Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.1%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters
Mine just kicked the bucket 60,542 km's. I'll have to order it in and do it. No point taking it to the dealer

I have to go into work tomorrow on a Sunday(yeah fun right?) for inventory so I can get the part numbers for all the blend doors and diagram if needed.

EDIT: Just for future comers. Here are part numbers taken off from my 2017 VIN

Inlet door: BE8Z-19E616-A
Temperature Blend door: AV1Z-19E616-K
Mode Control: BE8Z-19E616-B
[?|] '14 with 35k miles and this started tap tap tapping this morning. Warranty is up so no beuno. Seems like it's on the drivers side behind stop/start button...

So the consensus is YH1896(BE8Z19E616B)(oem @$5.90) or DORMAN 604400(BE8Z19E616B)($20.79) for the Drivers side or AV1Z-19E616-K(Passenger side)?
Just quoting these so I can search them up later

I went into my dash a couple days ago to replace the driver's side actuator, but it didn't fix the problem. The first red flag was when the mfg. date on the old motor was newer than the replacement. Opened it up and everything was fine inside, no broken teeth or anything.

The next step would be to replace the passenger's side, right?

Also, are there any tips on how to diagnose problems with temp sensors? I'm having an issue where it seems the heat is either all the way on or all the way off. Eg, it'll be 36 outside and I'll set the internal temperature to 68. It comes on full heat, which is a bit excessive, so I turn it down to 63 or something, at which point it's coming in feeling closer to ambient. It's happening on the driver's side, which is why I don't think it's anything to do with the blend door, unless the passenger's side motor affects both sides of the car.

Last edited:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Obviously, YMMV. Not worth going to dealership. If this is indeed the one actuator that seems to fail on everybody.
How long does it take to repair at the dealer usually? My dealer doesn't do loaners, so trying to see if it will cost me a rental.
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My BFs just went out on his 2017 with 37,500 miles on it. I was going to swap it with mine, but since they aren't expensive new and I've already got his out I'm just going to buy a new one for him and throw it back in. No point in going to the dealer if I don't have to.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
here's 2 temp sensors worth looking at if you're already in there swapping the blend door motor.
Thanks koozy. I'll have to order those too...been putting replacing this too long now but maybe it's a good thing since I'll be also replacing those.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
How long does it take to repair at the dealer usually? My dealer doesn't do loaners, so trying to see if it will cost me a rental.
The dealer I took it to used about 2 hours of time from the start of my appointment until they handed me my remote fob.

I know that most on here claim it takes no longer than a half hour or so to do, but since when would a dealer pass up the pay for the full allotted time for this job from Ford?! LOL

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
so mine clicks like that, but still works fine. should I replace or just wait until the heat stop entirely before I bother?
Define "fine". When it clicks, it means that gear mechanism isn't working, a tooth or two are missing, and the cog is likely slipping in place.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
The clicking is frequently just at the startup. It doesn't shut down heating or cooling either. It is about whether or not the air is distributed the way it is supposed to be, as far as I understand.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
The clicking is frequently just at the startup. It doesn't shut down heating or cooling either. It is about whether or not the air is distributed the way it is supposed to be, as far as I understand.
For me, it also depends on your settings. If my climate control is set to face only, completely off, or if the auto setting is blowing to face only it clicks. Any other setting and it doesn't click. But regardless what setting I use, it always clicks a few minutes after I turn the motor off.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

gotcha, yes it is at start up. and my ac and heat and all of that still function 100%, it just clicks.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
If you don't see any difference and the clicking doesn't bother you, that's fine. I feel compelled to replace something like that - and, given how cheap the part is and the fact that it takes half an hour to replace, it's a no brainier. Wouldn't even bother with the dealer if it's under warranty.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you don't see any difference and the clicking doesn't bother you, that's fine. I feel compelled to replace something like that - and, given how cheap the part is and the fact that it takes half an hour to replace, it's a no brainier. Wouldn't even bother with the dealer if it's under warranty.
It is cold out, and I don't have a place to work on it right now, so I let the dealer fix it this time. ;)

When it happens again, I will probably do it myself.

BTW; My HVAC also seemed to function just fine as well when it had the clacking, and if I left the system on when I shut down the engine, it would make no noises upon the next startup. If I turned the HVAC completely off, yes, it would make the 3 sets of 4 clacks each on startup.

A month of ownership and 16k miles and mine has started clicking. Happened when the temps dropped to the single digits.
I think I'll just fix it myself as I really don't have the time to take it to dealer (long explanation).
I always laughed at my buddy having to change his BDA in his F150. Always wondered how I never even heard of any car needing the BDA replaced and then Ford cars it seems to need it done with every oil change.

A month of ownership and 16k miles and mine has started clicking. Happened when the temps dropped to the single digits.
I think I'll just fix it myself as I really don't have the time to take it to dealer (long explanation).
I always laughed at my buddy having to change his BDA in his F150. Always wondered how I never even heard of any car needing the BDA replaced and then Ford cars it seems to need it done with every oil change.
it took me less time to replace it myself than it would have taken to just drive to the dealership.