Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hat is off to Ford Fiesta ST Engineers!!!

Ford engineers did an incredible job with the ST. I would like to tell them that, though not sure exactly how to communicate with them.

In any case I am 52, been driving cars and bikes fast since I legally could. I currently have a 2019 Subaru STI, and also a GSXR 750 sport bike that I track. I recently bought a new 2018 Fiesta ST with a nice $3,000 rebate, and now have over 3,000 miles on it, bone stock. This car hauls ass and is incredibly well balanced. I can't believe I finally can like a car with front wheel drive.

For a $18,500 - $19,000 car it has essentially no weaknesses I can complain about. The ergonomics, suspension, handling, power delivery, braking, steering, shifting, clutching, gear ratios, and visibility are terrific. The only short coming I have found is that since the car is capable of negotiating twisty road at such high speed that nighttime visibility around corners is lacking. The lights are good both in spectrum and output, but more light is needed to the left and right, or steering responsive lights like my STI has are needed.

This car really has its advantages. My favorite roads would make good rally stages, they are twisty, change elevation, and are bumpy. Not only does the car handle great with a wide spread of smooth power, but the light weight and suspension tuning allow it to hammer through dips that that are quite upsetting to my (stock) STI.

It is a real shame this car hasn't been widely discovered in the USA and hasn't been a big sales hit. I just stumbled across it by dumb luck recently when looking at Ford's website to see Raptors. I had no idea Ford was making boosted Fiesta or Focus STs. I had 3 Focuses in past years and turbo charged one, but got out of them before Ford started selling them boosted. Any how after researching the Fiesta ST some, I took the plunge with a bit of apprehension and couldn't have ended up more pleased.

I routinely end up laughing while hammering the car, it is just ridiculous how much performance is in this "little eco-shitbox". I never would have expected it, and am sure most others don't either. This thing is FAST on twisty backroad!

Job well done to the Ford Fiesta ST design crew - seriously you should be commended. You "get it". You guys are driving enthusiasts and it shows in the car. You got it right. Thank You!

OP
W
Thread Starter #2
Oh and everyone is of course free to their own opinion, but not going to lie, I think the sound symposer is badass. I LOVE that sound when really getting after it.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Welcome, a lot of us remove the sound symposer in favor of a nice aftermarket exhaust we can here.

Plus if you do a tune it has been know to leak at higher boost levels. Some do keep it though. I did not dislike mine but do prefer sounds from the back and turbo noise compared to symposer sound.

Stock Ford did a lot to muffle the Turbo and blow off valve which for owning a Turbo car kind defeats some of the fun of it. I like hearing the whoosh and the blow off of a Turbo charged vehicle.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ford engineers did an incredible job with the ST. I would like to tell them that, though not sure exactly how to communicate with them.

In any case I am 52, been driving cars and bikes fast since I legally could. I currently have a 2019 Subaru STI, and also a GSXR 750 sport bike that I track. I recently bought a new 2018 Fiesta ST with a nice $3,000 rebate, and now have over 3,000 miles on it, bone stock. This car hauls ass and is incredibly well balanced. I can't believe I finally can like a car with front wheel drive.

For a $18,500 - $19,000 car it has essentially no weaknesses I can complain about. The ergonomics, suspension, handling, power delivery, braking, steering, shifting, clutching, gear ratios, and visibility are terrific. The only short coming I have found is that since the car is capable of negotiating twisty road at such high speed that nighttime visibility around corners is lacking. The lights are good both in spectrum and output, but more light is needed to the left and right, or steering responsive lights like my STI has are needed.

This car really has its advantages. My favorite roads would make good rally stages, they are twisty, change elevation, and are bumpy. Not only does the car handle great with a wide spread of smooth power, but the light weight and suspension tuning allow it to hammer through dips that that are quite upsetting to my (stock) STI.

It is a real shame this car hasn't been widely discovered in the USA and hasn't been a big sales hit. I just stumbled across it by dumb luck recently when looking at Ford's website to see Raptors. I had no idea Ford was making boosted Fiesta or Focus STs. I had 3 Focuses in past years and turbo charged one, but got out of them before Ford started selling them boosted. Any how after researching the Fiesta ST some, I took the plunge with a bit of apprehension and couldn't have ended up more pleased.

I routinely end up laughing while hammering the car, it is just ridiculous how much performance is in this "little eco-shitbox". I never would have expected it, and am sure most others don't either. This thing is FAST on twisty backroad!

