Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Opinions on General G-MAX AS-05

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Has anybody tried General G-MAX AS-05s? I don't have to deal with snow, so that's not an issue. What am I going to notice the most (positive and/or negative) if I replace the stock Bridgestone's with them?

You'll notice a lot "worse" handling. Less grip pretty much everywhere, it's an all season after all. If you don't need snow traction, why not get a summer tire like the Firestone Indy 500? That also has slightly less overall grip than the Bridgestones, but it's much closer than the Generals would be.

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
You'll notice a lot "worse" handling. Less grip pretty much everywhere, it's an all season after all. If you don't need snow traction, why not get a summer tire like the Firestone Indy 500? That also has slightly less overall grip than the Bridgestones, but it's much closer than the Generals would be.
I am definitely considering another summer tire (the Indy 500, in particular), but the Bridgestones spun this morning in ~36 degree weather. Are the Firestones better in cool weather than the Bridgestones? If so, they'd move to the top of my list.

I've got just under 7K miles on a set of G-Max AS-05's (205/40's on the stock rims) and I'm satisfied with them so far. I live in the Pacific Northwest so it made sense to go with a all season tire since winter temps typically fall below the recommended range for summer tires.
I moved into a new home located up a hill accessed by a somewhat steep gravel road earlier this year. I don't expect the Generals to do to well if/when the snow flies/ice forms but I have a dedicated set of winter tires on spare wheels to swap over to when the time comes.

I have never owned any ultra-high-performance summer tires until buying my '18 Fiesta. The Bridgestones are wonderful . . . in warm weather.

After a week in 40-something degree rain, I am seriously considering mounting some all seasons and moving the Bridgestones over to a new set of factory sized wheels in the spring. They only have 4400 miles.

Ultimate caution is required to be safe on the summer tires in these conditions. Even cold dry mornings reveal how badly matched summer tires are to any temperatures below about 45 degrees.

I've been on these tires for around 25k miles. If you need the all seasons I would definitely recommend them. I have no complaints. That being said, If you can stick with summer tires year round I'd do that. Once I get new wheels come spring time these will be coming off.

a lightweight front wheel drive car with a lot of torque deserves all the traction it can get to not end up being a frustrating experience. If you're going all seasons for year round I would go high end.

Are the Firestones better in cool weather than the Bridgestones? If so, they'd move to the top of my list.
I think this is a very intriguing question that I'd be curious to know as well. I bought my car last October with the Potenzas on them, drove all year, even through light snow (inch-ish), with no issues. A month or so ago, I found a set of factory black wheels with almost new Michelin's on them locally and grabbed them. They seem to have about the same traction in a straight line as the Potenzas did in cooler weather (under 60*). Honestly, I think I will wait on a sale for 16x7s, pair them up with Conti Extreme Sports, and ditch the factory Michelin setup. The stock Potenza setup is already sold. Currently searching locally on CL for a steelie/winter setup, but I don't anticipate on needing them too often if ever down here in the valley especially since I never go up into the mountains.

G.H., your in the Bay Area no? From what I pulled up for "average temps" in your area you'll likely be fine running summer compounds year round so long as you aren't out autocrossing or running hot laps at 6am during December or January. [raceflag]

I put a set of these on my fist a few weeks ago and I think they are fine. They are not as good as summer tires but it isn't summer anymore and it was getting a little sketchy in the colder rainy weather here.

I've had these on my Fiesta for a bit more than 2 years, 45k miles, auto-x. this will be my third winter with them. living in Boston and traveling all over New England. (TL;DR at the bottom)

Pros:
  • They're pretty good for light snow and slush. The most I've dared to drive through was on roads that were poorly plowed after getting ~6" of wet heavy stuff and didn't get stuck or spin out (went very slow), though I did slip. I've never been stuck, or had an issue getting going, stopping or turning, and I live on a hill and worked throughout Providence, RI which is very hilly. Overall considering they're A/S tires, I've been pleased with their snow performance
  • They do not get too hard in the cold, and even seem like they have better grip at the temperature drops.
  • They resist hydroplaning very well, and I feel very confident in nearly all weather conditions and the occasional monsoons we get here.
  • Dry grip is good for street driving.
  • Very reasonably priced. I think the next A/S tires that are comparable cost substantially more.

