Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wheel-Hop with AWR RMM Normal?

Hey Everyone,

In the summer I installed my 70A AWR RMM and was initially very happy with the product and its effects on the car's feel and behavior.

We have had some cold days recently, and many of you know that stock tires in cold temps + 2nd gear pull + Stage 3 tune = traction loss. Basically if I lose traction when it is wet or dry, I get very noticable wheel-hop.

Is wheel hop with the motor mount installed normal? I thought it was supposed to eliminate it?

A RMM cuts it down prob by over half but like the others have said- cold/wet can still happen though. Getting the powerflex side motor mount inserts will reduce the the hop down even more, to almost none. I already had the AWR 70 RMM, but when I got the 6 point brace- ALL wheel hop/torque steer disapeared. I'm stock turbo though.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I also live in North Carolina and with some of the mornings we have it's definitely too cold to be running summer tires.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I have the 88a Durometer AWR and Im very happy with how it performs. It definitely helped to subdue the wheel hop. But under any changing conditions anything could happen. The 70a bushing isnt much of a step up over stock really. An as they wear in they get soft. Most people say this about others like a Cobb or Mountune. Stiff at first then much softer after broken in. The 88a is stiff and has remained pretty stiff with probably close to 12k on it already.

I have the 88a Durometer AWR and Im very happy with how it performs. It definitely helped to subdue the wheel hop. But under any changing conditions anything could happen. The 70a bushing isnt much of a step up over stock really. An as they wear in they get soft. Most people say this about others like a Cobb or Mountune. Stiff at first then much softer after broken in. The 88a is stiff and has remained pretty stiff with probably close to 12k on it already.
Yep- my 70 has kinda lost its new feel- now I wish I would have went 88.

I bet you just got used to it and now push the car harder. A front brace helps with wheelhop a lot I found.

Good to hear! As I have mine sitting in the box awaiting for me to install it! [biggrin]
Careful! I have the MBRP Hot Side pipe and when i put mine on i had to have a independent shop dent the round bolt area of the Pierce front lower tie bar to clear that pipe. When first installed they touched and created a real bad vibration through the whole chassis. Now all is well though with just about an 1/8" of clearance

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Careful! I have the MBRP Hot Side pipe and when i put mine on i had to have a independent shop dent the round bolt area of the Pierce front lower tie bar to clear that pipe. When first installed they touched and created a real bad vibration through the whole chassis. Now all is well though with just about an 1/8" of clearance
I have The Garrett Hot pipe due to my 2860....this will be interesting

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
A RMM cuts it down prob by over half but like the others have said- cold/wet can still happen though. Getting the powerflex side motor mount inserts will reduce the the hop down even more, to almost none. I already had the AWR 70 RMM, but when I got the 6 point brace- ALL wheel hop/torque steer disapeared. I'm stock turbo though.
Powerflex side inserts (street), 75a Torque Solution RMM and 2 pt traction bar and I was directed to this thread because I still get wheel hop, especially on e30 in the cold/wet... Sounds like the 6 pt is where the biggest difference is!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It's likely just because the temps are too cold for the tires to stick, honestly. A RMM upgrade can mitigate wheel hop, but it's not going to outright eliminate it in all condition types.

If you want even better results you can look into a RMM with a higher durometer (most people with the AWR seem to go for the 88a durometer option), passenger and driver side mount upgrades or inserts and other mods.
Not sure where you came up with that, I've seen pretty much an even split with the 70a on the AWR, easily... but sounds like that the 88a may be where I have to go next to help it looks like. My 75a big bushing mount isn't cutting it, although I'm afraid the vibes might be pretty bad, I really don't too want much more than I have now (signature up to date).

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It's likely just because the temps are too cold for the tires to stick, honestly. A RMM upgrade can mitigate wheel hop, but it's not going to outright eliminate it in all condition types.

If you want even better results you can look into a RMM with a higher durometer (most people with the AWR seem to go for the 88a durometer option), passenger and driver side mount upgrades or inserts and other mods.
I fully agree with you on the cold. Cold tires don't grip. Weather has a huge effect on how a car is going to perform especially when it comes to grip.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
i have the AWR 70a and a Pierce 6pt and it wheel hops like boots in the drier if I get frisky in the rain. Moderate wheelspin is fine. If you're trying to burn the house down then it will wheel hop pretty bad in the rain. Not sure why anyone would try to do a burnout in the rain, but whatever... lol

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I fully agree with you on the cold. Cold tires don't grip. Weather has a huge effect on how a car is going to perform especially when it comes to grip.

i have the AWR 70a and a Pierce 6pt and it wheel hops like boots in the drier if I get frisky in the rain. Moderate wheelspin is fine. If you're trying to burn the house down then it will wheel hop pretty bad in the rain. Not sure why anyone would try to do a burnout in the rain, but whatever... lol
Yeah, it's almost certainly because of the cold and damp but it's not even trying to do a burnout, I'll be in 2nd and have traction but then try to accelerate quickly and it seems to break loose easily into actual wheel hop, but then again with e30 also, what do I expect? LOL... I'm just going to try a little more throttle modulation for now and in the spring once it starts getting warmer and drier see where I stand then... thanks for all your thoughts and input on this, it helps to hear from you guys on maybe setting my expectations properly! :)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I don't have access to AWR's sales figures but it's just a crapshoot inference from reading around about the mount. I saw way more positive things about and suggestions to get the 88a version than any other.
Fair enough man, and yeah maybe if I want to continue to run e30, especially once I get my IC and re-tuned, then I'll look at something stiffer in the late spring.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Yeah, it's almost certainly because of the cold and damp but it's not even trying to do a burnout, I'll be in 2nd and have traction but then try to accelerate quickly and it seems to break loose easily into actual wheel hop, but then again with e30 also, what do I expect? LOL... I'm just going to try a little more throttle modulation for now and in the spring once it starts getting warmer and drier see where I stand then... thanks for all your thoughts and input on this, it helps to hear from you guys on maybe setting my expectations properly! :)

Plot twist: Your tires are shit. [hihi]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Plot twist: Your tires are shit. [hihi]
LOL! For real though, no plot twist needed, I'm still trying to use up the stock all seasons.... LOVE the excellent ceramic pads that come with the tires and where I live it's mostly mild and rainy, so looking forward to stickier ones for sure!

Powerflex side inserts (street), 75a Torque Solution RMM and 2 pt traction bar and I was directed to this thread because I still get wheel hop, especially on e30 in the cold/wet... Sounds like the 6 pt is where the biggest difference is!
In the dry I have not been able to induce wheel hop since installing the 6 point however, in the wet I did get a little bit when I took off a bit too fast. I still need to get the driver side Powerflex mount. I'm really wishing I had gotten the 88 AWR instead of the 70. I've had it about a year and it was definitely an upgrade over stock but looking back now esp after break-in, I def would like some more firmness out of the RMM.