Job well done to the Ford Fiesta ST design crew - seriously you should be commended. You "get it". You guys are driving enthusiasts and it shows in the car. You got it right. Thank You!
I will agree with you on quit a bit with what you have said especially about it being a Hidden Gem....there are a lot of vehicles that are hidden I own 2 hidden GEMS now....I probly never would've heard of a FiST until I saw one and thought it was a focus from a distance.....but as I got closer and thought dam that thing is small....Its a Fuc*ing Ford Fiesta St? What the hell is that? Went to the dealer....took it on an extended "Test" drive.......then walked in sat down and it was done I was a FiST owner until I die! [party]

I had a “regular” Fiesta 5 speed for a few years before getting the FiST, Ford built a bloody amazing platform. That car was almost as fun as the ST, driving 8/10ths and not risking my license...

The ST is just, more of that wizardry.

It’s too bad the platform is being banished back outside our North American fence. Apparently, the new Fiesta is even more brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It's an absolutely great car and for how much they cost it's just unbelievable. I believe Richard Hammond said if you don't buy one you're just plain stupid.

"I spend most of my life whizzing hither and thither in exotica made from platinum and rhodium and fitted with engines that roar and bellow and spit fire. And all I want on the way home is a Ford Fiesta ST.” Jeremy Clarkson
If that endorsement is not enough for you well you're just not a true car guy.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Totally agree- I traded a 2016 WRX for my 2017. I like it better than the WRX! It's great on twisty roads and the handling/road feel is impeccable to me for a 17K car. Yes and it is very comfortable and ergonomic too- I fit perfectly with the long range telescoping steering for my long 34" inseam legs. The only draw back to me is straight line acceleration from a standing start- and first gear is so short- have to really step on it to keep up with lead foots at the lights.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I also agree, this is a wonderful and extremely fun car.I like it more than the E90 M3 that I had previously, that car was obviously faster in a straight line, but this car is much more fun to drive, and the performance is a lot more accessible. It has better steering and a better gearbox.
When I first saw the car, it seemed too dinky, but as I thought about it I remembered that weight is the enemy of performance, so small is better. This is something that's often forgotten in the modern world of performance, where bigger is supposed to be better. It's what you might call a less-is-more car.
I first started taking it seriously when I saw the guys from Top Gear raving about it, then a friend of mine who is a lifelong mechanic and hardcore car guy was very enthusiastic about the car. I then started reading about it, and all the traditional car magazines I have been reading since I was a little kid loved it, I went and test drove it, and that was that.
I got it new for a little over $22,000 out the door with the Recaros and the moonroof, which is not the ultimate low deal of all time, but pretty damn cheap for this much car. It's also cheap to run,getting decent gas mileage for a quick car. Mine is fairly new so I haven't had to do much to it, but in looking at parts, they're less than half what they were for the M3.
One way to contact the Ford engineers might be through Ford Performance, that is the branch of Ford that was heavily involved in developing the car.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I also agree, this is a wonderful and extremely fun car.I like it more than the E90 M3 that I had previously, that car was obviously faster in a straight line, but this car is much more fun to drive, and the performance is a lot more accessible. It has better steering and a better gearbox.
When I first saw the car, it seemed too dinky, but as I thought about it I remembered that weight is the enemy of performance, so small is better. This is something that's often forgotten in the modern world of performance, where bigger is supposed to be better. It's what you might call a less-is-more car.
I first started taking it seriously when I saw the guys from Top Gear raving about it, then a friend of mine who is a lifelong mechanic and hardcore car guy was very enthusiastic about the car. I then started reading about it, and all the traditional car magazines I have been reading since I was a little kid loved it, I went and test drove it, and that was that.
I got it new for a little over $22,000 out the door with the Recaros and the moonroof, which is not the ultimate low deal of all time, but pretty damn cheap for this much car. It's also cheap to run,getting decent gas mileage for a quick car. Mine is fairly new so I haven't had to do much to it, but in looking at parts, they're less than half what they were for the M3.
One way to contact the Ford engineers might be through Ford Performance, that is the branch of Ford that was heavily involved in developing the car.
Actually just ove 22k out the door is pretty damn good. Thats what my 18 cost me. It was $19678 tri coat paint, Recaros, Ebony wheels red calipers. Thats about the same equipment costs as yours. Our state sales tax really takes a bite in purchase costs.

Oh and ya I do not have any plans on getting rid of this little gem. This is not one of those cars you buy own 2 years and sell. In fact it blows my mind when I see some people doing that.