Cons:
  • Still all seasons; snow/cold performance doesn't even come close to actual winter tires. Any super compact snow, ice, slush or snow deeper than 2" it gets dicey.
  • Dry grip while okay for normal driving, isn't the best. Especially when it's hot out. After tuning the car, this became much more evident. Since tuning, I can spin the wheels all the way through the beginning of third, and not in the cool way.
  • For flat-out perforance, I'd look elsewhere. The g-maxs felt "greasy" in auto-x, every turn was sliding and the tires were constantly screaming for grip. The tires are very soft as it is, and when they got hot, they got just way too soft.
  • Because they are so soft, they do wear out pretty fast. I had my first set for about 35k miles before they were worn nearly to the indicator. (though admittedly I didn't rotate them as much as I should have)

So why do I still have them?
  • For starters, I'm a cheap bastard. Summer/Winter setup is initially expensive, and I just don't want to spend the money on wheels/tires
  • When it snows, whether I have A/S or snow tires I avoid the roads as much as possible in general because I cannot control other drivers or their poor driving/tire decisions. So for the light snow driving I do, these work fine for me.
  • Where I live, between the seasons sometimes isn't ideal for summer/winter setups. The weather on many days start out too cold for summer tires, and end too warm for winters.

TL;DR : They're a great all-season tire and a great price. Good in the cold and in light snow conditions, and great in rain/wet conditions. They've got an adequate amount of dry grip for some mild spirited driving around town, but leave a lot to be desired when pushing the car to the limits. Especially in the auto-x and at WOT. Grip is better cold than hot. It used to fit my needs of Daily Drivin very well, but since tuning and getting into auto-x I'll be switching to a summer/winter set-up as soon as I can. If you can get away with summers year round, do that instead

hopes this helps

Last edited:
OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
G.H., your in the Bay Area no? From what I pulled up for "average temps" in your area you'll likely be fine running summer compounds year round so long as you aren't out autocrossing or running hot laps at 6am during December or January. [raceflag]
I didn't have any problems with the Bridgestones last year, but now that they have ~17k on them, they've lost a little grip even in warm weather. The verdict is still out because out of habit, I turn the ESC off and I didn't do that last year. If they don't spin again with the ESC on, I think they'll be fine.

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys!

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I've had these on my Fiesta for a bit more than 2 years, 45k miles, auto-x. this will be my third winter with them. living in Boston and traveling all over New England. (TL;DR at the bottom)

Pros:
  • They're pretty good up to 3" of snow. The most I've dared to drive through was 5"6" at most and didn't get stuck or spin out (went very slow). I've never been stuck, or had an issue getting going, stopping or turning, and I live on a hill and worked throughout Providence, RI which is very hilly. Overall considering they're A/S tires, I've been pleased with their snow performance
  • They do not get too hard in the cold, and even seem like they have better grip at the temperature drops.
  • They resist hydroplaning very well, and I feel very confident in nearly all weather conditions and the occasional monsoons we get here.
  • Dry grip is good for street driving.
  • Very reasonably priced. I think the next A/S tires that are comparable cost substantially more.

