Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fact vs. Fiction: Explaining California’s New Exhaust Noise Law

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Be advised that if your car fails smog it will be on record permanently in it's historical data. I know this because my e28 has failed several times and it's recorded. This is important because if an owner who is trying to sell or a buyer who is trying to buy a car information like this can hurt negations $$$ and cause suspicions as to what was done (modifications) to the car to fail. I don't care because I don't plan on selling my e28.

At the end of the day know your mods done to the car, the law, and don't be surprised if you get tagged. Keep it simple by keeping in mind no modifications between intake and CAT can prevent some grief. If you chose to roll the dice, don't cry if your car fails.

Very good point.
However, you can request a PRE-TEST.
This is NOT recorded.
If the car fails you can repair it and come back for the retest.

Dave

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
Very good point.
However, you can request a PRE-TEST.
This is NOT recorded.
If the car fails you can repair it and come back for the retest.

Dave
Not free, I hate throwing money away like that.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Not free, I hate throwing money away like that.

That is why going to a "Pass or Free Re-Test" is a good idea.
You only pay for it once.

Here we have been talking about people that have possibly modified their car.
I would think the cost of a smog test would be cheap enough to not get caught.

Dave

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #44
That is why going to a "Pass or Free Re-Test" is a good idea.
You only pay for it once.

Here we have been talking about people that have possibly modified their car.
I would think the cost of a smog test would be cheap enough to not get caught.

Dave
I already do that with my cars and plan on it for the FiST.

However, a Pre-Test is not free.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I already do that with my cars and plan on it for the FiST.

However, a Pre-Test is not free.
Correct, a Pre-Test is not free.
However if you ask, it can be counted as the first test and you still only pay for one test.

Dave

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Some older cars fall into the Star Station only slot my M3 is in that category. As it has failed in the past only to pass after changing the oil for instance. In fact BMW’s being oil burners stock are prone to failing at the tip of a hat. That is of course most of the older models say E46 and back. Not sure about newer ones would not be surprised though. Lol

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
I guess I'm lucky that my e28 burns little to no oil. The M30 motor is very stout with a 22 year production run. 217,000 miles on the odo and dependable.

Mikey456

@ koozy has brought up very good points and to that I do agree.
Any modifications could raise questions and a Smog Check Inspector could fail your car.
The point I have been tiring to make is that the consumer has rights too.

The enforcement agency for Smog Check is the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) however, the second half of their name is the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA).

I did email the BAR/DCA and asked the question.
The only issue is that I was referring to the Smog Check Reference Guide, (appendix G) and he is referring to the Smog Check Manual (appendix C).
Both of these are the SAME chart as was posted on the first page of this thread.
You will also see that it is hard to get the correct answer unless you force them to look it up, I have had this problem before as well.

The last response is the important one and what I have been saying.

Here are the emails:

Sent: Friday, January 25, 2019 9:25 PM
To: Bareditor@DCA <bareditor@dca.ca.gov>
Subject: OIL Catch Can

I am a private citizen and just want clarification.
Is it legal to install an after market oil separator (catch can) inline with the PCV system on a 2014 turbocharged vehicle, maintaining the closed PVC system?
Thank you,
Dave Lefevre

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 8:05 AM
To: Dave Lefevre <D1JL@xxxxxxxxxxxx.com>
Subject: RE: OIL Catch Can

Good Morning,
If the add on accessory has an Executive Order number then it should be ok. If not, it may fail a smog check for “Modified”.
Bar Editor

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 8:10 AM
To: Bareditor@DCA <bareditor@dca.ca.gov>

Thank you for your response.
However, in the Smog Check Reference Guide, appendix G says that Oil Separators do not require an Executive Order Number.
So I am confused.
Dave Lefevre

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 8:45 AM
To: Dave Lefevre <d1jl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com>

Dave,
Appendix G deals with Catalytic Converters, but appendix C does state that an oil separator/filter is exempted from an EO number. Be prepared that if not installed correctly, it may fail for visual.
Bar Editor

I hope this clears things up.

Dave
Thanks for checking up on this topic on the catch can. I find his last words “I hope this clears things up”...ironic. LOL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Oil change is not the problem I ever found with BMWs.
I found that those cars would cool down very quickly.
You should warm up the car (run at about 2500 RPM for a minute) setting on the dyno just before the test is started, this is only to make sure that the car is at normal operating temperature and not to superheat the CAT.

You see the last years of my employment as a Smog Tech, was at a Test only Station and we offered Re-Test Free.
So it was better for me to pass the car the first time.
Again I think that the oil change is just a gimmick that the test stations can use to make more money.

That was the part I hated about my job, shop owners always wanted me to sell things that the customer did not need.

