Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ignition correction issues

I have a 2014 fiesta st only mods done to it are a cobb accessport with a stage 1 91 oct ots tune and a muffler delete.
Tried doing my spark plugs this weekend but had a hell of a time getting them out. We had to grind down a 5/8 socket to be able to reach the spark plugs otherwise the socket would catch on the walls and not seat onto the spark plug. Got the stock fomoco plugs out and tried putting the recommended ngk plugs in and it ran like crap because i gapped them with a circular tool instead of feel gauges. So i took them out and reinstalled the stock ones. Currently I've been experiencing the engine pulling back timing regularly under boost to -3.45 at most but usually around -2.50. This is during 3rd gear wot and above pulls. Put the ecu back to the stock tune and it pulls timing back to -1.75. Should I regap the ngks and put them in at 0.26 gap or just replace with stock reccomended plugs?

I dont mean to sound rude but you need to get the proper tools first. Spark plug sockets are $3,and feeler gauges are like $6-$12.

If you didn't have a feeler gauge, how were you able to verify the gap?

Without a spark plug socket you could have damaged the plugs while attempting to install them.

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
I dont mean to sound rude but you need to get the proper tools first. Spark plug sockets are $3,and feeler gauges are like $6-$12.

If you didn't have a feeler gauge, how were you able to verify the gap?

Without a spark plug socket you could have damaged the plugs while attempting to install them.
Used a ground down 5/8 socket to get the plugs out because the clearances were too tight on the walls where the spark plugs sit. Tried to set the gap with a circular spark plug tool. Fixed the problem with regapping the ngk plugs and now no issues.

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
Tried using a spark plug socket and it would not fit down far enough because it was too wide. Grabbed a new spark plug socket ground it down to the same specs as the 5/8s socket and it works just fine.

dmb

A simple way to grind a socket is to put it on a drill press turn it on and take a grinder to it, nice and smooth, a hand drill and a ext will work with a bench grinder also but more work. poor mans lathe

dmb

oh do you mean a regular plug socket will work? here i thought that they would not fit. I've made many a tool that required grinding/welding on trucks and heavy equipment in the shop or out in the field, got the scar's to prove it. but i got smarter the older i got. thank God.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
oh do you mean a regular plug socket will work? here i thought that they would not fit. I've made many a tool that required grinding/welding on trucks and heavy equipment in the shop or out in the field, got the scar's to prove it. but i got smarter the older i got. thank God.
You need a thin wall plug socket.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I have three or four standard 5/8 spark plug sockets and they all fit in just fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
I had to buy a deep spark plug socket for the EcoBoost motors. My regular spark plug sockets would not work. Too think to fit all the way down like others have had issues with.