Cons:
  • Still all seasons; snow/cold performance doesn't even come close to actual winter tires. Any super compact snow, ice or snow deeper than 2-3" it gets dicey.
  • Dry grip while okay for normal driving, isn't the best. Especially when it's hot out. After tuning the car, this became much more evident. Since tuning, I can spin the wheels all the way through the beginning of third, and not in the cool way.
  • For flat-out perforance, I'd look elsewhere. The g-maxs felt "greasy" in auto-x, every turn was sliding and the tires were constantly screaming for grip. The tires are very soft as it is, and when they got hot, they got just way too soft.
  • Because they are so soft, they do wear out pretty fast. I had my first set for about 35k miles before they were worn nearly to the indicator. (though admittedly I didn't rotate them as much as I should have)

So why do I still have them?
  • For starters, I'm a cheap bastard. Summer/Winter setup is initially expensive, and I just don't want to spend the money on wheels/tires
  • When it snows, whether I have A/S or snow tires I avoid the roads as much as possible in general because I cannot control other drivers or their poor driving/tire decisions. So for the light snow driving I do, these work fine for me.
  • Where I live, between the seasons sometimes isn't ideal for summer/winter setups. The weather on many days start out too cold for summer tires, and end too warm for winters.

TL;DR : They're a great all-season tire and a great price. Good in the cold and in up to 3" snow, and great in rain/wet conditions. They've got an adequate amount of dry grip for some mild spirited driving around town, but leave a lot to be desired when pushing the car to the limits. Especially in the auto-x and at WOT. Grip is better cold than hot. It used to fit my needs of Daily Drivin very well, but since tuning and getting into auto-x I'll be switching to a summer/winter set-up as soon as I can. If you can get away with summers year round, do that instead

hopes this helps
That helps a LOT. Thank you.

I have never owned any ultra-high-performance summer tires until buying my '18 Fiesta. The Bridgestones are wonderful . . . in warm weather.

After a week in 40-something degree rain, I am seriously considering mounting some all seasons and moving the Bridgestones over to a new set of factory sized wheels in the spring. They only have 4400 miles.

Ultimate caution is required to be safe on the summer tires in these conditions. Even cold dry mornings reveal how badly matched summer tires are to any temperatures below about 45 degrees.
Yes I agree, I have both the 050A's and the g-05's. Car has 2500 miles and i m in NJ so tear my hair out every time I get a new can regarding 2 sets of wheels and tires. Anything below 45 deg. with summer tires gets even dangerous till you get heat in them. Most all seasons are a compromise. The 05 actually feel pretty good in steering feel, softer rise and better cold temp stick below 40 for sure. I was considering the Nitto Neogen which I hear is geared more towards a summer tire that can stick well in the cold with "some" light snow capability. Comp2 AS is good and the AS3+ Mich. Im hoping the Nitto is substantially better in dry cold than those. Wish somebody would do a real comparison in the 20-32 F range. I like to rail in the dry cold. I have a dedicated 4wd so use that when it gets really nasty. Good luck.

42000 miles....

OK, I am an old guy, so I do ask less of my tires. Mostly highway miles driven gently. Occasionally I do notice when driven hard, they do slip under acceleration and hard cornering. But as a compromise, I think they are great! I had to leave to go to work during a snow storm, and I felt very confident in these tires!

G-05's

OK, I am an old guy, so I do ask less of my tires. Mostly highway miles driven gently. Occasionally I do notice when driven hard, they do slip under acceleration and hard cornering. But as a compromise, I think they are great! I had to leave to go to work during a snow storm, and I felt very confident in these tires!
I agree just got back from a 40 degree romp. I'm "old " as well. On my 7th year into retirement. See tire rack snow rating vs. the Comp 2 AS and others. Up in the low 6's thats very good and can't really ask better without going to real snows. Going more performance in an AS is the AS3+ and Comp 2 AS. Snow ratings drop sharply into the mid 3's but go up only .5 to 1.0 on the dry track tests. Also not in our stock size or more importantly overall height. If it really snows bad I have a AWD Durango RT for that. I'll probably go for the Neogens for next winter. Good size choice, a real full tread width tire. Cold weather compound with warm weather tread pattern and more rubber on the road. Wish there was an intensive test on them. I'll use them when temp. is consistently below 50F and extreme summer tires above that. Took me a while to get to this point. Wish the car tire manufacturers would take some rubber formulation pointers from the motorcycle world. Done a lot of that and their tires seem to have a much wider temp. range.

Good luck and have fun !!! Stan [thumb]