Dave

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I guess I'm lucky that my e28 burns little to no oil. The M30 motor is very stout with a 22 year production run. 217,000 miles on the odo and dependable.
Ya S50’s and S52’s aka E36 M3 has always been known to burn oil even new. They run a long time they just consume oil. About a 1/2 to a quart every 3k or so.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
BTW:
Selling you an oil change on your BMW does not fix the car to pass smog, although it can't hurt.
What oil that may be in the CAT is still there, it is heating up the CAT to burn the oil out is what does the trick as I stated above.

Burning oil will however, does contaminate the O2 sensor, requiring changing more often.

I did this for a long time and I learned a lot of tricks.

Dave

Dpro

6000 Post Club
BTW:
Selling you an oil change on your BMW does not fix the car to pass smog, although it can't hurt.
What oil that may be in the CAT is still there, it is heating up the CAT to burn the oil out is what does the trick as I stated above.

Burning oil will however, does contaminate the O2 sensor, requiring changing more often.

I did this for a long time and I learned a lot of tricks.

Dave
Lol no sold an oil change to do it. I did the oil change and it passed. Its ( my M3) required to got to Star stations only now which are test only.
Also I have known about the heating up the cat trick for years. I have been around the block a few times lol .
I had to deal with getting Nissan 240sx’s to pass, I know quote few tricks to turn a dirty car into a clean car. I only bought and sold a lot. Lol

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I may have misunderstood.
In case you don't know, most Test Only Stations CAN now sell oil changes, air filters, and gas caps.

Dave

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I may have misunderstood.
In case you don't know, most Test Only Stations CAN now sell oil changes, air filters, and gas caps.

Dave
Thats news to me a good friend of my friend operated a Star Station in Van Nuys up till a year or so ago. He never offered any of that. I used to take all my cars to him for smogs. He did offer DMV services towards the end before he sold the business.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thats news to me a good friend of my friend operated a Star Station in Van Nuys up till a year or so ago. He never offered any of that. I used to take all my cars to him for smogs. He did offer DMV services towards the end before he sold the business.

I am not 100% sure if this is still going on but it did start just before I left the business.
It was at regular Test Only Stations, not STAR as far as I know.
It was also voluntary of the station (nothing mandatory).
I know the station I worked at offered it when it was allowed to make more money.

Dave

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am not 100% sure if this is still going on but it did start just before I left the business.
It was at regular Test Only Stations, not STAR as far as I know.
It was also voluntary of the station (nothing mandatory).
I know the station I worked at offered it when it was allowed to make more money.

Dave
Ya thats not going on at Star stations as far as I have seen, Not only that but I am ptretty sure they are making test only stations go Star as they eliminated all the other designations.

IThey might be able to sell oil changes but I have not seen any doing that. Not only that but when your test only reg paperwork comes it always now requires a Star station.

I know this because the last three times my BMW needed to be smogged I was required to go to a Star station.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
found this:

A STAR station smog check is smog check done at a station that is closely monitored by the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. The BAR has a higher standard for vehicle smog checks than other stations.
The STAR program was instituted in California in 2013. When certain drivers receive their vehicle registration renewal notice from the DMV, they may also see a note instructing them to get certification at a STAR station.
Vehicles that previously failed a smog check, have a high chance of failing or are one of a random sample of vehicles are chosen to have a smog check by a STAR station. Inspections performed at a STAR station cost more than a regular smog inspection.
There are two types of STAR stations: STAR Test Only Centers only inspect the vehicle, while STAR Test and Repair stations test and repair any problems that are found.

Dave

Dpro

6000 Post Club
found this:

A STAR station smog check is smog check done at a station that is closely monitored by the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. The BAR has a higher standard for vehicle smog checks than other stations.
The STAR program was instituted in California in 2013. When certain drivers receive their vehicle registration renewal notice from the DMV, they may also see a note instructing them to get certification at a STAR station.
Vehicles that previously failed a smog check, have a high chance of failing or are one of a random sample of vehicles are chosen to have a smog check by a STAR station. Inspections performed at a STAR station cost more than a regular smog inspection.
There are two types of STAR stations: STAR Test Only Centers only inspect the vehicle, while STAR Test and Repair stations test and repair any problems that are found.

Dave
Interesting and fucked up. They are profiling cars to get them off the road. I know for a fact they made fthe percentages to possibly fail lower so it would fail cars that also previously passed in years past.

Their whole goal is a far left pro active move to get old cars and ICE ( internal combustion Engine lol)vehicles off the road. If they had it their way se would all be driving electric vehicles.
Never mind the fact that farm equipment , diesel vehicles including ships idling in ports ( ships never turn their engines off) are spewing more pollution than cars currently.
This whole state is getting a little ridiculous . Lol

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
[MENTION=8838]Dpro[/MENTION], I agree with you.
However, I know this thread is not a pollical statement, so when you speak of ICE vehicles, I know you mean trucks that transport frozen water.

I may not always be correct but I am always right.

Dave