I will buy other cars and when people see my FiST I will be oh ya thats the car I go drive like an absolute lunatic when I am bored. Lol

GTP

I too am 51 and I have had about 37 cars in my lifetime-all of them tuned, tweaked and modded. I would have NEVER guessed that a FIESTA of all things would find a way to be so dynamically superior in it's execution and suspensions settings, transmission gearing, shift/gear box, the feel of the Recaro seats and presentation of the driving position. Sure there are other cars that do one or many other things BETTER. But this little gem punches WAY above its weight class for power, handling and the "IT" factor. It is indeed a FANTASTIC drug. The noises, the feel, the little bouncy thing it does over bumps without doing it in a BAD way, makes to want to rip it.

It whispers to you to c'mon man-feed me.... MAN-SEND IT!!

If like me ( or maybe I have weirded everyone out by this point) :) you find yourself bogged down in traffic-no problem, BWAAA grab a couple of gears and motor around Felix in his A-to-B car and mad road rager in her Mini Van. It shoot gaps like Marcus Allen on the goal line. Other cars are like BIG traffic cones on my slalom to work! You don't have to drive like an idiot to enjoy it, but that symposer sound kinda eggs you on! When you rip a good shift and hear it buuurrrrrble at you like "AH YEAH MY GUY- GIVE IT MORE this is what I AM about".

And the crazy thing is you can drive and hustle it at 6/10ths and other cars, drivers and vehicles are pedaling furiously to just keep you in sight on a twisty road. The perfect place for this little bean, in my opinion, is a 40-60 mph twisty mountain style road and I can venture to say that a FIESTA ST driven in anger will walk away and hide from just about anything. And the driver won't arrive a sweaty nervous mess-but rather grinning like the Cheshire cat who stole the BEST car value of our modern age.

G in PA having fun.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'm still trying to find an interview with the Fiesta suspension/chassis/handling dynamics engineer (it's been 5yrs. now), but here's one with a test driver/engineer lapping.

[video=youtube;H-KempOrImw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KempOrImw[/video]

I have a slightly different take. Life has been good enough to let me have a STI and a FiST side by side for over a year. I must admit, as good as the FiST is, it just isn't an STI. The STI to me is more fun in everything but slow town traffic. Much of this discussion depends on your commute and local driving roads. I live in a more or less rural area. I won't get rid of the FiST as it really is just too fun and cheap. Gas and insurance are both about half for the FiST. Having both lets me appreciate both as they are unique and enjoyable. I'm glad to have to make the difficult choice of which one to drive!

For the price, a FiST is an unbeatable car. It really was too good to be and Ford killed it here in the land of the free to drive an SUV.
The STI is just so much fun always and forever. Purchase and running costs are high and that takes some joy away.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
.......... only short coming I have found is that since the car is capable of negotiating twisty road at such high speed that nighttime visibility around corners is lacking. The lights are good both in spectrum and output, but more light is needed to the left and right, or steering responsive lights like my STI has are needed. ................
There's an entire thread about LEDs. The fogs with some LEDs will give you some additional side visibility.

........... real shame this car hasn't been widely discovered in the USA and hasn't been a big sales hit. I just stumbled across it by dumb luck recently .........
Ford hasn't advertised its non-large line of vehicles through traditional channels in many years. Don't advertise, don't sell. Meanwhile they advertise the heck out of those F150s and guess what? I only found out about it by going directly to the website also. Only after that, did I go digging for more info on it and run into the many positive reviews. I also research cars via forums, LOOKING FOR PROBLEMS and defects prior to purchase and guess what? I'm an owner.

....... when looking at Ford's website to see Raptors. ...........
So you skipped a huge vehicle to go smaller... or are you still looking to pickup that Raptor?

Ford blew it by not advertising. I too found it by accident. I was looking for a cheap econo car and bought a regular fiesta. After getting it home and stated looking around for stuff to do to it, I found that they made an ST. One test drive and had to sell the regular fiesta and buy an ST.
I always drove big cars and trucks, but this thing is just fun to drive. You can't just putt to the store. Corners at 40mph just because you can. Way too much fun.

I would of never found out about this car if it weren't for getting to drive someone's Focus ST in 2015. I didn't think anything of it but I just gave it some gas in 1st and then up to 2nd, more gas, and I was sucked into the back of the recaros and was spinning tires and I wasn't even 50% throttle. It's been in the back of my mind since then, and fast forward now, I just ended up with a Fiesta ST a few months ago.

