over here they recommend 0W20, on the ST; despite the hot weather.
I have Dexos 5W30 at home, however if I can't use it, I'll buy this one:

Thanks for asking this question and for [MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION] chiming in.

I was just at Walmart to grab a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 for an upcoming oil change and they were out of the normal stuff.

The DexOS label kind of threw up red-flags to me as I was not familiar, so I chose the type they make for extended mileage cars (over 75k on the clock) as it did not have DexOS label emblazoned on the bottle. Also there was slight price difference with the DexOS branded oil costing about 3 dollars more.

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
It appears that GM is recommending Dexos oil on their Ecotec engines;
From what I read so far, Dexos oil seems to be the same as synthetic oil, but with added ingredients.
According to what I read, engines wear out, and certain additives are added to the oil, to prevent some of that wear.
What additives, I don't know.
Someone mentioning that dexos oil looks slightly greener than regular oil (has a more greenish shine to the yellow), which could indicate it has certain green additives.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Dexos labeled oils, especially the Dexos 2 (mostly a European spec), and now the Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils, put much stricter limits on the oil's volatility rates, which helps A LOT to prevent oil mist caused intake valve deposits, and LSPI in turbo direct injection engines. ;)

Yes, they also have a high PPM content anti-wear, anti-friction additive pack as well (albeit NOT a super high ZDDP level, but they make up for this with OTHER anti-wear type additive compounds, like; boron, titanium, etc.).