OP
W
Thread Starter #16
Ford hasn't advertised its non-large line of vehicles through traditional channels in many years. Don't advertise, don't sell. Meanwhile they advertise the heck out of those F150s and guess what? I only found out about it by going directly to the website also. Only after that, did I go digging for more info on it and run into the many positive reviews. I also research cars via forums, LOOKING FOR PROBLEMS and defects prior to purchase and guess what? I'm an owner.

So you skipped a huge vehicle to go smaller... or are you still looking to pickup that Raptor?
I looked for problems too and found, compared to other vehicles, the Fiesta ST seems to be pretty trouble free.

I really want a Raptor but I will not pay over MSRP for a vehicle. Heck, I have never payed MSRP for a vehicle. I was looking for a second, fun vehicle. The only thing I was really after in the Raptor was the wheel travel as I like speed with my dirt. I am actually not too crazy about pickups in general, nor do I need the cargo hauling capability. Turns out the Fiesta hits that fun button well enough for now, while cheap to buy and operate too.

I’m 49 and saw the FiST run At SCCA solo nationals running in H street and felt it would be a good daily with the Apple play and a great starter autocross car for my son.

It’s crazy how great the little car is.

The other race cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
Still having a hard time finding that interview with the lead chassis/handling/power train engineer back in ~2013.

If anyone cares to want to hunt for it, it was in German with English text available. If anyone is wondering why in German, well because the FiST was design/developed mainly in Germany.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This little rocket is SOOOO effing great that I often wonder why so many on here are willing to, and just itching to/falling all over themselves to 'jump ship' to the Type R, or the soon to be out, Veloster N. [dunno]

I test drove a slushbox equipped, 2.0 NA Veloster today (the ONLY versions that the Hyundai dealers around here stock), to take advantage of their $50.00 debit card offer mailer, and all I can say is that it might maybe make for a decent rental car. LOL (I will say that I liked the small diameter steering wheel though, I will give it THAT.)

Of course, comparing the N to what I drove today would be like comparing our rides to a base, DCT disaster equipped base Fiesta, so they will call me when they get their 2 allocated Ns in (yup, they are doing that 'NO ordering', limited allocation, try to keep the demand sky high, posturing it as some sort of an exotic, BULLSHIT with those cars. [:(]) to test drive one.

They wanted to get me to put a deposit down on one to 'reserve it', but I told them that I refuse to do that without driving one first. ;)

The manager did let me see the window sticker for the first one they will get in supposedly ~2 weeks time (but sans any pricing on it!), and I did NOT see any limited slip listed as either an option, or standard equipment (since I know that many were speculating about just that on here), unless it is included in the listed handling package, and not stated as a stand alone feature.

It is a much bigger/heavier car though, so no matter HOW 'great' it actually is on that test ride, I would NOT take it over even a stock FiST, let alone one modded to my liking (and I personally think the Veloster is FUGLY as well, in silhouette, AND with that 3 door thing).

This little rocket is SOOOO effing great that I often wonder why so many on here are willing, and itching to 'jump ship' to the Type R, or the soon to be out, Veloster N. [dunno]

I test drove a slushbox equipped, 2.0 NA Veloster today (the ONLY versions that the Hyundai dealers around here stock), to take advantage of their $50.00 debit card offer mailer, and all I can say is that it might maybe make for a decent rental car. LOL

Of course, comparing the N to what I drove today would be like comparing our rides to a base, DCT disaster equipped base Fiesta, so they will call me when they get their 2 allocated Ns in (yup, they are doing that 'NO ordering', limited allocation BULLSHIT with those cars. [:(]) to test drive one.

They wanted to get me to put a deposit down on one to 'reserve it', but I told them that I refuse to do that without driving one first. ;)

The manager did let me see the window sticker for the first one they will get in supposedly ~2 weeks time (but sans any pricing on it!), and I did NOT see any limited slip listed as either an option, or standard equipment (since I know that many were speculating about just that on here), unless it is included in the listed handling package, and not stated as a stand alone feature.

It is a much bigger/heavier car though, so no matter HOW 'great' it actually is on that test ride, I would NOT take it over even a stock FiST, let alone one modded to my liking (and I personally think the Veloster is FUGLY as well, in silhouette, AND with that 3 door thing).
I also had a DCT 2011 Fiesta. It was much fun! Mine also was one of the ones that didn’t break.

If you’re keeping track, yes, I’ve had three Fiesta...

DCT, IB5, ST...

I must like them...

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni